Yogyakarta

Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yogyakarta

I'm not too optimistic about getting any replies on this but here goes anyway.

Has anyone visited Yogyakarta in Central Java - looks very interesting, easy to get to and far enough away from Mount Raung that there should be no airport problems.

++IVV
Old Jul 30th 2015, 12:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yogyakarta

I'm totally clueless about Indonesia. Never set foot in the country (yet).

I just googled the place and surprised that it's named after Ayodhya in India. How interesting. I imagine there must be some interesting history.

Raffles was on Java, wasn't he.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:05 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've bitten the bullet and we will go there for a few days in September. It just 20km from the most active volcano in Indonesia - live dangerously, as they say!

If I make it out alive, at least I'll be able to post something on the Indonesian forum.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good time to get out of Penang, September being the monsooniest month of the year. Though......is Java any better? take a big brolley.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of books have been written about Indonesia and what happened there with the Japanese POW camps.
And how soldiers and people escaped there from Singapore and what happened to them.
Very interesting if you like to read those sort of books for history.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:37 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by ex reg
A lot of books have been written about Indonesia and what happened there with the Japanese POW camps.
And how soldiers and people escaped there from Singapore and what happened to them.
Very interesting if you like to read those sort of books for history.
Yes, that would be very interesting ex reg. If you can point me to something on the internet it would be great as I've kind of given up reading books (too difficult for my old eyes!)
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

All the books I read are from my local library, whether in UK or Singapore.

The library in Singapore has many good books about Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia during WW2. I keep a record of the books I read there.
Unfortunately atm I'm in UK and can't remember the names of the books.

Of course, Surabaya had a lot to do with WW2 and the years bringing independence after WW2.

Cilacup was a British Naval base iirc.

The Riau archipeligo and the other smaller islands south played a big part in soldiers and nurses escape from Singapore and the rivers in aiding travel over to Bengkulu and Padang.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:55 pm

Noted that you're not reading books IVV but if Mrs IVV is interested the book Raffles by Victoria Glendinning is a good read. I can lend

I always think of the Singapore connection with Raffles but of course he spent more time in Java as the Governor there and the history from that time period is quite interesting.

A lot of interesting little facts. Folks used to get married at the drop of a hat in those days. Why? Because there was so much disease back then, so wise to get on with it quickly.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Yogyakarta (pronounced colloquially as Jogja) twice, once by a 7 hour train journey from Bandung and another by plane from Jakarta. My wife went there and back, a month or so ago, by plane from Bali.
Jogja is an interesting place to visit...it was the Capital of the Dutch East Indies before Indonesia became independant. Therefore, there is a lot of history, culture, religion there.
It is also a starting point to visit Borobudur...the biggest Buddha temple in the jungle. The story is....it was hidden for centuries until Raffles found it.
Jogja has a Sultan's live-in palace, open to the public, which is very interesting. Take a tour guide with you and check the dress code...it will take a few hours to tour and see the history. Also, Jogja is famous for batik and silversmiths...so take your wallet.
Jogja is well worth a visit if ancient and history is your passion but not much night-life for the young at heart. Food is good and like most hotels, transport, etc is cheap....at least by Bali/Jakarta standard.
I don't know much more but any questions....I'll ask my boss and her family.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:27 am
Hostage Negotiator

You know, before I started looking for somewhere in Indonesia not likely to be affect by the Mount Ruang ash cloud, I had never heard of Yogyakarta and yet it seems as important to Indonesian history and culture as Siem Reap is to Cambodia.

I am really looking forward to spending some time there and visiting Borobudur. The countryside looks amazing as well. I'd better start looking for something to improve my knowledge about Raffles though - maybe there's a movie about his life that I can download?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:22 am

There's a bit of writing here:
Two Raffles. Part I: The Governor of Java - History - 103 Meridian East, Singapore
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:23 am

As so often is the case, his wife Olivia was quite a character. What's that saying? Behind every good man.......
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
As so often is the case, his wife Olivia was quite a character. What's that saying? Behind every good man.......
Raffles died aged 44....telling isn't it...wiki....The little money the family had went into schooling Raffles. He attended a boarding school. In 1795, at the age of 14, Raffles started working as a clerk in London for the British East India Company, the trading company that shaped many of Britain's overseas conquests. In 1805 he was sent to what is now Penang in the country of Malaysia

I'm 78. Left public school in Scotland at age 14 with no job...joined as an RAF Apprentice and became an Officer ... and still married after 28 years to the same wife...so what does that say?
I might try a debate and satirical blog on those characters in BE history; who became famous and yet...had a limited life span. Queen Victoria was a virgin and never married....really?

<snipped>

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Aug 3rd 2015 at 2:38 pm. Reason: You're always such fun, Davita!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:39 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by Davita
Raffles died aged 44....telling isn't it...wiki....The little money the family had went into schooling Raffles. He attended a boarding school. In 1795, at the age of 14, Raffles started working as a clerk in London for the British East India Company, the trading company that shaped many of Britain's overseas conquests. In 1805 he was sent to what is now Penang in the country of Malaysia

I'm 78. Left public school in Scotland at age 14 with no job...joined as an RAF Apprentice and became an Officer ... and still married after 28 years to the same wife...so what does that say?
I might try a debate and satirical blog on those characters in BE history; who became famous and yet...had a limited life span. Queen Victoria was a virgin and never married....really?

<snipped>
How can a guy so young have achieved so much - do you think he lied about his age
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

My post # 13 was intended to advocate that, perhaps, history was controlled by those able to achieve such.
Consequently, power is accorded to those with communication availability, or, those who can 'snip" or censor information.

Canadian Marshall McCluhan....the 'media is the messenger'.

I just do not accept censorship...I stand behind what I say..if that is uncomfortable for adults of BE ...I suggest you talk to your children....

Last edited by Davita; Aug 3rd 2015 at 4:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.