Doctors and stethoscopes

Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doctors and stethoscopes

I always wonder why doctors wear that stethoscope around their neck no-matter where they go be it even to the canteen, or the toilet. It must be a mark of authority, I thought, but on TV I see nurses now do the same.

I felt ill last week here in Bali and saw the doctor......she is very young and pretty. I have a pre-condition of hypertension, well I am 76 and that is not uncommon. The first thing she did was unwrap the stethoscope from her neck then get close to me and put the baggy thing around my arm. She pumped the bag and smiled at me as if to say...relax, this won't hurt a bit! The bag slowly deflated and she pursed her lips as if to kiss.... but, instead, said..."Very high...over 200/120!"
My prescription dosage was doubled and I took one pill there and then and continue with the double dose.

I have a heart monitor at home made in Germany. It works over the wrist and reads out Systolic/Diastolic and pulse. I tried and it read 150/97.

I still had a cough on Saturday so went back to the doctor. She again took the pressure and smiled with pleasure as my BP was reduced to 140/95. I brought along my wrist machine and took the BP again and it read 142/97. She said these machines are not so reliable. I said "This is digital...yours is old analogue!" "This is traditional!" she enigmatically replied. To which I rhetorically asked "So why do you need that iphone 5...wouldn't the old brick cellphone be good enough"

I heard a murmur "bodoh" (stupid) so I looked around as if to say "I heard that!" but she gave me that gorgeous smile, and a prescription for anti-biotics, so I instantly forgave her.

If my cough doesn't clear soon I'm going to see her again...this time without my wife being present.
BTW....did I say she is very pretty and I still have a fertile imagination. But what is it with those old fashioned stethoscopes from the dinosaur days?