Reload this Page >

RULES FOR BRITS RETIRING TO INDIA

RULES FOR BRITS RETIRING TO INDIA

Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

natashaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile RULES FOR BRITS RETIRING TO INDIA

Hi there,

I have read loads around the rules for Brits wanting to retire to India. As I currently understand it, the situation is as follows:

- you can stay no longer than 6 months at any one time
- you then have to leave for 2 months before you can return for a 6 month period
- you cannot purchase property

Is that correct? There are so many conflicting articles and I'm not having much luck at getting information from the Indian High Commission here in London.

If anyone could clarify, it would be greatly appreciated!!

All the very best,

Natasha.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RULES FOR BRITS RETIRING TO INDIA

Originally Posted by natashaz
Hi there,

I have read loads around the rules for Brits wanting to retire to India. As I currently understand it, the situation is as follows:

- you can stay no longer than 6 months at any one time
- you then have to leave for 2 months before you can return for a 6 month period
- you cannot purchase property

Is that correct? There are so many conflicting articles and I'm not having much luck at getting information from the Indian High Commission here in London.

If anyone could clarify, it would be greatly appreciated!!

All the very best,

Natasha.
Yes you are correct. Unless you are of Indian origin (and can prove it with required documents).
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

natashaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Bipat. Does the 6 month stint end at some point? That is, are you ever allowed to stay permanently if you are not Indian?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:01 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Natasha

Welcome to BE and the India forum.

Unless you are of Indian origin, it is very unlikely for the foreseeable future that you will get permanent residence. To live in India you will get tourist visas and have to leave after 180 days and stay out for 2 months.
A couple of people have managed to get what is called an x visa (residential visa) for one year but these are rare at present.
You cannot legally own property in India if you are a foreigner - if you check out the 'Buyer Beware' thread on the Goa forum, it will show what people who have purchaed property have had to contend with. It does not make happy reading. You can legally lease a property up to a term of about 5 years.

Some people have business visas, but this is no longer advisable unless you are running a legit business there - many have come unstuck by starting a company for the purpose of buying property, and some are reportedly now being investigated. Additionally you have to then file tax returns every year which is expensive and a right royal pain in the backside.

Additionally when it comes to visa renewals, you will have to return to your home country to renew, which means you will need to factor in the cost of flights to and from the UK in your budget.

What quite a few people on here do is spend several months (up to 6 months) of the UK winters in Goa or India which at least avoids the yukky UK cold weather. That may be an alternative solution for you in view of all the restrictions with living there full time?

Hope this information is helpful to you.

All the very best

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Mar 27th 2012 at 10:12 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Dread has enlightened you,but things are much worse. Never have I come across so many cons. I don't know where to start, but beware if you still intend to come here.

May I suggest Cambodia. At least we're not hated there.

Davie.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:23 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidhendry
Dread has enlightened you,but things are much worse. Never have I come across so many cons. I don't know where to start, but beware if you still intend to come here.

May I suggest Cambodia. At least we're not hated there.

Davie.
Hi David

Good to see you back on here - it's been a while. How's things?

Please can you tell us some things about Cambodia - wouldn't mind some information about visiting Cambodia myself.

Dread - x
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi David

Good to see you back on here - it's been a while. How's things?

Please can you tell us some things about Cambodia - wouldn't mind some information about visiting Cambodia myself.

Dread - x
Good morning, Dread,
I'm good. That is, when I can forget my 12 year court case. The relief comes, unfortunatey, via alcohol !!

My knowledge of Cambodia is secondhand. Lots of Brits. have left here bacause of hassles of various kinds. I'm sure you're familiar with them. My lawyer has advised me NEVER to leave my house unoccupied. Reason obvious.
However, there may be light at the end of the judicial tunnel, this year.

I had a call from a friend, last week, in Cambodia, who tells me to get over there........NOW.
I feel like a prisoner.

Time for medication !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep good.

Davie.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Good morning, Dread,
I'm good.
Glad to hearr that.
That is, when I can forget my 12 year court case.
I know it's painful but please give us a summary - people need to know.
The relief comes, unfortunatey, via alcohol !!
Know what you mean (_)? - but take it easy, booze in slight immoderation is a lot better than a lot of other things - legal and otherwise (and that includes tobacco!)

Keep good.

Davie.
Cheers - AndyD 8-)#
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:15 am

Good morning, Dread,
I'm good. That is, when I can forget my 12 year court case. The relief comes, unfortunatey, via alcohol !!

My knowledge of Cambodia is secondhand. Lots of Brits. have left here bacause of hassles of various kinds. I'm sure you're familiar with them. My lawyer has advised me NEVER to leave my house unoccupied. Reason obvious.
However, there may be light at the end of the judicial tunnel, this year.

I had a call from a friend, last week, in Cambodia, who tells me to get over there........NOW.
I feel like a prisoner.

Keep good.

Davie.
Hi Davie

Glad you're OK and yes I am all too familiar with the hassles you speak of.
I really hope you do find that light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Keep strong - and it' still good to see you back on here

Dread - x
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:04 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Cambodia every so often and it is a great place for a holiday. But for me that is it. It is a very poor country and the infrastructure is non-existent. Booze is dirt cheap.Last time in PP it was 2$ a jug at some places and even on the beach in Sihanoukville you get a glass of draft for 50-75 cents. If I lived there I would be an alki probably.
Places to stay and rent are expensive compared to Thailand where I live now. Schools for children ditto. Finding western foodstuffs can be hard if you aren't in PP. Some great restaurants though.
People are very friendly but then they're taking my money.
Get offered drugs so many times walking down the street if I'm on my own ( not with the family ) it gets a bit boring. If you like cheap grass though........
Hotels are very good value.
For obvious reasons Cambodia has got a very young population and it does seem to be getting better with a growing middle class . A lot of Chinese money going in there. For the vast majority though they are very poor but hopefully as the economy develops there will be some sort of trickle down effect.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:45 pm

Thanks Nonthaburi - it's always interesting to hear about places from someone who has been there.
I think we best delay Davie above going there - can't have him mixing that cheap booze with his meds (LOL Davie - )

Cambodia is certainly somewhere I would like to visit before it gets too tourist infested (and before the package tour companies start going there !!)

Dread - x
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

A brief, and belated, summary of my case.

C1998, gave a local " friend " power of attorney to purchase a building plot. Guess what, he bought it in his name.
2000, took him to court.
31/12/03, won the case.
He appealed and lost it Sept. 2011.

Present case is to get the first judgement implemented !! Don't ask why, I don't know.
Next hearing 28th of June.
Communication doesn't exist here. Justice ? A f88888g joke. The name of the game is money. Lots and lots of it.

Medication time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claim for compensation must be made within a year of case closure. I say my case closed Sept. 2011, when appeal was dismissed. They say, no, 31/12/03.So, if the appeal had been successful, I'd have to return whatever I'd received in 2003!! Sounds illogical, but who am I?

Medication required !!!!!!

Davie.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:09 pm

A brief, and belated, summary of my case.

C1998, gave a local " friend " power of attorney to purchase a building plot. Guess what, he bought it in his name.
2000, took him to court.
31/12/03, won the case.
He appealed and lost it Sept. 2011.

Present case is to get the first judgement implemented !! Don't ask why, I don't know.
Next hearing 28th of June.
Communication doesn't exist here. Justice ? A f88888g joke. The name of the game is money. Lots and lots of it.

Medication time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claim for compensation must be made within a year of case closure. I say my case closed Sept. 2011, when appeal was dismissed. They say, no, 31/12/03.So, if the appeal had been successful, I'd have to return whatever I'd received in 2003!! Sounds illogical, but who am I?

Medication required !!!!!!

Davie.
Hey Davie

Hang on in there dude.
Indian law makes a mockery of the word justice at times - I am pretty sure that the outcome depends on the mood of the judge on the day as to how the law is interpreted - well at local level anyway !! But does see to get ore clarity the higher you go in the court system

Keeping 'em all crossed for you

Enjoy the meds (Acid )

Dread - x