Repatriating to the UK

Old May 23rd 2017, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Martineast67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repatriating to the UK

Planning to repatriate to U.K. April 2018 ( now May 2017 ).

Have an Indonesian Wife and a 18 month old child ( already U.K. Passport ).

Not lived in UK since 1997 ( 14 years in LA and 7 in Bali ).

Want to know about following :

Plan for wife's legal status ( married 7 years ) in the U.K. Regarding stay permit and work permit ?

Conditions for us to join Schools and National Health

Plus plan to buy house. Open couple of businesses.

Such a long time since I've been living in UK. Anyone have wisdom or guidance ?
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repatriating to the UK

Originally Posted by Martineast67

Plan for wife's legal status ( married 7 years ) in the U.K. Regarding stay permit and work permit ?

Welcome to BE.

You will need a spouse visa for your wife, your child is a British Citizen so can just enter, details of the spouse visa can be found here..

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

Please be aware of the financial requirements, they are EITHER savings of £62,500 in a bank for the last 6 months, except if they are from the sale of a house, or you have to have been earning at least the equivalent of £18,600 a year fro the last 6 months where you are now AND have a job to go to in the UK earning at least the same starting within 3 months of arrival, failing this you will need to be working in the UK for 6 months earning at least the £18,600 a year.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Martineast67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

You will need a spouse visa for your wife, your child is a British Citizen so can just enter, details of the spouse visa can be found here..

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

Please be aware of the financial requirements, they are EITHER savings of £62,500 in a bank for the last 6 months, except if they are from the sale of a house, or you have to have been earning at least the equivalent of £18,600 a year fro the last 6 months where you are now AND have a job to go to in the UK earning at least the same starting within 3 months of arrival, failing this you will need to be working in the UK for 6 months earning at least the £18,600 a year.

Covering that amount is luckily ok for us. But I want to get my head around ( because one of the ideas for a business is a cafe - restaurant ).

Exactly what is the procedure and how long before wife can become active member of our working family ? As in when and how does she go about getting work status ?

As we will be creating a new business that will also employ current residents. She will not as such be taking anyone's job. Not sure that has anything to do with the situation. But we are not going back to drain the system.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martineast67

Welcome to BE.

You would be best to post your questions in our US Forums. Click on the link below and it will take you to the index page of the Main UK Forum. At the top you will see a list of subforums...including an Immigration Forum. Only questions about visas and citizenship should be posted in that forum. The rest of your questions should be posted in the Main US Forum.

Hope this helps.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2017 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Typo
Old May 24th 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Martineast67...Jerseygirl is right...you will get much more info on the UK site than here. I think she typo'd US but meant UK.
Have you been disillusioned about living in Bali or looking for a better opportunity? Has your wife been to UK?
My Indonesian wife always felt in UK she was somehow always looked at and believed it racist...I told her it was because no-one believes such a pretty girl would hang onto the arm of such a craggy old Scotsman.
So we immigrated to Canada in 1990 then lived in Jakarta for 5 years and now Bali for 5.
I could never contemplate going back to UK unless in an exceptional summer...which is rare.