Jakarta;Expat living

Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jakarta;Expat living

from Worriedmum on a previous thread.
Cost of living and other issues
Hi
My daughter,six months old baby and her husband are moving in 4 weeks to Jacarta.Can any expat living there put my mind at rest ,sorry if this is the incorrect thread.
Advice on well baby clinics
General hospital care
Air poluttion/health risks- she has athsma
wHERE to live his job is Pacific Square area near large shoppin mall
Safety for my daughter and baby while out walking/park ect- both europeans
Moskitos, shots etc.
Any advice just to put me at rest.They are currently living in Doha and familiar with the culture.
Thank you in advance
RQuote

worriedmum...I hope you don't mind that I copy/pasted your questions here as they were different to the previous subject heading.

I don't have good news I'm afraid.
I presume that your S-in-L is moving to Jakarta as he already has employment, and a good position within a Company. This being the case it is normal for the employer's HR Dept. to deal with all the family visas, housing, medical etc.
I hope so, otherwise it will be bad news, as the bureacracy for getting those in Indonesia, without help, is horrendous.
The hospital care will depend on the level of medical insurance the family has. Foreigners have virtually no access to public medical care and frankly, wouldn't want it. Most Expats go to Singapore to have serious medical attention.
Air pollution in Central Jakarta is nearly always smoggy, due to car exhaust!
There are few parks or places to walk in Jakarta...most people go from airconditioned apartments using airconditioned cars to get to large airconditioned malls.
Pacific Square is about as central in Jakarta as anywhere and there are many 'expensive' apartments nearby.
I hope your family is well compensated for this experience because I don't know any foreign family that would voluntarily live there without a good, well paid, job.

Jakarta is NOT a beautiful city.....it has infrastructure problems, serious flooding during rainy seasons, gringy air quality, pretty lousy medical care but 5 star malls and hotels. Food and clothing and help like maids, nannies, drivers, handymen etc. is cheap.

I'm sorry if my answers may make you more worried but I'm just saying it like it is.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jakarta;Expat living

Davita
Thank you for your honesty and frankness and what you have told me has confirmed my worst fears.Son in law works for 5 star "shiney "hotel group without mentioning names..so he is sorted.He is currently there checking things out..glowing reports coming back to my daughter.Things like proper baby /hospital care would not be high on his agenda. Looks like the decision is made despite my advice to the contary.I have not lived in Jacarta but from what I have heard and read not a place for a family with young baby.Thanks again and mabe let you know the outcome.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Worriedmum...please don't allow me to create a family dispute..

If your daughter is well looked after by her husband's employers, with some adjustment, she could enjoy the lifestyle offered in Jakarta and in travelling greater Indonesia/Asia.
It is just different to EU...i.e. a walk in the park is NOT something done here. The streets are filthy and virtually have no pavements for prams. Most children, even in malls or restaurants, are carried by maids or pushed in foldable wheelies. Annoyingly I often see the mums on ahead...texting on a smartphone...!
Depending on housing allowance granted by the employer...huge houses are available for rent with pool, garden, maids etc. all in Central Jakarta. Otherwise, apartment living is normal...but apartment blocks usually have pools, children playgrounds, tennis etc..
There are many Expats, from all over the rest of the world, who live well in Jakarta. You daughter should easily find communities of travelling spouses as they are widely advertised. Especially those associated with young children as they often have 'get togethers', and communicate their particular problems/anxieties....she will not be alone!...
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

Hi Davita
Thanks for that re assuring to say the least.Looks like hubby will get 2 bed ex /apartment owned by the comany near his work,it also has pool and near that mall.So mabe not so bad,they plan on staying a year and then back to Eu or USA.Thanks again I am just over protective of my only daughter and grand child.They have survived Middle East for 5 years guess a year here is managable and mabe I should chill as they say,Thanks again from a cool and windy fresh west of Ireland
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived, worked and visited Jakarta over a number of years.
Although it is not the prettiest City in the world it is not a bad place to live at all. The standard of high end medical care is top notch. Your daughter will love the many huge shopping malls which are far superior to anything you will find in the UK. You will also be surprised how many UK retail stores operate in Jakarta.

It will be reasonably cheap to hire a full time or part time maid so that your daughter and her husband can enjoy the reasonably good night life that Jakarta has to offer.

Also they are just a few hours drive some beautiful countryside whey could go for long weekends etc. They are also just an hour or so flight from Bali !

The traffic in Jakarta is very bad in certain locations and the pollution can be quite bad. But overall I think it is a great place to live.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

hong-konger

Thanks for your "hands on" input really great and by all accounts has given me a better insight into what her life may be with her family.It really seems no different from where she is curently living Doha Qatar from a point of view of traffic and pollution although the later has improving infrastructure.
Who knows I may even make a trip to Jacarta in the near future to experince the great delights of Asia.
The benifits of having children in far flung places you get to visit!
Thanks again
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you will have a wonderful time if / when you visit. Make sure you include Bali in your itinerary and you could also have few days stop over in Hong Kong either on the way there or back.
Old May 1st 2014, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi All
Just quick update my daughter and family are settling into Jacarta and enjoying so far.So far she has not managed to find a Well Baby Clinic .they have good insurance her baby is 8 months and would like to find english speaking/trained gp.Thanks so much
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi. Glad its all working out and hope they find a good doctor soon. Its different to the UK system. Everything is private in Indonesia but I am sure they will find someone suitable soon.
Old May 2nd 2014, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much