Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to India

Thinking of moving to India

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

adriancharles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to India

If I wanted to open a fish and chip shop in India, would the business work?

would fish/chips/burgers/pizza's be something that would sell in India?

do they have chip shops there? i know they have mc donalds, but they sell fries dont they. Not traditional British chips, with battered fish.

would it be expensive setting up a take away/fast food shop in Gujarat say? i heard Gujarat is a cheap place.

Is there health+ safety, food hygiene certificates etc that I will need in order to get started?

any help appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to India

Originally Posted by adriancharles
If I wanted to open a fish and chip shop in India, would the business work?

would fish/chips/burgers/pizza's be something that would sell in India?

do they have chip shops there? i know they have mc donalds, but they sell fries dont they. Not traditional British chips, with battered fish.

would it be expensive setting up a take away/fast food shop in Gujarat say? i heard Gujarat is a cheap place.

Is there health+ safety, food hygiene certificates etc that I will need in order to get started?

any help appreciated.
If you are British then no; setting up a business for a foreigner is very difficult. Look at the Goa side of this site and read about the difficulties.

There are a large number of Gujurati people living in UK, I would think some one would have done it before if it were possible.

There are plentiful pizza and burger bars already in all large Indian cities.

Traditional fish and chips, yes, there might be a market in cities such as Mumbai and [U]Pune [/U Chennai]where the local people have travelled to UK and sampled it. (I know my rels. particularly the children love fish and chips when they visit UK and ask parents to make it when they get home to India ). (Don'tknow about Delhi).

How to have those massive vats of oil in a hot climate would be something to think about!

I think the best you would be able to do is to act as an adviser to an Indian chef/restaurant willing to try this out.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bipat
If you are British then no; setting up a business for a foreigner is very difficult. Look at the Goa side of this site and read about the difficulties.

There are a large number of Gujurati people living in UK, I would think some one would have done it before if it were possible.

There are plentiful pizza and burger bars already in all large Indian cities.

Traditional fish and chips, yes, there might be a market in cities such as Mumbai and [U]Pune [/U Chennai]where the local people have travelled to UK and sampled it. (I know my rels. particularly the children love fish and chips when they visit UK and ask parents to make it when they get home to India ). (Don'tknow about Delhi).

How to have those massive vats of oil in a hot climate would be something to think about!

I think the best you would be able to do is to act as an adviser to an Indian chef/restaurant willing to try this out.
I know a british indian, who said he could apply for an NRI, im not sure how these things work, but if he became an NRI, and opened the business in his name, with my money, (I do trust him), can NRI's who are british born, open businesses?

are they hygiene authorities etc that i/he would need to register out business with? where can i do more research on this?

in england we have loads of pizza/burger places too, they all are thriving, becasue each one has a slight different taste to their food, im sure it would work in India even if there was a little competition. But i understand where your coming from. thanks buddy
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

I know a british indian, who said he could apply for an NRI, im not sure how these things work, but if he became an NRI, and opened the business in his name, with my money, (I do trust him), can NRI's who are british born, open businesses?

are they hygiene authorities etc that i/he would need to register out business with? where can i do more research on this?

in england we have loads of pizza/burger places too, they all are thriving, becasue each one has a slight different taste to their food, im sure it would work in India even if there was a little competition. But i understand where your coming from. thanks buddy
Adrian I really think you are being naive, I presume you are referring to a

British person of Indian origin, who can apply for a long term visa or PIO

card. Look it up! Legally an NRI is an Indian passport holder who is not

living in India, although the word is used loosely to apply to PIOs.

Have you done any research on visas for yourself?

Have you even been to India?

You first need to do research on these things.

The legalities, tax etc. so much to research. Go to India spend time there.

Contact other foreigners who have started a business. As I said look at the

Goa part of the Forum.

Pizza and Burgers are not food that the average Indian eats except in tourist

areas and the middle class areas of large cities. So there is no need for

many different tastes. How can you possibly be sure it would work in India?

If you are a young unemployed person seeking to start a business;

(as a mother) I would say stick to a country you know, and don't part with

your money to anyone else.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian I really think you are being naive, I presume you are referring to a

British person of Indian origin, who can apply for a long term visa or PIO

card. Look it up! Legally an NRI is an Indian passport holder who is not

living in India, although the word is used loosely to apply to PIOs.

Have you done any research on visas for yourself?

Have you even been to India?

You first need to do research on these things.

The legalities, tax etc. so much to research. Go to India spend time there.

Contact other foreigners who have started a business. As I said look at the

Goa part of the Forum.

Pizza and Burgers are not food that the average Indian eats except in tourist

areas and the middle class areas of large cities. So there is no need for

many different tastes. How can you possibly be sure it would work in India?

If you are a young unemployed person seeking to start a business;

(as a mother) I would say stick to a country you know, and don't part with

your money to anyone else.
yes I am young, and I just want to make some money, my friends tell me the economy in India, and china are booming, hence I would like to do what I have mentioned, doesnt mean I am gona do it. Im thinking about it.

Well I have not researched all this NRI, PIO stuff, my mate was telling me, because his father was born in INDIA, he could become an NRI. So are you saying he cant? I think i will have to give him some bad news lol.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes I am young, and I just want to make some money, my friends tell me the economy in India, and china are booming, hence I would like to do what I have mentioned, doesnt mean I am gona do it. Im thinking about it.

Well I have not researched all this NRI, PIO stuff, my mate was telling me, because his father was born in INDIA, he could become an NRI. So are you saying he cant? I think i will have to give him some bad news lol.
I explained to you in my above post what the letters NRI stood for.
Both of you, now, could set up a business in India but as foreigners the difficulties are enormous. (You are not entering into the National economy).

Your friend is of 'Indian Origin' he can therefore get a long term visa,
or an OCI or PIO card. Which gives several benefits in owning property etc.

I must say that with your present level of combined ignorance any venture would be likely a disaster. "Stuff" is important.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I explained to you in my above post what the letters NRI stood for.
Both of you, now, could set up a business in India but as foreigners the difficulties are enormous. (You are not entering into the National economy).

Your friend is of 'Indian Origin' he can therefore get a long term visa,
or an OCI or PIO card. Which gives several benefits in owning property etc.

I must say that with your present level of combined ignorance any venture would be likely a disaster. "Stuff" is important.
Bipat, why are you being rude to me? calling me naive, and now ignorant? if my posts upset you, do they annoy you? dont reply, simple, but please dont be rude. Thank you for your help, but id rather get no replies from anyone, than someone insulting me.

And as ive explained, im only thinking about it, hence asking questions on here, blimey.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat, why are you being rude to me? calling me naive, and now ignorant? if my posts upset you, do they annoy you? dont reply, simple, but please dont be rude. Thank you for your help, but id rather get no replies from anyone, than someone insulting me.

And as ive explained, im only thinking about it, hence asking questions on here, blimey.
Adrian I have tried to explain to you the reality of starting a business as a foreigner in India. (If you are serious), but if you are unwilling to take heed or do the simplest research for yourself there is nothing any one can say to help.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian I have tried to explain to you the reality of starting a business as a foreigner in India. (If you are serious), but if you are unwilling to take heed or do the simplest research for yourself there is nothing any one can say to help.
I appreciate the help, I just dont like people getting frustrated and insulting me, there was no need.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 12:28 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Adrian

Save your money - there are way too many problems for foreigners when they try to open a business in India - even your friend who has some Indian origin would find difficulties.
Although your friend has Indian origin and is able to get NRI or PIO status and will be able to start a business, it would actually not pay you well or make you profit unless you also went to India and lived by the rupee as opposed to the UK pound.
An English fish and chip shop is a risky venture in India where spicy food is preferred in general.
Secondly the cost of living there does not mirror the UK in any way. You would likely have to sell a portion of fish and chips at something like about 25 rupees to cater to locals - that equates to about 32p English - which means that in English monetary terms the profit will be negligible. Even if you did make a profit, getting that profit out of India is like trying to rob Fort Knox !

And that is without all the day to day difficulties involving corruption, 'white skin/foreigner tax' (ie you pay double for supplies than a local), renwowned jealousy of the outsider doing well ....etc etc

Hope this puts things into perspective for you Adrian

Dread - x
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Adrian

Save your money - there are way too many problems for foreigners when they try to open a business in India - even your friend who has some Indian origin would find difficulties.
Although your friend has Indian origin and is able to get NRI or PIO status and will be able to start a business, it would actually not pay you well or make you profit unless you also went to India and lived by the rupee as opposed to the UK pound.
An English fish and chip shop is a risky venture in India where spicy food is preferred in general.
Secondly the cost of living there does not mirror the UK in any way. You would likely have to sell a portion of fish and chips at something like about 25 rupees to cater to locals - that equates to about 32p English - which means that in English monetary terms the profit will be negligible. Even if you did make a profit, getting that profit out of India is like trying to rob Fort Knox !

And that is without all the day to day difficulties involving corruption, 'white skin/foreigner tax' (ie you pay double for supplies than a local), renwowned jealousy of the outsider doing well ....etc etc

Hope this puts things into perspective for you Adrian

Dread - x
Thank you so much for this, I need to do a hell of alot of research Xx.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:27 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Adrian

Dreadsoc and Bipat have put up everything in the right perspective. Yes, you will have to do a lot of research and may I add that you also need to find a good Lawyer, Accountant and of course a Finance person to make a very detailed project report BEFORE deciding anything else. There are many very good ones who will guide you perfectly on several matters including the statutory permissions and compliances.

I'll try and help where possible. Best wishes.

Cheers
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
Hello Adrian

Dreadsoc and Bipat have put up everything in the right perspective. Yes, you will have to do a lot of research and may I add that you also need to find a good Lawyer, Accountant and of course a Finance person to make a very detailed project report BEFORE deciding anything else. There are many very good ones who will guide you perfectly on several matters including the statutory permissions and compliances.

I'll try and help where possible. Best wishes.

Cheers
Im learning new things everyday, its not as simple as i thought it was, my mate was telling me how, places like India, Thailand etc, have very little rules and regulations, and everything can be dodged. Things seem easier to set up in the UK lol.

Cheers for your help boss.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:15 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Im learning new things everyday, its not as simple as i thought it was, my mate was telling me how, places like India, Thailand etc, have very little rules and regulations, and everything can be dodged. Things seem easier to set up in the UK lol.

Cheers for your help boss.
Oh Adrian - I am sooooo glad you found this sit and asked for advice !!
I'm sure your friend has good intention, but little actual knowledge. He may have listened to local Indians who weave and dodge and some may get away with it.

However for you my friend, and for your friend who is a non local Indian - the reality will be all so very different. Bureaucracy which seems to change daily dependant upon who is dealing with you on that day and what kind of mood they are in. And believe me, as a foreigner the authorities will scrutinise you far more than a local !

To use a topical analogy:
If ridiculous and unnecessary bureaucracy and long winded and petty procedures and rules were an Olympic sport - India would have won Gold Silver and Bronze !!!!

Dread - x

Dread - x
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Secondly the cost of living there does not mirror the UK in any way. You would likely have to sell a portion of fish and chips at something like about 25 rupees to cater to locals - that equates to about 32p English - which means that in English monetary terms the profit will be negligible. - x
LOL are you joking? 25 Rupees???? Tell me where you can get a full meal for 25 rupees.

The average price for a dish at most food courts in the big cities is 100 to 150 rupees. It's not uncommon to see items priced at 250 rupees and above for girlled meat/chicken dishes.

This is the menu for Costa Coffee in India:

http://www.costacoffee.co.in/food.html

I guarantee they are charging a heck of a lot more than 25 rupees. Their coffees alone are in the 130 rupees+ range. And what's more, they are packed. You go to a busy Costa Coffee in Delhi, and you will have to write your name in a book and wait for a table to become available.

I think you need to visit some of the big cities before you start giving advice on India in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.