Bule bands...

Old May 12th 2012, 2:32 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bule bands...

Why oh why oh why do some places in Jakarta persist in using western bands.

I went it BATS and CJs this week (with my wife) and both featured absolutely crap expat bands murdering music with gay abandon. CJs was the worst and I have ever heard!

A trip to Top Gun (on my own) featured a fantastic local band who really got things bopping. Oscars is shut at the moment but they had some great local bands over the years (anyone remember the Indonesian Elvis impersonator?).

Why do Indonesians look down on their own talent and think to have class they have to have a 15 piece UK band in matching outfits and two girls up font?
Old May 15th 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bule bands...

No one seems to come on here you know! All the Brits are still getting over BWA fashion show on Saturday night.

I liked the bule bands at BATS actually, had some good ones at Eastern Promise too. Don't forget it's nice to have them if you live near any Kampung and get Indo music every weekend blaring from dawn til dusk :-)
Old May 15th 2012, 1:33 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
No one seems to come on here you know! All the Brits are still getting over BWA fashion show on Saturday night.

I liked the bule bands at BATS actually, had some good ones at Eastern Promise too. Don't forget it's nice to have them if you live near any Kampung and get Indo music every weekend blaring from dawn til dusk :-)
LOL - I know what you mean - dangut 24x7!

I wouldn't mind if the expat bands were any good. Most seem terrible.

Never liked EP, or De Hoi, or any of those South Kemang bule bars. Too many trades who thought they were important because they had a driver and a maid.

Did you ever go to Bugils? That was my favorite place in the whole world for a long time. Dump of a location though -Taman Ria Senayan Hitlers bunker (with that awful ship thing)...
Old May 16th 2012, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Don't think I ever went there, loved EP - could walk from Dharmawangsa and could have chunky chips with Chicken Tikka Masala. Haven't found anywhere in this country to have curry & chips :-(
Old May 19th 2012, 4:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Curry and chips oh please... yech yech yech
Old May 19th 2012, 4:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
No one seems to come on here you know!
Forums are what you make of them. If a few of us start posting on here regularly, it will attract the google searches and it will grow. Depends if you want it to, I guess.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Forums are what you make of them. If a few of us start posting on here regularly, it will attract the google searches and it will grow. Depends if you want it to, I guess.
True BB.

As I'm in here I'll just say curry with chips and smelly kippers before I leave.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:22 am

Hi BEVS, I didn't know this was your patch, hehe. Aaah kippers I like kippers.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:40 am
Not allowed opinions.

I am out of Jakarta again for now, but it looks like I will either be there for 2-3 years on a posting, or make regular visits for work - possibly from a base in Bangkok.

From a marital perspective Im not sure which is more dangerous.

I really do like Indonesians, despite them sometimes driving me nuts. And even when the do drive me nuts they flash that smile and suddenly the delay doesn't seem important, and its time to sit down and chat.

I certainly enjoy Indonesian bands - they can be very talented and sadly very unappreciated. I make a point of sending the band beers when I hear them playing in bars, because I don't think they get paid a lot.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'm based in Sydney at the moment but always have a quick look on the Indo board to see if anyone has anything to say (lived there for 5 years)
Old May 19th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I am out of Jakarta again for now, but it looks like I will either be there for 2-3 years on a posting, or make regular visits for work - possibly from a base in Bangkok.

From a marital perspective Im not sure which is more dangerous.

I really do like Indonesians, despite them sometimes driving me nuts. And even when the do drive me nuts they flash that smile and suddenly the delay doesn't seem important, and its time to sit down and chat.

I certainly enjoy Indonesian bands - they can be very talented and sadly very unappreciated. I make a point of sending the band beers when I hear them playing in bars, because I don't think they get paid a lot.
Couldn't agree more....my genre is jazz and I'm amazed at the local jazz available in Indonesia.

I was in Ryoshi Japanese Restu in Legian a couple of weeks ago and heard the best jazz ...the singer looked Manadonese and, by her command of English, had clearly spent time abroad. She was outstanding and would be a star anywhere else, not just singing in a Japanese Restu. for a few Rps and a drink from us.

The problem, as I see it, is in marketing....some of those more commercial bands seem to need a producer like Simon Cowell etc. to promote themselves. The music quality is there but the presentations are lacking.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:32 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by Davita
Couldn't agree more....my genre is jazz and I'm amazed at the local jazz available in Indonesia.

I was in Ryoshi Japanese Restu in Legian a couple of weeks ago and heard the best jazz ...the singer looked Manadonese and, by her command of English, had clearly spent time abroad. She was outstanding and would be a star anywhere else, not just singing in a Japanese Restu. for a few Rps and a drink from us.

The problem, as I see it, is in marketing....some of those more commercial bands seem to need a producer like Simon Cowell etc. to promote themselves. The music quality is there but the presentations are lacking.
Bugger - I was in Legian a couple of weeks ago and walk past that place several times - isn't it near the Bintang Supermarket? If I had known we would have joined you!

Someone once took me to Black Cat many years ago for a great evening.
Old May 19th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

yeaahh! Black Cat next to Red Square is one of our haunts....can't stand the Creole food though.....much prefer kippers, or mushy peas.

Black Cat is for sofisticats...that's why I sneak in a couple/three bottles of my cheap Aussie screwcap plonk. I sign the tab for corkage for one bottle and swop the bottles when no-one sees.
I can afford to pay and I'm not sure they even care, but it makes me feel like a teenager again.... when we used to pull those kinda stunts and think we were cool.