Living in North Bali

Old Apr 14th 2016, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute
Question Living in North Bali

Hi,
I'm looking for information on long-term rentals or lease properties in Northern Bali. All I seem to be able to find are freehold places. It starting to look like all the leaseholds and long-term rentals are in the South/Ubud.

Does anyone have any info?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in North Bali

You are correct..... I searched most major property Co's and couldn't find. I would not advise contracting even if you could find one...much better to come here, stay in a hotel and travel around Lovina/Singeraja and check out any adverts in local places and local realtors.

There must be bargains out there as the hotel occupancy is really low.

I live in the south but if I hear of any I'll post here.

edit; just to clarify...do you mean you wish to rent long-term i.e. per annum...or do you want to purchase a leasehold property?

Last edited by Davita; Apr 14th 2016 at 10:08 am.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Davita,
We would initially rent for a year (or more) before committing to purchasing a lease property. This isn't going to happen for a while yet though - just wanted to have an idea of prices.

We spent 5 months in Sanur but it is really busy and likely to get busier. Next time we're on Bali we'll take a trip round the island - the East may be a possibility too.

Thanks for answering !
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say, loving loving your Blog. A great read and I really like the way you've set it up.

Are you still finding MM2H and Malaysia useful as a base? Sounds to me like you're homing in on Bali. Would love to hear what you like about life there, and your thoughts on moving to North Bali..... just because it's quieter?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bakedbean!

Glad you're enjoying the Blog - It's a lot of fun living it :-)
Yes, we're still glad we got MM2H - KL is where we have our PO box and bank accounts and it's a great travel hub.

One day we will settle down - hopefully not for a while yet. Malaysia would make the most sense because of MM2H but we don't see ourselves living in a flat and houses don't look too safe or cosy and cost a fortune.

We like Bali a lot and Indonesia also has a retirement Programme and it's possible to lease\rent villas (with private swimming pools) for decent prices. But who knows. We're off to Cambodia next so wait and see ! :-)
Old Apr 15th 2016, 2:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant. Look forward to reading about more adventures.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but have you checked out Langkawi?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

We've been to Langkawi but never with a view to possibly living there. We did have in mind to check it out again some time.
Also Sabah would be a possibility, but of course that would mean redoing the whole MM2H application :-(
Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenella

We like Bali a lot and Indonesia also has a retirement Programme and it's possible to lease\rent villas (with private swimming pools) for decent prices. )
Thanks for contributing to this otherwise quiet forum Fenella.
I kinda smile when you told BB about Indonesia's retirement 'programme'.
There isn't any Programme per se...not anything like MM2H with its ease of application and benefits.
There is a 'Retirement Visa' for those over 55. It needs a registered agent to assist in the application and they charge like wounded bulls. The Visa only lasts for a year at a time and then is renewed. After 4 annual visas (Kitas) a 5 year visa (Kitap) is available then, after that expires, an indefinite visa can be issued.
There are no benefits attached to the visa and it does have some requirements like property rental, employment of Indonesians, medical insurance etc. but the agent takes care of those.
North Bali and east Bali is indeed much cheaper, and life style much quieter, than the South....and is liked by many. If RI ever extends a toll road to the south, which it keeps promising, it could be a dreamland.

Last edited by Davita; Apr 15th 2016 at 3:04 am.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi Davita,

When we were in Ubud we popped into an agent's office and looked into the visa. You're right, it's nowhere near as good as MM2H, but beggars can't be choosers :-)
I suppose the road has a greater chance of materialising than the airport :-)
Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fenella
Hi Davita,

I suppose the road has a greater chance of materialising than the airport :-)
hahaha...it depends on whose pockets will get filled best.

Had a conversation with my Bali friend and asked why they don't build a geothermal electric plant in Bali as it sits on a volcano...he said "because you cannot put steam in your top pocket"...