Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in Indonesia for expats?

Update to my previous post on retirement in Indonesia.

I saw an agent yesterday that used to be an Immigration Officer so he knows all the rules and the contacts etc. and, like everything in Indonesia, for a price, he can smooth the way to a retirement visa.

The rules someone else here has written but, my experience is like this:

Both my passport and my wifes were photo-copied.
Our marriage certificate was photo-copied.
Copies were made of my bank statement which qualifies our MM2H Fixed Deposit.
Copies were made of 2 pensions I receive from the UK Government which adds up to just over US$1,500/month.
Copies were made of a UK bank statement that shows those pensions are deposited.

The total cost for both of us for a visa that will last a year cost Rp 12.500,000 (US$1412).
An exit/entry permit is also required but that is negotiable as the requirement differs. Ours cost Rp3.000,000 (US$344) for the mult entry-exit.

In addition, we need to go to Singapore and give our passports to a fellow agent who will have the Indonesian Embassy endorse them. This costs an additional S$560 (US$440).....we then return to Jakarta where the visa is rubber stamped and dated on entry. We will do that on 28th November.

A renewal is available annually for about the same cost except it can be done in Indonesia.

The concerns of having a maid or driver, health insurance etc. is endorsed by the agent....I didn't need to do anything on that issue.
My wife doesn't qualify on age for the retirement visa so she gets what is called a spousal visa...about the same thing.

After 3 extensions we can apply for permanent residence which means a visa for 5 years. However, the rules are about to be changed so will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Davita; Oct 25th 2011 at 1:38 pm. Reason: wasn't finished but pressed send
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:59 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm pleased about the final paragraph, was beginning to think what a palaver but if you get a 5 year visa at the end of it, then worthwhile. Well done. You must have a lot of Patience
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you're right bakedbean!

Makes you think why anyone would complain about the MM2H 10 year visa in Malaysia.....that is a jewel.

I'm not very patient and whilst my explanation may sound longwinded it was mostly because I was looking for problems whilst the agent kept saying ...no problem...I guarantee!

For those interested to live in Indonesia please post or PM...I'd be happy to answer as best I can.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's great info, Davita
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Further update to my post #16
I don't think too many read this forum but, for the record, I'll complete my info.
All that I said in my previous post is now complete. I have a retirement visa and a multiple entry/exit visa that lasts a year.
The cost was as predicted and it was as simple as suggested because the agent was reliable. Other than a day trip for us to Singapore and back...they did all the other work. btw gotta love Singapore...if rich!

The Indonesian Govt., unlike Malaysia, does not make it easy to retire in Indonesia. However, Indonesia does have a lot to offer in terms of an affordable paradise on earth, once the shock of getting here is complete.

If anyone needs any more info I'd be happy to help...just ask.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Well done Davita. Not sure the Malaysian MM2H thingy is going so well. I heard the other day that the committee that reviews applications ( a max of 180 a month...and what do they do anyway?) missed a couple of meetings and the waiting list is now well over 500.

I heard numbers bandied about that The Malaysia Gonvernment want 15000 a year to join MM2H. Well they should do the math as 180 by 12 if they don't miss a meeting is only a possible 2160 a year. Maybe Indonesia might be easier after all.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:03 pm

Where did you read all this Strider?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

From a guy who is waiting for his application to be processed...and he is 500 and something in the list!!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:22 am

Oh dear... and the MM2H gov website is still suspended too
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I hope the MM2H program is not unravelling. We received ours about 2 years ago with the help of Joy-stay agency and it went smoothly. I applied from Canada and only came to Malaysia to receive the visa in our passports.

This MM2H is a back-up plan as our intent is to live in Indonesia where my wife originates. RI doesn't offer an easy path to stay, as she had given up her citizenship for Canada. We have stayed in Indonesia in and out for a few years by travelling around Malaysia/Thailand and returning to Vancouver every summer.
This procedure became tiresome so I've done the full Monty by receiving the expensive 'Retirement Visa' as described in earlier posts.

I would add that there are many expats living in Indonesia, particularly Bali. Most are either married to a national who can sponsor for a temporary visa called a Kitas, applied annually without leaving....then a permanent visa called a Kitap, applied for every 5 years.
Or, they work in Indonesia, usually school teachers, and get a visa sponsored by the Co. or school.
The visa issue, and property title issue, is an ongoing problem for most and creates much discussion on the RI Forums.

I have used the MM2H model to appeal to anyone in authority, like my General ranked Brother-in-Law, to see if some better RI Immigration arrangement can be accommodated. That's why I'm dismayed to hear it may not be as successful as I'd thought.
I cannot imagine that they want 15,000/year intake. I understood that there was only about that amount in Malaysia in total.

There is a new law regarding Immigration in RI. It has been passed into law but here they have a year to implement...... so we are on standby to hear the new ideas.
I intend to advise this Forum of those results when they transpire.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Davita
There is a new law regarding Immigration in RI. It has been passed into law but here they have a year to implement...... so we are on standby to hear the new ideas.
I intend to advise this Forum of those results when they transpire.

That's great Davita. As you've probably noticed, Indonesia forum isn't too lively (putting it bluntly) but like most forums, the more you post, the more you attract other posters..... so any info is great and might help some Brits or others out there. I take it you're out in Indonesia right now?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup...in Jakarta and plan to travel more within the archipelago now I have some reason to stay in Indonesia.
We were in Penang in Dec. for a couple of days in G hotel in Gurney...nice hotel and location. We returned to Jakarta and a couple of days later went to meet with some friends in Phuket...drove by your place there.
This forum isn't well attended...there are plenty of other Indonesian Expat forums but imo.......too lively.
I'll contribute some articles here to see if it can stimulate enthusiasm. Doesn't matter if no-one listens...I'm used to that!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

This forum is not very active but I notice from the head count that over 300 have visited this thread since I last posted so...here's a copy of an article I recently placed on another forum regarding "Expats in Indonesia":-

There is an interesting op-ed (P6) in yesterday's JakPost (Feb6) on the subject of introducing Dual-Nationality to ALL Indonesians that relinquished theirs to acquire another.

To summarize: "it states there is a movement among Indonesians abroad, endorsed and supported by the RI Ambassador to USA and the Consular in San Francisco to benefit RI by introducing Dual-Nationality".

The argument on the merits for global economic development by supporting Dual-Nationality get quite technical, but it is a well reasoned article.

I recall a similar idea was done in the Philippines around 2003. Many Filipinos had migrated, taken out other Citizenships, and had thrived. In retirement some wanted to return to their motherland and the Philippine Govt saw an economic benefit and created a new law to permit Dual-Citizenship to those previous ethnics. They were also permitted to purchase homes and land ......but I recall there was a limitation of something like 5000 sq metres of land.

As the world turns Nations need to be more integrated and not so isolated. There is attempt by Free Trade Zones (AFTA), ASEAN, Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), bilateral trade with BRIC and...dare I say.....even the old UK Commonwealth to increase this integration...so, it seems to my little mind that a change to investor potential by permitting 'foreign' ownership/entrepreneurship and business acumen to return to Indonesia......is not only desirable, but eventual.

Last edited by Davita; Feb 7th 2012 at 5:53 am.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Could not agree more. I wonder if the penny will ever drop with the Malaysia Government. Indonesia is starting to "show the way".
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your comment strider24.

But I'm not so sure that Indonesia is any more advanced than Malaysia. Malaysia created the MM2H. I see you have said it isn't as easy or useful as before...but I still see it as one of the best incentives for, particularly UK or Commonwealth residents, to reside relatively inexpensively and safely as their second home in the sun. Indonesia could well move forward but I think it would primarily benefit those expats with RI spouses or other connections to the country.

Indonesia is seeing the light on its global importance in the region. Especially as the move for financial services, industry and need for resources seems to be moving to Asia. After all, with 240 million Indonesians it is the 4th largest populated Nation on earth, and they are are reasonably educated. They also have natural resources coming out of their jatze!!!
Maintaining unity is a problem.

There's no doubt that Tourism could be a gold-mine for the Indonesian archipelago...especially eco-tourism. They just don't seem to know how to promote things in RI...almost backwards to the Malaysian MOT....but it is trying and will catch up.

I've much more to say but I'll leave the post here and hope it can stimulate debate...I believe Indonesia is on the cusp of development...you should see the world class malls in Jakarta...astonishing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.