Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:18 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Originally Posted by Davita
Right now the weather in Bali is 27deg C, and its 1:45 pm. Here in the south there's a nice breeze. The evenings are slightly cooler and low humidity....problem is there are lots of tourists jamming up the small roads.
Sounds fantastic!

Tell me Davita, is it best to bring USD into Indonesia or do they widely accept debit/credit cards?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Like all of Asia, and resort places, the currency issue is one that needs careful attention and is similar...Bali is no exception.
My critical suggestion is do NOT exchange any money with street vendors, go to a reputable bank and avoid the local touts at the airport.
I'd suggest bringing some US$ in crisp notes, then exchange a US$100 bill at the airport Xchange loket for the taxi, drinks and subsidiaries until settled etc...better still, pre-book your transport from the hotel and they wait for you with a sign...imo, it is the best intro to any country to feel welcomed....even at a little extra cost. Then, when settled, find the nearest reputable exchange office and do a simple exchange to local currency for casual purchase and drinks etc.
Malaysian currency may not be a good idea as it is too vulnerable to exchange rates.
The current exchange rate is around IDR14,000 to US$1. Tipping is very low...some restos will add 5% and others zilch...I usually tip between 5-10% depending...remember the currency is in thousands so check the zero's carefully and stack you RI currency in your purse/wallet appropriately and not at random.
All debit/credit card are accepted, even in ATM machines, but the exchange rate will be determined by the bank you use.
Big purchases, hotels, most restaurants and tourist facilities will accept major credit cards...I use mine all the time but the exchange rate and fees are determined by the banks.
Eating out, except at big name brand restos is relatively cheap
Reasonable evening for 2, in any snazzy resto in Kuta, Sanur, Legian, Seminyak, with a couple glasses of plonk, should be around US$50.