Reload this Page >

moving to India from UK

moving to India from UK

Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

oasisscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to India from UK

Hi,
Ive searched through the threads in the Indian forum and cant see anything that answers my question. I am UK resident and almost 2 years ago I started a relationship with an Indian girl who was over here as a student. she is now on a post graduate Visa which is due to end at the end of this year.we had intended applying for a visa for her to stay as my partner as by the time the application comes round we will have been living together for 2 years. however events have taken a turn and we are now considering that I move back to India with her and I was curious as to what documents, visas etc I would need to move and hopefully begin to work in India. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to India from UK

Originally Posted by oasisscott
Hi,
Ive searched through the threads in the Indian forum and cant see anything that answers my question. I am UK resident and almost 2 years ago I started a relationship with an Indian girl who was over here as a student. she is now on a post graduate Visa which is due to end at the end of this year.we had intended applying for a visa for her to stay as my partner as by the time the application comes round we will have been living together for 2 years. however events have taken a turn and we are now considering that I move back to India with her and I was curious as to what documents, visas etc I would need to move and hopefully begin to work in India. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Before answering: two essential questions.
Are you of Indian origin yourself?
By "partner" I assume you are not married, is this so?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

hi,
yes I am born in the uk and hold a uk passport. my girlfriend is indian born and holds a indian passport and we are noot married but we have co habited for coming upto 2 years now
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
yes I am born in the uk and hold a uk passport. my girlfriend is indian born and holds a indian passport and we are noot married but we have co habited for coming upto 2 years now
India does not recognise the situation of 'partnership', so unless you have some Indian ancestor yourself you will only be able to get the usual tourist visa, 6 months generally (with 2 months out of India between visits).
You could get an employment visa if you are offered a job, by an Indian Company and it is accepted that you are needed. You would have to come back to UK to apply for this.

Basic info on this link.
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

what would be the case if me and my partner were married?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what would be the case if me and my partner were married?
Then as a spouse you would be eligible for an Entry (X) visa up to 5 years without the 'time-out rule'.
It is explained on the link.

As your partner is an Indian citizen I don't know whether there is any time lag after marriage in getting the visa. My personal experience is of Indian origin people living in UK.
Others may know.

B
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

okay.....well its answered my questions anyway....just have to decide what to do??? thanks for your help
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:41 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scott

Welcome to BE and the India and Goa forums.
As Bipat says, I doubt that you will get chance to live in India unless you marry your young lady or get a job there.
That way you can apply for a PIO card - which means Person of Indian Origin.
There is a chap on the Goa forum called LeeGrand who has just gone through this process recently having married an Indian lady - I am sure if you contact him by pm he would be able to offer you some advice.

In the meantime all the best to you

Dread - x