Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Holiday trip to see orangutans, dragons and turtles

Holiday trip to see orangutans, dragons and turtles

Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Holiday trip to see orangutans, dragons and turtles

Hello from Canada.

My husband and I are in the process in planning a trip to visit Indonesia to see the orangutans, dragons and if possible the turtles.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday trip to see orangutans, dragons and turtles

Hi willmore and a hearty welcome from a previous Tsawwassenite.... but now in Bali.

Indonesian wildlife is probably the most diverse in the world and IMO should be what tourists come to Indonesia to see. I'm sad to say that the infrastructure to accomplish that kind of eco-tourism hasn't been well developed and it still takes adventurous type navigation to get to see the animals and nature.

My best advice would be to search for Tour Agents that provide that kind of tourism. I have no experience, as it isn't my interest, but if you ask any questions I'll be happy to assist.

The Orangutangs live in Sumatra and Kalimantan. The Dragons are in Komodo Island (a National Park) and Rinca Island (easier to get to) from Flores.... and there is a Turtle farm in Bali.

Indonesia is bigger than most people expect and stretches thru' many time zones. It also has the 4th largest population on earth and the most amazing flaura/fauna as well as unique birds and animals.
The many diverse languages (Bahasa Indonesia is the common one), cultures and traditions, make it the ideal travelers heaven and I wish the Gov't would improve its management for that kind of tourism...it is trying but Indonesians are not well known for 'good' management but expert in 'graft' management....
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Davita
Hi willmore and a hearty welcome from a previous Tsawwassenite.... but now in Bali.

Indonesian wildlife is probably the most diverse in the world and IMO should be what tourists come to Indonesia to see. I'm sad to say that the infrastructure to accomplish that kind of eco-tourism hasn't been well developed and it still takes adventurous type navigation to get to see the animals and nature.

My best advice would be to search for Tour Agents that provide that kind of tourism. I have no experience, as it isn't my interest, but if you ask any questions I'll be happy to assist.

The Orangutangs live in Sumatra and Kalimantan. The Dragons are in Komodo Island (a National Park) and Rinca Island (easier to get to) from Flores.... and there is a Turtle farm in Bali.

Indonesia is bigger than most people expect and stretches thru' many time zones. It also has the 4th largest population on earth and the most amazing flaura/fauna as well as unique birds and animals.
The many diverse languages (Bahasa Indonesia is the common one), cultures and traditions, make it the ideal travelers heaven and I wish the Gov't would improve its management for that kind of tourism...it is trying but Indonesians are not well known for 'good' management but expert in 'graft' management....
Thanks so much for your help. If we have any further questions while finalizing our plans we will certainly be in touch.

PS - how lovely for you to live in Bali - warm and sunny We have had a terrible winter so far - wind/rain/hail/snow/terrible flooding (up island) and a couple of weeks ago an earthquake off the coast of Alaska prompted a tsunami warning all the way down the west coast to Ecuador (as reported by friends living in Quito).

Take care and be well in beautiful Bali......

Last edited by willmore; Feb 5th 2018 at 11:45 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Re: post # 3
My wife often 'facetimes' with her pals in Vancouver (golf club) so we have witnessed the miserable weather on her videophone.
Sunday (Monday here) her pals all got together to watch the Superbowl with champagne so traditional huddles are still OK, even in inclement weather.... thank goodness.