Indonesian news

Old May 12th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indonesian news

Many will have read about the recent case of the Governor of Jakarta (nic Ahok) and how it might effect either visiting or living in RI.
The situation doesn't really affect, at this time, any visitor.
It is a long-term problem for Indonesia and for its future vis-a-vis the global community.
Indonesia, politically, has a democratic government constituted under the 5 principles of 'Pancasila' which is not much different to other western constitutions.
This determines freedoms of religion but, as the majority of Indonesia is about 98% Muslim, it does have some issues in regard to extremists who constantly defy Pancasila. This is why the recent events, regarding 'Ahok' and the blaspheme law, have arisen.
The justice system in Indonesia is illogical and corrupt so don't expect justice as we westerners are used to. Don't even think of not complying with rules...they're almost designed to wrong foreigners...you cannot win!!!
I'm amazed at how many arrive and think they can drive scooters like the maniac local drivers...and unaware that there are basically 2 rules ..one for locals and one for foreigners.

To summarise... there is no reason to change any visit plans but I do advise...be aware of the situation and be prepared to move-out if there is any local skirmish.

Bali is about 98% Bali Hindu and doesn't have any of those issues prevalent in Java.
Old May 13th 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indonesian news

Originally Posted by Davita
Many will have read about the recent case of the Governor of Jakarta (nic Ahok) and how it might effect either visiting or living in RI.
The situation doesn't really affect, at this time, any visitor.
It is a long-term problem for Indonesia and for its future vis-a-vis the global community.
Indonesia, politically, has a democratic government constituted under the 5 principles of 'Pancasila' which is not much different to other western constitutions.
This determines freedoms of religion but, as the majority of Indonesia is about 98% Muslim, it does have some issues in regard to extremists who constantly defy Pancasila. This is why the recent events, regarding 'Ahok' and the blaspheme law, have arisen.
The justice system in Indonesia is illogical and corrupt so don't expect justice as we westerners are used to. Don't even think of not complying with rules...they're almost designed to wrong foreigners...you cannot win!!!
I'm amazed at how many arrive and think they can drive scooters like the maniac local drivers...and unaware that there are basically 2 rules ..one for locals and one for foreigners.

To summarise... there is no reason to change any visit plans but I do advise...be aware of the situation and be prepared to move-out if there is any local skirmish.

Bali is about 98% Bali Hindu and doesn't have any of those issues prevalent in Java.
Thanks for update.

When I lived in Indonesia(some time ago), prudent foreigners didn't drive cars or motorcycles.