Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" for over 55s

Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" for over 55s

Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" for over 55s

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere in the Welcome Inn probably, but just in case someone is searching for info on BE, here's a link to the government website for Sri Lanka's retirement visa. It's for over 55s, valid for 2 years but renewable.

http://www.immigrationlanka.com/Info-2-7.html

A couple of British friends (with Indian background) told me about the scheme. Like me, they've both ended up doing the Malaysian retirement visa (MM2H) in the end, but this looks like an excellent Plan B to me, and a lot cheaper than the Malaysian one.... so if I ever fall on hard times

Last edited by Sue; Mar 3rd 2014 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Added new link
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" for over 55s

thanks for the link - do you also have one for the official MM2H site?

AndyD 8-)#
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:44 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere in the Welcome Inn probably, but just in case someone is searching for info on BE, here's a link to the government website for Sri Lanka's retirement visa. It's for over 55s, valid for 2 years but renewable.

http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/in...id=199&lang=en

A couple of British friends (with Indian background) told me about the scheme. Like me, they've both ended up doing the Malaysian retirement visa (MM2H) in the end, but this looks like an excellent Plan B to me, and a lot cheaper than the Malaysian one.... so if I ever fall on hard times
BB you are a treasure, keep popping into Goa
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

I've looked at the Sri Lanka thing several times over the past few years and always have reservations. The deposit keeps going up, there is no guarantee you will be allowed to take it out again, there is galloping inflation and declining exchange rate. I think you used to be able to use your deposit money for property purchase but there is no mention of that now; and finally the link to the visa form is to a site with forms for several different visas, none of which seems to match the 'Dream Home' one.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
thanks for the link - do you also have one for the official MM2H site?

AndyD 8-)#

Hi, the government site is here That's reminded me that I was going to write a "sticky" for it on the Malaysia forum i shall do so.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi, the government site is here That's reminded me that I was going to write a "sticky" for it on the Malaysia forum i shall do so.
So they're looking for a pension of £2,000 a month now - that's at least 1/3rd more than last time I looked.

AndyD 8-)#

wow - Hi Douglas!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:41 am

Hi Andy, the amount of RM 10,000 hasn't changed for quite a long time. I think you'll find it's the Sterling exchange rate that has changed. Sterling has unfortunately been going down the tube of late.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

Does anyone know if you can start the Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" while in Sri Lanka on a 30 day tourist visa.

By this i mean going over there with all the documents that are required. Or do you have to apply in your home country. Which for us would be the UK.

We lived in Goa for almost 3 years, until the 2 month rule came in. I really can't see the Indian Government changing that rule either, so we are looking for somewhere else to "hang our hats"
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by willb
Does anyone know if you can start the Sri Lanka "My Dream Home visa" while in Sri Lanka on a 30 day tourist visa....
I'm pretty sure you used to be able to, but they can't even make their minds up about visa on arrival at the moment - and see my post #4 above.
(Also it really is a pretty smelly regime - would you want to support it?)

AndyD 8-)#
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

Originally Posted by a_f_d
I'm pretty sure you used to be able to, but they can't even make their minds up about visa on arrival at the moment - and see my post #4 above.
(Also it really is a pretty smelly regime - would you want to support it?)

AndyD 8-)#
Hi Andy.

Yes understand about the regime over there. Here in North Cyprus it's sometimes a bit dodgy re the 30 odd years the North & South have been trying to sort them selves out. When the s**t hits the fan here, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi All.

Reading various web sites & Forums about Sri Lanka. Some say you can get a visa on arrival, some say you have to apply first. Has any one applied for a Sri Lanka visa lately. Thinking of going Jan & Feb.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Originally Posted by willb
Hi All.

Reading various web sites & Forums about Sri Lanka. Some say you can get a visa on arrival, some say you have to apply first. Has any one applied for a Sri Lanka visa lately. Thinking of going Jan & Feb.
Definitely apply first (since 1st January 2012) but it is very quick & simple. Here is the link:

http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/center.jsp

We are going there in September. Filled out the forms on Monday. The applications were acknowledged and then approved in less than 5 minutes. US$20 for a tourist visa but all the info available in the above link.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 11:08 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks

I have just returned from Sri Lanka
I got the ETA visa before I went because In read on a travel website that they had stopped visa on arrival since earlier this year.

When I arrived in Colombo on 6th August, I witnessed a number of people from the same plane as me go and get visa on arrival - it is clearly still available and seemed both quick and easy to obtain.

Getting the ETA visa online was a very simple process - they say it takes a maximum of 24 hours from application - I had mine back within 2 hours of applying. The Indians could learn a lot from this process !!

Dread - x
Old Aug 24th 2012, 1:52 pm

So..... what about the Dream Home Visa, Dread? Are you tempted a leetle bit? Of course you are probably too young.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:53 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

So..... what about the Dream Home Visa, Dread? Are you tempted a leetle bit? Of course you are probably too young.
It is tempting as the place is lovely - so I sure am just a leeetle.
I certainly may do a winter 'trial' there over the next few years.........
...........but you are quite correct - retired I may be but I am far too young for the Dream Home visa - in fact retired I may be and I am still even quite a bit too young for Saga !!!!

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.