Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

OCI granted in UK whilst on visitor visa in India

OCI granted in UK whilst on visitor visa in India

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:53 am
Just Joined

docvenkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI granted in UK whilst on visitor visa in India

Hello friends. We applied for OCI in UK and was recently granted dispatched to Birmingham, UK. Meanwhile we decided to go back to India for good. Baby on 6 m visitor visa currently in India and will stay with mum for a long time. I'm due to fly back to UK soon to attend to work. Can I travel with the baby's passport and get the OCI and come back to India. Then Do I need to inform the foreign reg office since a change in status is required ie from visitor to OCI ? Please help
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI granted in UK whilst on visitor visa in India

Originally Posted by docvenkat
Hello friends. We applied for OCI in UK and was recently granted dispatched to Birmingham, UK. Meanwhile we decided to go back to India for good. Baby on 6 m visitor visa currently in India and will stay with mum for a long time. I'm due to fly back to UK soon to attend to work. Can I travel with the baby's passport and get the OCI and come back to India. Then Do I need to inform the foreign reg office since a change in status is required ie from visitor to OCI ? Please help
Not quite sure of your question. Did you and your wife travel to India before or after receiving your OCI cards?
You can apply for OCI for your baby in India, at Hyderabad FRRO. Either way, whether you apply in UK or India the baby needs to be with you at the time of application.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bipat
Not quite sure of your question. Did you and your wife travel to India before or after receiving your OCI cards?
You can apply for OCI for your baby in India, at Hyderabad FRRO. Either way, whether you apply in UK or India the baby needs to be with you at the time of application.
Thanks. Applied while we, the parents and the baby, were in UK in Nov. Then took a visitor visa for the baby to go to India and we all travelled to India in dec.

Currently all in India , parents on OCI, baby on visitor visa till May 2015.

Mum Decided to be in India for long time along with baby. Meanwhile, me the father, is due to go to UK for work for a month or so and be back by April.

Can I travel along with the baby's pasport to UK, get the OCI sticker to India, whilst the baby stays here in India. Even if I do so, I think I still have to change the status on the baby's status on passport as she is currently stamped as a visitor till May 2015. Any idea please?

Please help
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Applied while we, the parents and the baby, were in UK in Nov. Then took a visitor visa for the baby to go to India and we all travelled to India in dec.

Currently all in India , parents on OCI, baby on visitor visa till May 2015.

Mum Decided to be in India for long time along with baby. Meanwhile, me the father, is due to go to UK for work for a month or so and be back by April.

Can I travel along with the baby's pasport to UK, get the OCI sticker to India, whilst the baby stays here in India. Even if I do so, I think I still have to change the status on the baby's status on passport as she is currently stamped as a visitor till May 2015. Any idea please?

Please help
No--- As I said the baby must be with you when you apply. When you apply at Hyderabad FRRO or in UK (bringing the baby with you) the baby's tourist visa will be cancelled at the same time as the OCI sticker put in the passport.

If you are coming alone to UK, your wife will need to make the application for the baby's OCI visa in Hyderabad along with baby's passport, birth certificate etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Sorry, OCI already applied and granted - waiting in Birm.! It only needs to be put in the passport as a sticker in Birmingham cgi.
Are you saying I need to make a fresh application since the baby is in India now? I don't see a need to do it all over again.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, OCI already applied andIgranted - waiting in Birm.! It only needs to be put in the passport as a sticker in Birmingham cgi.
Are you saying I need to make is fresh application since the baby is in India now? I don't see a need to do it all over again.
I think your first post was a little confusing. I assumed only you and your wife had applied for OCI and had received your cards and stickers. No you don't have to reapply but usually passport is presented with the application for the sticker to be put in. I think you had better email Birmingham to check that you can just take the passport. No problem about the tourist visa, as I said above this will be cancelled.
One other problem is that while you are in Uk doing this your baby would have no proof of visa in India as the passport would be in UK.