Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Old Jul 10th 2015, 5:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Air New Zealand flights delayed and cancelled per this article
with people being stranded for 3 days.

From The Guardian

From what I am reading it has been spewing ash for the past 7 days but it was not seen as a significant eruption.

EErrmmm. Is this the warning before the full monty.

We are hoping to visit Bali for the first time at the beginning of September so I am really hoping it will calm down well before then.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 5:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

Well, good luck to you

Seems to me there's too many volcanoes, earthquakes and stuff around Indonesia.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:04 am
`

Default Re: Mt Ruang still spewing ash. Enough to disrupt flifghts in and out of Bali.

We got volcanoes and 'quakes BB right here on home ground BB. Have felt a fair few quakes now and I really do not like them.

Still. I do wish to see those herons and some other bits of birdlife & ole MrBEVS is quite set on visiting the place, although probably to thwart my Borneo wish.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 10:40 pm
`

Looks like we shall have to postpone on the idea of visiting Bali . The volcanic ash advisory service state that this situation with the volcano pluming ash could continue for weeks . It is that type of volcano it seems.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Will be another time I'm sure
Old Jul 14th 2015, 2:50 am
`

True.

Shan't write it off for good and all.
I rather wish to see the white herons and there is some trekking himself is interested in.

Typical timing though. Our minds turn to Bali and the volcano , it say no no no.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:06 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
True.

Shan't write it off for good and all.
I rather wish to see the white herons and there is some trekking himself is interested in.

Typical timing though. Our minds turn to Bali and the volcano , it say no no no.
Well, I'm hoping it calms down before November because I was hoping to visit Davita's home turf.

Not sure how it works with these things though, funny chaps volcanoes (not even sure if that's the plural, I assume it's like potato and tomato)?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:38 am
`

How rainy would November be do you think? Enough to douse the thing
Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Mount Raung apparently spewed more steam and ash yesterday and this morning... and the forecast wind said it would travel to Bali.
Virgin and Jetstar cancelled some longer range flights but the airport remained open and all domestic flights were OK.
My view is towards the end of the runway and there isn't any hint of smoke etc.
I think some airlines, coming from afar, are more cautious as they don't want to divert and cost money....whereas the domestics can divert, or return, for little cost.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:10 am
`

You are likely ,astutely, correct.

I went to the effort of checking with assorted travel insurance companies as to what cover we would be given if we chose to fly. Answer was that there is nothing available to cover delays & diversions.

Then we thought we could choose to fly anyway , however just as we had that discussion the major airlines cancelled flights again. We could probably manage extra costs but altering travel dats would be a pain in the bum workwise for MrBEVS
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The volcano continuously spouts smoke and ash but, as can be seen on many pics, it rises and stays as a funnel and doesn't actually disperse. The direction it takes is determined by the wind and that is currently away from Bali.

It's interesting that only Virgin and Jetstar seem to be cancelling...my wife had 3 girlfriends arrive from Jakarta today on different flights. One arrived at 9:00am (Air Asia) and 2 others between 2-4pm (Lion Air) and there were no delays.....and that route (JKT-DPS) goes right past Mt Raung. The route from OZ is from the other direction.

The news here in Bali doesn't even mention the issue but it seems headline stuff to Australian and NZ press.
A useful App is Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!
Select the map over Bali and all the aircraft, in the vicinity, can be observed. Look for Gn Raung in East Java to get an idea of location.

Last edited by Davita; Aug 10th 2015 at 4:07 pm. Reason: add info
Old Aug 14th 2015, 2:35 am
`

Will do and thanks for that Davita.

I do wish it would settle down . We had rather set our hearts on making a visit.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Latest update....
"The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has declared that the Mt. Raung Volcano in East Java currently poses no threat to aviation."
Old Aug 25th 2015, 4:05 am
`

Oddly enough, my mind once again turned to Bali just last evening .

We do need a break.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Right now the weather in Bali is 27deg C, and its 1:45 pm. Here in the south there's a nice breeze. The evenings are slightly cooler and low humidity....problem is there are lots of tourists jamming up the small roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.