From London to Mumbai

Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Fiona1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From London to Mumbai

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Mumbai as a quantity surveyor. I am excited but nervous about accepting. I have been offered a great package with healthcare, a dedicated driver, accommodation, utilities, flights and food.

I have a few concerns.

My boyfriend works in internal recruitment and we're concerned about him finding work in Mumbai with a reputable firm.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Also, what is life generally like out there. How do you fill your weekends?

What are the major pitfalls and best things about living there?

Thanks

Fiona
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From London to Mumbai

Originally Posted by Fiona1983
Hi,

I have been offered a job in Mumbai as a quantity surveyor. I am excited but nervous about accepting. I have been offered a great package with healthcare, a dedicated driver, accommodation, utilities, flights and food.

I have a few concerns.

My boyfriend works in internal recruitment and we're concerned about him finding work in Mumbai with a reputable firm.

Thanks

Fiona
Hello Fiona

Your boyfriend, it may be difficult. He needs employment arranged before he can get an employment visa. Perhaps your employer could help?

Life generally, 2 questions before answering, where in Mumbai will you be living and working? Have you been to Mumbai before?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Fiona1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the response.

I think that my company will help as much as they can to find suitable employment. Would he be able to come over on a visit visa?

I would be living south Mumbai on the coast?, not sure of the exact location.

I've never been to Mumbai before.

Thanks for the help

Fiona
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the response.

I think that my company will help as much as they can to find suitable employment. Would he be able to come over on a visit visa?

I would be living south Mumbai on the coast?, not sure of the exact location.

I've never been to Mumbai before.

Thanks for the help

Fiona
He could visit on a tourist visa, but if he found work would need to return to ?UK to get an employment visa before starting work.

In general the impact of Mumbai will be traffic, crowds and climate differences. With a driver you will have transport but getting any distance can be time consuming. With your package you will be air-conditioned and also cushioned from city poverty. Monsoon time though is difficult for all.
Weekends; anything you like as in any big city. (South quite a distance from airport for internal flights for travel).
Best thing is to find out exactly where you will be and read up and research all you can.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:23 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fiona

Welcome to BE and congrats on your job offer in Mumbai

I appreciate you are looking to go and live in Mumbai and work there, but I would recommend you buy one of the well known travel books such as 'Lonely Planet Guide to India' or 'Rough Guide to India' - They won;t help with where to live in mumbai etc, but either will give you some great information about different parts of India, and give you some great ideas of places to go at weekends and holiday times.

In the meantime all the very best with your move and hope the boyfriend finds something workwise

Dread - x
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:42 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I have a few concerns.

Thanks

Fiona
Congratulations. Lots to do at weekends. Many expat gatherings. Lots of places to visit for short breaks too.
Major pitfalls: pollution and the monsoon!
Best things : warm dry weather for 5 months of the year great places to eat and shop. Great adventure for a young person.

Visa for boyfriend may be more complex. Securing a visit visa OK in the first instance but obviously does not allow work. It may be hard to renew if he can not secure a work visa for himself. He may be able to secure a visa on the back of yours as your partner - ask your company to check this for you.

Enjoy
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Johnk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fiona,

You mentioned in your post that you are a quantity surveyor. I wanted to get you opinion of the construction market in Mumbai and general life there.

I have the opportunity with my work to move to Mumbai for a 2 year period and perhaps longer.

My wife is a Civil Engineer with good experience. She would like to work while in Mumbai. Are there jobs available in the market and what are the work conditions?

Generally what is life like in Mumbai since you moved?

Any advice welcome
John