Moving to Jakarta

Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

tb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Jakarta

Hi all

New to the forums, but I've been an expat for quite some time (albeit not in SEA).

I'm relocating to Jakarta in 4-8 weeks after a solid job offer, and after initial research, have a few questions that some of you maybe so kind to help with.
  • The office is located in Central Jakarta, and I'm looking toward a 1/2BR apartment nearby. Budget would be around 1.8-2.5k USD, is this enough? What are the better residences?
  • I would prefer to get by on taxi's. Is this sustainable, or is it suggested to own a car?
  • I'm not married, but my partner will be following me. This leaves me in a position to look at visa options for her. I've seen numerous notes online concerning visa-runs to Singapore, is this fair game?
  • Unfortunately (due to the marriage issue), my company cannot offer health insurance to my partner. Advice on packages and cost would be appreciated.
  • It's likely that we'll continue with our plans and 'try' for a baby in the next year. As we're not married, and it's Jakarta, I would imagine that it be best for her to give birth in her home country (she's Polish, I'm British)? I see Singapore as an option, but not so keen on the potential outlay!

Think that's it for now...although am sure that there will be more!

Oh...I'm a keen (albeit average) golfer. Plenty of courses in Jakarta, however where are the best ones close to Central?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Jakarta

Hi tb80 and welcome to the forum.
Although my wife and I have an apartment in Jakarta we normally live in Bali and only use the apartment for visits. However, in the absence of better info, I'll attempt some of your questions and hope someone else will chip in.
My first comment would be to make sure your employer gets the correct Visa for your stay. Indonesia is not very welcoming to those with incorrect employment contracts...they seem to think you will be stealing someone's job. In particular, you will need a work permit, so make sure those items are satisfied.
If you work in central Jakarta (called CBD) then there are many hi-rise apartments within your budget. I suggest you approach your employers HR to find for you as many landlords expect 1 years rent up-front.
Taxis are cheap and available and a car is not. Look for the Blue Bird Taxi Co. they work on meter and have stations near hotels and apartment blocks...if you get along with a particular driver get his cell No. and call him, he will get to know where you normally wish to go and can bring you home...(safely).
Lots of golfing available in the city and outside as well and fairly cheap although most require use of a caddy. Remember, in Indonesia, labour and help is cheap. You will soon find other expats and they will show where the best courses are.
The visas available are:
1. Visa on Arrival (VOA) it costs US$25 and lasts 30 days and is extendable for another 30 days, then leave.
2. A Tourist Visa, issued in the applicant's country is valid for 60 days, then leave
3. A Social Budhiya (Sosbud) is issued in the applicants country, or elsewhere other than RI, and is valid initially for 60 days but is extendable for up to 6 months. It requires a sponsor from Jakarta.

I suggest 1 of the first 2 initially until you get some info on how to apply for No.3
Many expats do visa runs to/fro S'pore/KL as fares are cheap.

Cannot help with the baby thing but suggest you will find an answer after you arrive. Making babies in Indonesia is not unique...there are 240 million of them.

Hope this helps your info base...fire away anything else and I'll try to help.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

tb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond reputetb80 has a reputation beyond repute

Great start, thanks.

My new employer has a few expats amongst the ranks, therefore one hopes that they'll arrange the correct visa! Worth to double-check nonetheless.

Thanks again
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Brownieuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Not sure if you still need this info but i'll give it anyway!

I live in the CBD and your budget should be suffice. However, most landlords require a full years rent in advance. Plenty of great apartment complexes around Pacific Place mall and Senayan.

30 day visa runs to singapore are generally fine. I do them a lot. But for your mrs to get a residence kitas ull probs have to marry . . . . Its technically illegal for you to reside together unmarried. But its not enforced.

I have private medical with cigna. Covers pregnancy after 10 months cover. All emergency care and repatriation costs. its around 1000£+ annual. Outpatient, GP and dentist costs are cheap in JKT so I pay for them separately.

Giving birth in Jakarta has some great reviews from expats. Bare in mind Indo has a limited sufficiently screened blood bank and limited neonatal care. Plus they have the highest c section rate in the world. And nurses dont speak English.

Senayan Golf is good for Central. My fiance is head pro at Cengareng Golf Course and soon Pondok Indah if your interested.

Peace! Safe travels and settling into Jakarta!

Last edited by Brownieuk; Aug 4th 2013 at 9:33 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks - appreciate the sound advice.

We're here now, and all secured with a very nice apartment. We've decided to marry in December, therefore only a few months to swerve the authorities!

I'll check out the health insurance, and I've already been to Senayan Golf (on the way there later after a few hours in the office actually!).

Certainly interested in picking up a few more lessons, so please feel free to drop me a pm for your fiancé.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you guys know that the PM function on here will only work after you've done 3 posts so BrownieUK needs a couple more.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Brownieuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry tb80 work is manic! If you are still interested ...

CengKereng is near the airport, it's a great little break from the manicness of central JKT. I'm rather envious Daniel spends his days there, its green and quiet!! Their website is http://www.lga-indonesia.com/index.html

Good Luck
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:28 am
Just Joined

merci.

have already dropped a note