Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / India

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:28 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Lost_In_Mumbai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mumbai life

Hi there,

I just moved to Mumbai from London, so anyone wants any advice or wants to give me some, very welcome!

Anyone else round Mumbai?
Lost_In_Mumbai is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:32 pm   #2
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,036
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Mumbai View Post
Hi there,

I just moved to Mumbai from London, so anyone wants any advice or wants to give me some, very welcome!

Anyone else round Mumbai?

Hello, great to have a new member on the India Forum.
Where in Mumbai are you staying? We generally stay in the Chembur/Ghatkopar area.
When in India we are mostly in Goa/Karwar area but visit and stay in Mumbai frequently as numerous relatives living there. So know it quite well for general advice (but no expat contacts).
B.
Bipat is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:35 pm   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Lost_In_Mumbai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Hello, great to have a new member on the India Forum.
Where in Mumbai are you staying? We generally stay in the Chembur/Ghatkopar area.
When in India we are mostly in Goa/Karwar area but visit and stay in Mumbai frequently as numerous relatives living there. So know it quite well for general advice (but no expat contacts).
B.
HI there, I'm in wealthy Bandra West actually, met lots of expats here already. What is there in the way of weekend trips away? Can't find anything about sight seeing in and around Mumbai for short trips.
Lost_In_Mumbai is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:53 pm   #4
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,036
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Mumbai View Post
HI there, I'm in wealthy Bandra West actually, met lots of expats here already. What is there in the way of weekend trips away? Can't find anything about sight seeing in and around Mumbai for short trips.
It depends how you want to travel, if by car or train Lonavala is a nice hill station (half-way to Pune).
Aurangabad is overnight train. Or there are the Elephanta, or Ellora caves.
By air; Goa is a quick flight.
Will have a think for some more ideas.
Bipat is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:15 pm   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Lost_In_Mumbai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It depends how you want to travel, if by car or train Lonavala is a nice hill station (half-way to Pune).
Aurangabad is overnight train. Or there are the Elephanta, or Ellora caves.
By air; Goa is a quick flight.
Will have a think for some more ideas.
Might be going to Lonavala this weekend actually, and saw the Elephanta Caves, bit disappointing to be honest.

Went to Goa a couple of weeks back loved it, so will definitely be going back! Where do you live now?
Lost_In_Mumbai is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:23 pm   #6
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,036
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Mumbai View Post
Might be going to Lonavala this weekend actually, and saw the Elephanta Caves, bit disappointing to be honest.

Went to Goa a couple of weeks back loved it, so will definitely be going back! Where do you live now?
We live in UK but Indian OH has family place in India and relatives spread around, so usually spend varying times there twice a year. Usually have some time in Mumbai each visit.
Where in Goa did you stay?
Bipat is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:22 am   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Lost_In_Mumbai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
We live in UK but Indian OH has family place in India and relatives spread around, so usually spend varying times there twice a year. Usually have some time in Mumbai each visit.
Where in Goa did you stay?
Stayed in Baga, usual tourist haunt!
Lost_In_Mumbai is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:09 pm   #8
Premium Member
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Hi Lost in Mumbai

Just noticed you are quite a new member so wanted to say welcome to BE and the India forum.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Goa and you're finding your way around things to do in Mumbai. The great thing about India is you can get relativly cheap flights to many different places so I would advise doing some research and see what takes your fancy. The Kashmir lakes are beautiful and will make a lovely relaxing weekend away. Kerala is lovely too. That said there are so many places of beauty you're spoilt for choice.
There is also aa Goa forum so pop on over and say hi next time you're planning a trip there.

All the best

Dread - x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:17 pm   #9
romz 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
romz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Hi

If you're new to Mumbai, there's a lot of info to pass on, are you looking to spend some time hanging around the city? I'm a Bombay-ite, would love to catch up! Message me.

Romz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsoc View Post
Hi Lost in Mumbai

Just noticed you are quite a new member so wanted to say welcome to BE and the India forum.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Goa and you're finding your way around things to do in Mumbai. The great thing about India is you can get relativly cheap flights to many different places so I would advise doing some research and see what takes your fancy. The Kashmir lakes are beautiful and will make a lovely relaxing weekend away. Kerala is lovely too. That said there are so many places of beauty you're spoilt for choice.
There is also aa Goa forum so pop on over and say hi next time you're planning a trip there.

All the best

Dread - x
romz is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:53 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: India
Posts: 3
schumannrober is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Mumbai life would completely change from London life, which part of Mumbai you are shifting.
schumannrober is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:52 pm   #11
Premium Member
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Hi there Romz and Schumannrober

I see you are both also new members so welcome to BE both of you.

Nice to see you both popping in and wanting to welcome the new guys to Mumbai.
Romz - lost in Mumbai will not be able to send you a message as you will need to make 3 posts on BE before you can use the private messaging service on the forums.

Hope you both enjoy your time on here -we certainly need people from Mumbai and ditrict posting on here as there are a lot of expats living in and around there.

Dread - x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:57 pm   #12
GaryK Male
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 42
GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Mumbai View Post
Hi there,

I just moved to Mumbai from London, so anyone wants any advice or wants to give me some, very welcome!

Anyone else round Mumbai?
Hello there!

I'll be moving to Mumbai from London at the end of February and have just started looking for resources for UK expats there. I'll be able to get a work visa to India through my wife's job but am not sure where to start looking for tips on employment. I wondered if you had ideas on this? Also, are there regular UK expat meetups in Mumbai?
GaryK is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:01 pm   #13
Premium Member
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mumbai life

Hi Gary

Welcome to the India forum of BE.
This is a pretty recent forum as mostly focus has been on the Goa forum due to member numbers.
However I have noticed that more and more folks are starting to pop in who are living in or moving to Mumbai.
Guys - perhaps you can be our BE pioneers and start some meet ups between fellow expats in Mumbai ? It could be the start of something fabulous

Dread - x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:46 am   #14
a_f_d Male
geek
 
a_f_d's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,941
a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsoc View Post
...
However I have noticed that more and more folks are starting to pop in who are living in or moving to Mumbai....
Dread - x
I posted some Mumbai comments a while ago on #20 here

AndyD 8-)#
__________________
There is no such thing as art, the best is high craft - the rest is just flim-flam ©
a_f_d is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:33 am   #15
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mumbai India
Posts: 6
expat.frndly.indian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mumbai life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It depends how you want to travel, if by car or train Lonavala is a nice hill station (half-way to Pune).
Aurangabad is overnight train. Or there are the Elephanta, or Ellora caves.
By air; Goa is a quick flight.
Will have a think for some more ideas.
Karjat 3 hours drive away from Mumbai.or 3 hour train ride in a local...nice place to hangout..i know some nice cheap resorts there as well as good places to hangout...

if you are a beach lover..try vasai dahanu or poisar2 hrs train ride from mumbai..
i can suggest you a few more getaways ,depending on your likes..
expat.frndly.indian is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / India


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:44 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com