Job offer New Delhi -

Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Job offer New Delhi -

I have the option of continuing an assignment in Qatar or taking up a 5 year appointment in New Delhi India. My choice would be India but my concern is for my wife. She has settled into Qatar and is very happy here. We have no experience of working in India but we have lived in Lahore Pakistan. (This is why my wife would obviously prefer to stay in Qatar). We have done our share of hardship posts in the past and my wife has taken a liking to the easy living of the GCC.

My question is what is life like in New Delhi for a spouse. is there are a strong expat community, reliable electrical power and water, can she get out and keep herself amused.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer New Delhi -

Hi, as you've had no replies to this yet, I'll just pass on what a friend told me... So second hand info somewhat.

My friend was a non working spouse in New Delhi for a couple of years. This was about 3 years ago. She enjoyed India and the experience and the people but she found life difficult. They were previously in Singapore where I met them. She said there was a small expat community but difficulties she found were the security aspect, having to have a driver drive her everywhere, and some limitations on foodstuffs she could buy.

But just one story. Hopefully you'll get some first hand experiences posted on here and maybe more recent.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:46 am
Just Joined

oddjob1952 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in Bombay in the 90's for 7 years with no issues however my wife is Indian. I saw lots of expats leaving India after 2 or 3 years only because the wife got fed up with it. 5 years is a long time if your wife is going to hate it after a few years and that will just make you as un-happy as well. My view is you BOTH have to be sure it whats you want or you will have problems at work and at home and that will only turn out one way and thats BAD.

Regards

Ken

Us well we have to go to Goa to receive the shipping container next week as we have returned to live full time between Goa and Kolkata. UK is a gone case as far as we are concerned time to bail out.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies. We have decided that we are now too old and too long in the tooth to take on more "hardship" postings. Also after taking everything into account we will be £1000/month better of in Qatar so it is a no brainer. We will stay in Doha.