Indon maid

Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indon maid

We've had Indon maids here in Singapore for over 10 years.
They been good and bad similar to a curate's egg.

iirc the salary of the earliest one was rupiah 2.5 million per month.
The maid we have now is paid Rupiah 6.4 million per month.
That's if I have got my figures correct.

When they've repatriated their salary most have used it wisely, buying land, building houses, sending brothers to school, paying agency fees for brothers to get overseas jobs etc.

But I've always wondered, without getting an answer from the maids, that's their prerogative, how much it would require for a family of say 7 or 8 to live for a month in the countryside in Indonesia, say a small town or village.

Nothing ott just average outgoings.

Anyone have a ball park figure
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indon maid

When I saw Rp 6.4M I thought WOW! no wonder these Indonesian maids go to Singapore to earn big money...then my friend says their Indonesian maid in Hong Kong earns Rp 7.5M.
Here in Bali we pay a part-time live-out maid a total of Rp 2.2M for 4hours/day and 6 days/week and that's considered generous....but she does more than just clean...she manages stuff in our absence. She also earns overtime if returning to help at dinner parties...usually Rp100,000/evening....and, if we have any friends/family visit, they usually give her a tip.
I cannot help with an average income for an Indonesian family except to say they do live on meagre wages...I don't know how they survive but the kampungs are full of smiley people and most have small vegetable lots or animal farms.
I'll try to find an answer and post back.

I love to travel by train thro' Java to see the scenery and the smiling children waving at a train or trying to sell something when the train stops.
On one trip Jakarta-Jogjakarta I had an enterprising young fellow standing on his pal's shoulders to reach the windows, on the rail side of the train, in a remote village station. He had a sign...'Map of Java/Bali Rp 20,000'
He didn't appear to sell any but seemed to know when the train was about to pull away when he turned his sign..it read 'Map of Java/Bali Rp10,000'
I was so impressed with his business acumen I gave him the Rp20,000 and I still recall the 'million dollar' waves and smiles I got from his 'gang' as we pulled from the station....they kept calling "Terimah Kasseh Mister..Sampai Jumpa" as they chased the train down the track....in bare feet!

I was also given the thumbs-up from a bunch of, what I found later in conversation, teachers travelling to a convention in Jogjakarta.

I still have that map as a reminder of my chamfered life....

Last edited by Davita; Aug 3rd 2017 at 2:53 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indon maid

The first maid we had who was very good wanted to rerurn to Indon to get married.
She kept in touch regularly and then went to HK because the pay was higher.
The family she worked with in HK then took her to Canada when they moved there and her salary was higher again.

The maids now available in Singapore are very poor in comparison and the missus has to train them how to cook and they just assist in marketing never being allowed to do a weekly shop on their own, not up to it unlike our first maid.

Also they will spend their money locally not seeming to know what it's worth.
Our maid now has a mobile phone which costs four times that which my missus uses.
When they return to Indon for their leave they always buy stuff here where it is ultra expensive compared to Indon. Of course all that is up to them as it's their money and how they spend it is their affair.
Also husbands who formally worked suddenly lose their Indon jobs and can't get another.