Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

UK or Indian passport- The Great Dilema

UK or Indian passport- The Great Dilema

Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

omgupta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK or Indian passport- The Great Dilema

I really need some good advice from you all.

I am a doctor and am on an ILR (Indefinite Leave) in UK and eligible for UK passport. I am confused whether it is better to stick to an Indian passport or go for a UK one, the main advantage being easier world travel and kids future.

I do plan to go back and settle in India in 5-6 years and wonder what is a better option- to have a UK or Indian passport.

Somebody recommended to get kids and wife on uk passports and stay on Indian passport myself as this would keep both aspects to hand- I am not sure of this. The tax implications and inheritence tax, etc are a bit confusing and wonder what would be better in the long run- as I have some small property in India and in UK as well.

Please advice. It's a crucial decision and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:12 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK or Indian passport- The Great Dilema

Originally Posted by omgupta

I am a doctor and am on an ILR (Indefinite Leave) in UK and eligible for UK passport. I am confused whether it is better to stick to an Indian passport or go for a UK one, the main advantage being easier world travel and kids future.

I do plan to go back and settle in India in 5-6 years and wonder what is a better option- to have a UK or Indian passport.

Somebody recommended to get kids and wife on uk passports and stay on Indian passport myself as this would keep both aspects to hand- I am not sure of this. The tax implications and inheritence tax, etc are a bit confusing and wonder what would be better in the long run- as I have some small property in India and in UK as well.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
Hi Omguta,

Welcome to BE. I hope some member will be able to help you with your enquiry.

Good luck. Noni
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

can you not just have both or do you have to choose. I know that the UK allows dual nationality but some countries don't. Most people with both tend to use the one that gives citizenship in the country they are in. Saves trouble with visas etc. What are the rules for India ?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:27 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
can you not just have both or do you have to choose. I know that the UK allows dual nationality but some countries don't. Most people with both tend to use the one that gives citizenship in the country they are in. Saves trouble with visas etc. What are the rules for India ?
No. Dual citizenship not permitted in India. But you could have a British passport and apply for PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card OR OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) The difference beetween the 2 is here http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

The UK and India have a Double Tax Avoidance Treaty. Look up this http://finance.indiamart.com/taxation/taxtreaties.html

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:45 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omgupta

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
Hello OmGupta

See post #4 in this thread.

If you do opt for a British passport you would be eligible, and must opt, for a PIO/OCI card. Your inheritance, properties in India, etc. would not be affected then but you should definitely consult with a good Chartered Accountant in India.

Yes, you right it is a bit complicated but then there are several reliable CA's who will be able to give proper opinions on specific issues. PM me if you need reference of a good CA.

Cheers
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:00 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

YOU may also look at any possible implications for costs of schooling for any children in India.
Not an easy decision to make, if you leave with only ILR you will not be able to return to live if you are out of the country for more than 2 years