Franchise in paradise?

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

pejsata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Franchise in paradise?

Hello everyone,

for a quick word of introduction I should probably say that I'm a school teacher of English and German with over 11 years worth of experience in a major state high school in Poland. Times have been hard for me lately, though and I'm considering moving to Indonesia for numerous reasons one of which is a strange drive for self-employment at my own linguistic franchise, far from public sector of my homeland. TBH I'm not sure if it's going to work out <snip out link >

I'm not sure if it's the right place to do so, but hopefully there is at least one expert in Indonesian market to answer my numerous newbie questions regarding running a business in Ind. And these would be

- has anyone had any experience with running a company in Indonesia? are there many obligatory forms and registration processes I'd have to go through? (sorry, I tried to google, but I don't seem to be able to find a definite answer :/)
- do You think that a language school may have a chance to provide any further franchise opportunities?
- could You possibly provide any ground rules for a complte beginner, like where is it best to invest on the Indonesian market? and is there a way to find out whether or not it's going to be friendly?
- anything else I haven't mentioned?

Many thanks for Your replies, I'd be more than grateful for Your help guys

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 3rd 2015 at 1:45 am. Reason: Link snipped out .
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Franchise in paradise?

Welcome to BE Indonesia pejsata.
I really cannot help directly with your question of creating a business in Indonesia as a foreigner as I live here in retirement.
I can however say that doing anything, as a foreigner, other than as a tourist, is fraught with 'problems'.
Indonesia government (not the people) is very nervous of foreign intervention in the way things are done...much to the detriment of their own economic welfare.
This is a very rich resource based country badly managed...which has created a nationalistic pride that is on the verge of ridiculousness, and not necessary.
For example...try getting a visa by saying you wish to set up a linguistic school....or that you want to be an English teacher from Poland...good luck!
I believe the minimum for an English teacher is 'must be from an English speaking country, a degree in the language, and 5 years teaching experience'. It used to be easy to get this job but no more...and they check-out those language schools all the time....to verify compliance.

I don't wish to rain on your thoughts of 'paradise' but sincerely suggest coming to Indonesia, as a visitor on a VOA or Tourist visa, and check the intricacies of working in RI from within. There are many language schools, particularly in Jakarta/Bali, where maybe a share or partnership would suit your first investment, then move on from there.

Indonesia is huge and worth exploring for its diversity, flora, animals, scenery and the friendliness of people. However, the cities and the structures of government are limited by corruption and nepotism etc. but the middle-class consumers are getting more demanding. The generally poor 200+ millions attitude ...unless it has something to do with soccer or a reason for unemployed youths to go AMOK...is apathy.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

pejsata is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You so much for Your reply, Davita! It's pretty sad that such a beautiful place should face so many problems <<<snip>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 3rd 2015 at 12:45 pm. Reason: Pulse read our Site Rules...especially rule #10. Thanks
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to say to all readers of this site that, due to the censorship imposed by the ridiculous rules, I will no longer contribute.
Enjoy the forum without me.

Last edited by Davita; Jun 4th 2015 at 2:00 am.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:06 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I'm sorry to say to all readers of this site that, due to the censorship imposed by the ridiculous rules, I will no longer contribute.
Enjoy the forum without me.
The trouble is Davita, that I for one enjoy the forum WITH you - so I would ask you to reconsider your decision and try working with me to resolve this situation.

I was made the moderator of the Far East forums yesterday but did not even have my seatbelt buckled before this "accident" happened. If you will engage with me I'll try and make this work for all of us.

I know it is horrible to have someone come along and snip bits out of your posts or completely delete them because we are in a public place and it's a bit like being treated like a child in school - there is no debate and bang it just happens.

Before now, moderating in this forum has been a shared task between other moderators who, having already got quite a lot on their plate, impose the forum rules without mercy.

I am sure you understand what the forums would be like without any moderation at all - I've been on some other forums and find the verbal abuse between members really quite unpleasant and nothing like the Golf Club atmosphere we find here (I was going to say Gentleman's Club but realised that is rather sexist )

I followed your posts a lot when I was just a humble member and always found them interesting and very individual in their style. After a while you can actually get to know someone without ever meeting them or knowing their real name. So if ever they go it's a bit like they have died and then that part of the forum dies as well.

I do feel I know you now, Davita and it's much too soon for me to see you go - please do come back.

I do just need now to explain why sometimes stuff is removed from a thread. You can read the site rules, of course, but very few people do. Rule #3 concerns including links to other websites. Links are not banned per se and you will see loads of links in member's posts but it is not at all unusual for a new poster to join BE with the sole intent of promoting other websites - they can be quite imaginative in the way they do this to make it look incidental to their message.

Because of this new members are carefully watched and Rule #3 is very often applied and the offending links are snipped out. It is very unfortunate if the rule is applied to someone who actually had no intention of advertising or introducing other members to websites for commercial purposes. But in this case it is sometimes better to take the medicine before catching the disease.

Despite these niggles, BE is a tremendous resource and I would particularly like to see the Far East forums becoming busier and as a consequence, more useful to all members with an interest in this geographic area. We're in this together - without you, it just won't happen

Cheers IVV
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Well IVV..as you put it so nicely, and so did BB by PM, I should review my attitude.
It was my 78th birthday last night and I was offended by the deletion without any reference...if someone had said I was responding to Spam I would have understood but, to me, it seemed that a nitpicking moderator was hi-jacking the efforts I had made to keep this forum alive.
I accept my skin is already wrinkly but I didn't realize it wasn't very thick either. Also, now I'm wearing granny pants instead of that revealing thong....I shouldn't get my knickers in a twist.
Ok...I can hear the groans already...why does this old man wear ladies underclothes?

My next contribution to this forum may reveal the answer....keep checking.

btw IVV congrats on your 'promotion'......j/k
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:26 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see you back, Davita. Just need to get you some more company on this forum now.

Happy belated Birthday too - were the granny pants a present?

++ IVV
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:52 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
The trouble is Davita, that I for one enjoy the forum WITH you
Cheers IVV
Me too!

How I stumbled into here, I don't have the foggiest!

Happy Birthday Davita.

JC3