Dream of Bali

Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

benmellor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dream of Bali

Hi all,
Thanks for taking a look at my thread.
My girlfriend and I really want to move to bali.
I've lived and worked in Aus for the last 9 years and am ready to try a new challenge.
1 year in Bali minimum I wish.
I'm an electrician and she is a teacher, we've both done tefl course but full time work is not essential.
I'd like the advice from you fine folk on here as using BritishExpats in the past has been brilliant.
What visa should we look for?
Are there any restrictions?
Are there any agents that are recommended?
Are visa agents necessary?
Are there recommeded tefl schools to work?

Any advice that you can offer us is most appreciated

Many thanks,

Best of luck to all.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream of Bali

Hello benmellor and welcome as I see this is your first post here.
You have a number of questions but I'm afraid I don't have good answers.
Indonesia doesn't go out of its way to welcome foreigners...they like tourists to come and leave their money but the gov't/tourist dept. does very little to accommodate any long term visitors.

Re: Visas...
The easiest is Visa on Arrival (VOA) which you buy on entry for US$35 which lasts 30 days. This can be extended for a further 30 days (another US$35) then one has to leave the country and return.
A Tourist Visa can be applied in the nearest RI Embassy/Consul to where you live in Australia. You will need to check their website for cost but it will last 60 days. It is not supposed to be extendable, but I know in Bali it can be done.
An annual Retirement Visa is available for those over 55 years. If you qualify I can give more details on that.
Visa agents can make application easier but they charge for that convenience but imo If you don't have someone guide you then bite the bullet and get a well refenced agent, who does this all the time...and fork out the bucks!

None of the above visas permit employment and, if foreigners work without a work permit it is a criminal offense.....meaning possible jail time and definitely deportation, and a red-flagged passport.
The only way to get a work permit (IMTA) is being sponsored by a company that's recognized by the Ministry of Manpower and US$1200/year must be paid into a 'Training Fund" for Indonesians....I've never seen how that money is dispersed nor known anyone benefit from it...but lots of wealthy politicos abound in Indonesia.

Re: School teachers...you may have heard many come to Indonesia with very little qualifications to teach English. That has stopped...I read that an appropriate degree and something like 5 years teaching experience is now demanded.... but suggest search the internet for better info.

The advice I would offer is to come to Bali on at least a couple of weeks holiday as tourists...find the bars where the expats hang out (not the touristy bars) and ask questions from them. I recognize my post is a damper on your dream but it is what I know about the law. Many here take risks, break the law and keep mum for years and get away with it....but those days are becoming less as the gov't depts. are getting swept cleaner.

Last edited by Davita; Mar 4th 2015 at 4:04 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The Republic of Indonesian Government has reported that, from next month (April), they will waive the Visa on Arrival Fee for Nationals of 30 further countries. This includes UK, Canada, USA and New Zealand but excludes Australia.

I've put this information under the Bali thread for best exposure but the visa-free is for visitors, with accepted passports, to the whole of Indonesia.

New visa policy to aid rupiah | The Jakarta Post
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

The three days celebration of the Balinese calendar for new year 1937 is over.

Last Thursday was the day that Balinese gather in their thousands and walk to the nearest beach to bathe previous sins, ill health and bad spirits away. They believe the ocean has healing power but the traffic jam they create causes more pollution than modern day China.

Saturday around sunset is for the big parades...all over Bali the villagers (banjar) bring out their Ogoh Ogoh, huge grotesque statues made of chicken wire and paper mache, multi-painted with brilliant hue and startling glowpaint. These are placed on a platform that up to 30 people are needed to carry. The kids have their own mini-version and the excitement to see who is permitted to carry is intense...like Xmas to western kids. Everyone has a uniform to denote which banjar they belong and the competition is fierce.
Between 7-9pm we watched at least 8 of those banjar parades accompanied by their own gamelan band with drums and gongs that would wake-up the dead. The firecrackers, lights and noise were to scare the evil spirits off...certainly scared the shit outta me so I had to have a few Bintangs to regain composure.

Yesterday was the culmination called Nyepi (silence). For 24 hours no-one is allowed to make any noise nor show any light. The airport is closed as are the ferry operations. Only emergency traffic is allowed on the road and the TV's don't transmit. Internet is available but all lights must be off, or at least not seen at street level, and the temple police volunteers (pecalang) patrol to ensure compliance. I swam naked...lucky no-one noticed otherwise they might have thought someone had left an Ogoh Ogoh in my pool.
The sky at night, when there is no other lights to distract is unbelievable and, although I'm not religious...the night-sky nearly made me a believer as I've never seen so many twinkling stars.
Anyway, today it's all over.... the 12 year olds are out on their hot-rod motorbikes and the dads are off gambling on cockfighting... so back to Sunday as normal. In Bali the womenfolk do all manual labour and the men do celebrations and wear funny hats.

I survived Nyepi 2015 and will get a T-shirt to say so.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re; No. 4 Got my days wrong due too much Bintang. The Ogoh parade was on Friday and the day of Nyepi (silence) was from 6am on Saturday till 6 am on Sunday.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Dream of Bali for those who chase the waves then return to a nice cold beer may be over in 3 days.........

4/12/2015) Indonesia’s Minister of Trade, Rahmat Gobel, became involved in a verbal altercation with local citizens during his most recent visit to Bali.

In an open public dialog held at the DPD Building in downtown Denpasar on Saturday, April 11, 2015, Gobel was involved in an angry exchange over the coming implementation of Trade Minister Regulation No. 6 of 2015 prohibiting the sale of beer at warungs, mini-markets and from beachside vendors.

As reported by beritadewata.com, an angry Gobel said to one female participant, “Why, when I am answering your question and am still speaking you interrupt with more questions?”

In an effort to defuse the atmosphere, a member of the DPD Shri Gusti Ngurah Arya Wedakarna said: “I ask that all aspirations voiced (today) be done so in a more ethical manner and in a polite manner."

Wedakarna explained to the Minister that the Balinese people find it difficult to speak loudly, and that the protesting questions reflected the deep regard felt by the Balinese for Gobel. Continuing, Wedakarna said: “We have had many Ministers visit Bali but non have taken he time to meet with the common people. Ministers visit on almost a daily basis, sleep in luxury hotels in Kuta and Nusa Dua, and then immediately fly back to Jakarta via Ngurah Rai Airport.”

Wedakarna pledged to create regular agenda for Ministers to meet with the common people.

Because of the mounting protest over restriction on beer sales during the meeting, Gobel cut short his prepared remarks and opened the forum to questions, moderated by Wedakarna.

The questioners sought for Bali to be exempted from the new regulation limiting beer sales. Gobel told the group there would be no exception to the new rule, suggesting instead that traders establish cooperatives to supply beer to its members.

“Bali will not be excepted (from the rule). We will help by creating a system that allows the traders the opportunity to continue to exist. But the people of Bali must promise that those consuming the beer are tourists, and not underage children. Those buying beer must be asked for their identity cards. If they are too young they must be apprehended,” Gobel explained.

Gobel closed by saying his Ministerial decision would not be changed, only the system would be adjusted.

Only 2 days to go till the ban is implementd.....so much for enhancing Indonesias tourism numbers.