Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK.. for a new Indonesian life

Leaving the UK.. for a new Indonesian life

Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

indonesia_trek is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Leaving the UK.. for a new Indonesian life

I'd been browsing many forums for general help and info - but this seems the best to join as it's mainly geared towards Brits and also having an Indonesian section, that is what I'm here for!

OK, to start off with... I've got fed up of living in England now and hearing of a person (another!) who decided to 'get out' and this time went off to live in China to marry his online sweetheart (she can't speak English and he no Chinese, but thanks to an 'app' they then can talk to each other ...until the battery goes flat!) however despite all of that and the possible problems associated with it, he left early this year and has not only bought an apartment in China... but from the last news I had he is now happily married and starting up a business there too.

So - if he can do it well anyone can I thought, and so rather than stay in the UK moaning about life here (or how it used to be!) the best thing is to just do something about it, and just........... GO!

Indonesia was just a far away country before until I met a fantastic woman there (...yes online, but having seen MTV's Catfish programme I did all the necessary checks to avoid problems and she is who she says she is ) - we really adore each other, and it is because of her that Indonesia is now my chosen location.

The internet in the UK where I live is just SO bad that often it simply just doesn't work, and so our communication is often difficult so we plan to meet next year in June when she has time off work for a holiday. I'm so looking forward to that and being able to not only see her, but explore Indonesia at the same time.

From my basic research online I firstly find that the currency transfer from the UK to Indonesia is very much in my favour, as £1 = 19,000 Indonesian Rupiah but relating to money matters do any restrictions apply to moving money into Indonesia, and what about a foreigner getting a bank account set up there etc? I'm not sure how all that works!

Where I'm also getting stuck is secondly Marriage in Indonesia (mixed marriage with an Indonesian woman) as I plan to marry and then permanently live in Indonesia with her, and so wonder if this helps makes things easier, or creates even more paperwork! Also is there anything we can do right now (before I leave next year in June) to possibly prepare for that event so hopefully (as she wants to) we can marry during my visit in June.

Thirdly to sort out is property purchase in Indonesia.
As I understand it foreigners are now permitted to purchase and own apartments + office space in Indonesia (if the building has a Strata title status) - but NOT the land on which it stands!

Ownership of an apartment in a high rise building it seems can be quite a nightmare with legals relating to ones 'space' in the building, but I would really prefer to buy some sort of a house (with a small garden/outside area if possible for our future 2 children to play in!) but am unsure if 'garden' or 'open area outside' = land, which it appears cannot be bought by a foreigner.

Basically why am I here...

Well possibly to start an ongoing story line but I really need advice and to know from anyone who can give any help, any comment etc on how to move from the UK to Indonesia (on a permanent basis), how best to marry the wonderful woman I have met... learn about buying a property, hopefully a house not an apartment. Where the best location in Indonesia is to bring up children, (Kindergarden, good schools etc) and finally... how best to move my self employed ('sole trader') business over into Indonesia ...thus completing the change necessary to finally live and work there with a lovely wife (and in time 2 children) ...and be able to run my business there.

I know it is not going to be easy (and some folks might think I'm just crazy ) but from the time listening to the chap who moved to China, I know it's not impossible, yes it will be stressful at times and can be a very bureaucratic experience full of red tape and loads of forms to fill in, but in the end (if one keeps going through the processes required), and does everything 'by the book' so to speak, it is well worth it in the end.

I think I have covered everything - so any thoughts, comments or assistance would be much appreciated!

Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK.. for a new Indonesian life

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about Indonesia I'm afraid but hopefully Davita will be along soon to chip in.

There was a very similar thread to yours in the Philippines section not long ago. I would really suggest you get to know your internet friend in person before making commitments. You might also like to check out visas first. Assuming everything works out and you think of marriage, doesn't necessarily mean you can live there. I'm sure Davita can advise on the visas. Visa is the first thing to think about before you go,any further.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

indonesia_trek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your reply bakedbean, and an advanced thanks to Davita too.

My online relationship is 100% ok, the woman is genuine and I know video messaging isn't on a par to actually meeting in person (and that's why we are to meet next June) but we are deeply committed to each other and so there is no real worry or concerns there.

I have (since posting) now found out a great deal more about marriage which may be useful for others viewing this thread.....

For any marriage in Indonesia one must pay great attention to the religion of the fiancee.
We are not of the same religion (she is Muslim) so in order to marry her I would need to convert (which is just fine), as she is the one who I want to be with.

I have also found out that any foreigner planning to marry an Indonesian should get a prenuptial agreement for the purpose of protection, not just for the husband but for the wife too - as it seems the Indonesian government can by law take property away if a pre-nup was not created PRIOR to marriage.
This is because marriage law imposes a joint property regime so property acquired during the course of a marriage can become community property.
In regards to community property however, a husband (or wife) can act on the consent of both parties.
Islamic compilation law (specifically for Muslims) stipulates that: A husband or wife is NOT allowed to sell/transfer the community property without the consent of the other - so consent must be obtained from the other spouse.
A pre-nup thus greatly simplifies the legals, in relation to this and other matters!

In addition (again relating to mixed marriage), when an Indonesian wife delivers a baby in Indonesia, it must be reported within 10 days to get a Foreign Birth Certificate, otherwise the Civil Registry Office requires a Court Decree.

The baby needs to get a passport too from the embassy.
In the past a baby born in a mixed-marriage (with foreign father) the baby's nationality went to the father and under that old law citizenship could only be handed down via an Indonesian father, so children born to an Indonesian woman and a foreigner could not be citizens.

They could only live in Indonesia on temporary permits.

A new law however provides children from a mixed-marriage to have 'dual citizenship' until they reach 18 - they then have to choose from one citizenship, either Indonesian or the other.

If the foreign father wants to become a Indonesian citizen then those who have been living in the country for 5 years will be able to apply for Indonesian citizenship, but they must give up their original citizenship and be able to speak Indonesian, among other conditions.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Indo_trek and welcome to the forum.
I note you already found the other expat Indonesian forum where you may get some good advice...and some facetious responses...it's like that.

I'm Scottish and 27 years ago, in Hong Kong, I married a Christian Indonesian Flight Attendant and we're still at it...married I mean. We also married again in a church in Jakarta a few days later...just to satisfy the family...so I cannot comment about what others have said on the marriage subject.

The line-up of visas to visit Indonesia are...
1. Visa on Arrival (VOA) it costs US$35 and is for 30 days and can be extended for another 30 days for another US$35.
2. Tourist visa issued by the nearest RI Embassy/Consul in your home country...different prices (check the website) but they last 60 days and are not supposed to be extended... but I know many who have managed.
3. Social Budaya (Sosbud) This requires a sponsor from Indonesia to write a letter of invitation which you take to the RI Embassy/Consul nearest your home. A draft can be seen on that other website. It lasts initially 60 days and is extendable monthly for up to 6 months.
4. Retirement Visa for those over 55.
5. Spousal Kitas visa if married to an Indonesian...it lasts a year and is extendable. A permanent 5 year visa (Kitap) is available after 3 years.

There are other visas but mainly for those in business or working for a Company...but beyond the scope of this post.

Banking..it is not supposed to be available unless you have a Kitas. International banks like HSBC will not allow but some local banks do.

Generally, Indonesia doesn't have infrastructures to welcome foreigners...the people are wonderfully friendly but the country seems to use the principle of 'manage by chaos'. The roads are run down and traffic is horrendous, particularly in Jakarta, Surabaya and Bali (where I live).
Airlines to get around Indonesia, and most of the neighborhood Asian cities, are very cheap. I like the railways in Java but they are slow. Ferries are disasters imminent!
Purchasing freehold land by foreigners is not permitted but leasing is. There are ways around but I'll leave that for the meantime.
OK, enough to 'whet' your appetite...It's not all doom but it ain't paradise either.
Fire any questions.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

interesting post. What's the job scene like for non Indonesians who would like to work and live in one of the cities for 4-5 years?
Old Aug 9th 2015, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
interesting post. What's the job scene like for non Indonesians who would like to work and live in one of the cities for 4-5 years?
Good question but, I'm afraid, not the answer you might enjoy.
Basically there are no casual job opportunities for a foreigner in Indonesia.
Some International Schools can employ teachers but a degree in the subject and some years teaching experience is required.
There are many English conversation 'schools' who have 'teachers' but they work under the umbrella and, if caught, have been known to be criminally punished, deported and a red-flagged in their passport.
I drink in my local pub(s) with foreigners (mainly UK and Ozzies) that 'work' using internet business. Some stay for years and others just vanish.
Serious employment opportunities do exist in Bali, and other resort areas, for qualified foreigners....
Chefs; Diving instructors (PADI); Hotel Management; Spa Consultant; Realtors? Professional footies?...but again, a registered company will need to provide the work permit called an IMTA and the visa to stay called a KITAS.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Davita
Good question but, I'm afraid, not the answer you might enjoy.
Basically there are no casual job opportunities for a foreigner in Indonesia.
Some International Schools can employ teachers but a degree in the subject and some years teaching experience is required.
There are many English conversation 'schools' who have 'teachers' but they work under the umbrella and, if caught, have been known to be criminally punished, deported and a red-flagged in their passport.
I drink in my local pub(s) with foreigners (mainly UK and Ozzies) that 'work' using internet business. Some stay for years and others just vanish.
Serious employment opportunities do exist in Bali, and other resort areas, for qualified foreigners....
Chefs; Diving instructors (PADI); Hotel Management; Spa Consultant; Realtors? Professional footies?...but again, a registered company will need to provide the work permit called an IMTA and the visa to stay called a KITAS.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it will be difficult to obtain permanent work.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As in most "Developing Countries" the State prioritises employment for citizens. Foreigners are not encouraged to come and work in Indonesia.