Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / India

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:29 pm   #1
anandp 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
anandp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Is it true that if you hold OCI then your UK citizenship doesn't help if you're in India?

I've heard that from many that you can choose to travel on either your UK passport or on OCI, but if you're in India, then you cannot get help from the British embassy if you need it.
anandp is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:00 pm   #2
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,893
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandp View Post
Is it true that if you hold OCI then your UK citizenship doesn't help if you're in India?

I've heard that from many that you can choose to travel on either your UK passport or on OCI, but if you're in India, then you cannot get help from the British embassy if you need it.
The OCI card will be stamped in your British Passport. You must carry your passport.
You will still be a British citizen so I see no reason why you should not get Consular help if this is necessary, although we have no personal experience of needing such help.


Having read your other question you are unlikely to get OCI without more evidence.
http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

Last edited by Bipat; Nov 25th 2012 at 3:21 pm. Reason: Addition
Bipat is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:19 am   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 7
Bally_Singh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Anandp,

Yes its true you should apply for an PIO instead of OCI, i unfortuantly came to know about this after getting a OCI done.

Saying that the Embassy will still help you but priority would be for PIO holders, this is in terms of incase you need to be evacuated from the country, so only in extreme circumstances.
Bally_Singh is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:36 pm   #4
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: UK/INDIA
Posts: 24
oddjob1952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Not so when I got my PIO card (wife and kids have OCI) I had to sign to accept that I can not get help from BHC in India. Also when carrying your British passport you must also carry the old passport that the OCI/PIO card is issued to if you have not transferred the card to your new passport. I was asked last time at check in to produce the old passport which I always carry for this reason having seen a person turned away as he did not have the old passport.

I am looking forward to settling back in India later in the summer as I am giving up full time work, al be it I shall be back in a few weeks trying to get aircraft out of India for the owning bank I will let you guess who the were operated by.lol

ken
oddjob1952 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:08 pm   #5
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,893
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob1952 View Post
Not so when I got my PIO card (wife and kids have OCI) I had to sign to accept that I can not get help from BHC in India. Also when carrying your British passport you must also carry the old passport that the OCI/PIO card is issued to if you have not transferred the card to your new passport. I was asked last time at check in to produce the old passport which I always carry for this reason having seen a person turned away as he did not have the old passport.

I am looking forward to settling back in India later in the summer as I am giving up full time work, al be it I shall be back in a few weeks trying to get aircraft out of India for the owning bank I will let you guess who the were operated by.lol

ken
Husband and children recently got OCI, they didn't have to sign anything. Why would you? it is actually an unlimited 'visa' with privileges not a change in nationality. You are still a British citizen, with a British passport.
Obviously you need to carry an old passport if that is the only one with the 'U' visa stamped in it! Also the card.

Just seen your other OCI post. Children of a person eligible for OCI do not need to have been born in India for OCI regardless of age.

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 18th 2013 at 1:54 pm. Reason: Addition
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:05 pm   #6
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: UK/INDIA
Posts: 24
oddjob1952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Not so my 2nd son was born in the UK he got OCI only because he was under 18 when his mother got her OCI if he was over 18 then he would have got PIO like me. Also while still a British citizen holding OCI/PIO you have rights under Indian law but it also comes with a level of responsibility also, you can not go running to the BHC if you get into problems with the Indian authorities. That was what I was told and made to sign in the IHC in London when I got my PIO card.

Ken
oddjob1952 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:28 pm   #7
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,893
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob1952 View Post
Not so my 2nd son was born in the UK he got OCI only because he was under 18 when his mother got her OCI if he was over 18 then he would have got PIO like me. Also while still a British citizen holding OCI/PIO you have rights under Indian law but it also comes with a level of responsibility also, you can not go running to the BHC if you get into problems with the Indian authorities. That was what I was told and made to sign in the IHC in London when I got my PIO card.

Ken
Ken I can assure you as I said, husband and children have just got OCI, in January 2013. (having not bothered for last 4 decades) husband needed it for new particular bank account.
They have not signed anything, children are in their 30s and 40s all born in UK. Were persuaded to do so by OH in case rules changed and they then could not get it.
Maybe rules were different when you applied. Things were made easier when BJP were in power.

http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 18th 2013 at 3:33 pm.
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:04 pm   #8
Premium Member
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,946
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lar-assistance

This might clarify things a little bit , I think it's fairly recent.
nonthaburi is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:12 am   #9
anandp 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
anandp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonthaburi View Post
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lar-assistance

This might clarify things a little bit , I think it's fairly recent.
Pindoria Solicitors had the same kind of response from the UK Foreign Office too a while back but the concern is that these things could change overnight.

Not much we can do about it, but with the only major differences being 15yr vs lifelong visa and police registration requirements after 180 days, I'll stick with PIO.
anandp is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:53 am   #10
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,893
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI Dual Citizenship concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonthaburi View Post
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lar-assistance

This might clarify things a little bit , I think it's fairly recent.
Thank you for finding that, a really useful link.
Bipat is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / India


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:10 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com