Move to India?

Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:23 am
Just Joined

D GIRL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to India?

Hi all,

It's my first time using this forum. I would like some advice please!
My boyfriend was born in India but moved to the UK in his teens. He decided to move back to India for career opportunities and has been there for a few years.
His career is going well so he can't move back just yet. Do you think it would be wise to move there for a few years?
Career wise and general environment wise, what is it like? I have a very open mind and am aware that it would be extremely different…but would like your advise on British Asians living in India?

Thanks.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:14 am
Just Joined

chase2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Move to India?

Hi DG

Many Indians who have gone out in search of new pastures have decided to comeback and enjoy working here due to various cultural and cost issues.

India is a progressive country with lot of career creative opportunities in abundance.

Environment is very healthy but a bit of chaos everywhere which is now common in developing cities also

Decide whether you want a fast life or a peaceful slow one and accordingly you can choose the town or city and spend the next few years here

If you are specific i can guide you
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

D GIRL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to India?

Thanks Chase. It's nice to hear someone being positive! To be honest I have had negative feedback from people who live in India, but I think i'll be able to handle it. The move wouldn't take place soon, but if/when it does, it would be in a city. Are people welcoming in India and would it be easy to find a job there? I have a degree from london and have been working for about 6 years here. I guess global companies would be welcoming?

Last edited by D GIRL; Jun 28th 2013 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 5:29 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D GIRL
Thanks Chase. It's nice to hear someone being positive! To be honest I have had negative feedback from people who live in India, but I think i'll be able to handle it. The move wouldn't take place soon, but if/when it does, it would be in a city. Are people welcoming in India and would it be easy to find a job there? I have a degree from london and have been working for about 6 years here. I guess global companies would be welcoming?
Hi, D.Girl and Chase - welcome to BE, I am sure D Girl some of our "Indian" friends will be able to answer your question like Chase did.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

munched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud of

First and foremost, it depends upon the city you are planning to move. Within each city also, there places to be and places to avoid. At a general and broad level:

Culturally, it's going to be a shocker so be very well prepared. (You cant even imagine the chaos in traffic - continuous honking for no reason and erratic lane changing are the norms. Pedestrians are treated worst. Females are ogled at as if they have just landed from Venus. Sense of hygiene is evolving but spitting is fairly common.

Career-wise: Indians are extremely competitive and hard working folks. Working beyond normal hours is generally expected and appreciated. Meddling in other teams' affairs has negative connotations even if the intent is to help. Expats and people with Western education are generally held in high regards by senior executives but one could face skepticism from co-workers as Indians have ingrained resentment for expats who come at a higher pay package for similar skill set.

Environment-wise: I'm presuming question pertains to overall feel rather weather conditions. On overall feel, its a mixed bag - lots of pros and lots of cons. Don'e take safety as taken for granted, instead be very cautious about your safety. Do NOT assume that cabs and public transports are safe, because they tend to get unsafe.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi munched .....welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

munched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud ofmunched has much to be proud of

Thanks bakedbeans
Old Nov 8th 2013, 3:58 am
Just Joined

travellerino is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I'm new to Delhi. I've just posted a new thread and would appreciate any advise/tips please. Thank you. Travellerino
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:58 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

My boyfriend was born in India but moved to the UK in his teens. He decided to move back to India for career opportunities and has been there for a few years.
His career is going well so he can't move back just yet. Do you think it would be wise to move there for a few years?
Career wise and general environment wise, what is it like? I have a very open mind and am aware that it would be extremely different…but would like your advise on British Asians living in India?

Thanks.
Are you of Indian origin yourself ? If not then not sure you will get a visa. If you are of Indian origin then the visa issue is not a problem.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 7:37 am
Just Joined

tejayasarapu is an unknown quantity at this point

you have visit India. i think you will enjoy the most
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:35 am
Just Joined

White_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of lightWhite_Tiger11 is a glorious beacon of light

India is a vast, vast land with many extremes, not just in goegraphy, climate, landscapes, but also regarding culture and open mindness.... I am in a similar situation as you and your boyfriend... I am lucky enough that my job allows for travelling, i have lived in Europe, the US and Canada and noticed some stuff... small differences between India and these countries like say for example, in India some people would consider differently if you say boyfriend rather than fiancee or husband/wife. I have travelled India with my current fiencee before we were engaged... when we were simply boyfriend/girlfriend couple and at the beginning we would say simply that... and we didnt get any hostile reactions but they kept their guard, we decided to try and say we were married after a couple of days and then... beaming smiles, better treatment, more haggling power for us :-)... just a quick tip for you to enjoy your stay :-)

Ravi.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:08 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks.
How times change !
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
How times change !
Not totally true, it has always been possible (since country settled down after independence) to make much more money in India than in UK, for instance for the professions in the private sector.
Many Indian people stayed on in UK for the better lifestyle, holidays, less cut-throat competition etc.
But now as you say times are changing.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Dr Mavita Fernandes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If your boyfriend is in the IT field Bangalore is the best place for him. There are lot of expats living in Bangalore. It is a cool and relatively safe city.

But if you are looking for a place for Sun, sand n Sea, Goa is the best place. It is very peaceful and beautiful. People are very nice and very helpful.