Independence Day

Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Independence Day

70 years of Independence.

Live Updates: Independence Day 2017 - I am proud to be in a country which allows people to take pride in their religion. I am proud to be a Sikh by birth and by choice: CJI Khehar
Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independence Day

And 70 years since the horrors of partition. Very interesting programme running on BBC Radio 4, focussing on the memories of partition among those now living in Britain. See the thread here.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
And 70 years since the horrors of partition. Very interesting programme running on BBC Radio 4, focussing on the memories of partition among those now living in Britain. See the thread here.
Did you forget something?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article by Justin Rowlatt -

http:// http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40887900
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Interesting article by Justin Rowlatt -

http:// http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40887900
Yes, I read that article a few days ago, thought it very interesting, didn't agree with all of it but fascinating particularly when written by a descendant of Sidney Rowlatt.

(He is being influenced by Shashi Tharoor and his own agenda (discussions on TIO) who is trying to oust the Congress leader, which will never happen while Sonia is still alive.)

Tried another link but still doesn't work!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:07 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Yes, I read that article a few days ago, thought it very interesting, didn't agree with all of it but fascinating particularly when written by a descendant of Sidney Rowlatt.

(He is being influenced by Shashi Tharoor and his own agenda (discussions on TIO) who is trying to oust the Congress leader, which will never happen while Sonia is still alive.)

There you go again, anything that does not fit your views of events must be left wing.
I have been watching and listening to the various programs, the eye witness reports of terrible atrocities by all sides on each other.
As someIndians have said the horrors of partition has been swept under the carpet with those who suffered reluctant to talk about What happened to them and what they saw.
What is worth noting is Modis condemnation of attacks by radical Hindus on Indian Muslims.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:16 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

70 years of Independence.
congratulations
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
There you go again, anything that does not fit your views of events must be left wing.
I have been watching and listening to the various programs, the eye witness reports of terrible atrocities by all sides on each other.
As someIndians have said the horrors of partition has been swept under the carpet with those who suffered reluctant to talk about What happened to them and what they saw.
What is worth noting is Modis condemnation of attacks by radical Hindus on Indian Muslims.
I think you argue for the sake of it!! I agree with what you say, about Partition. I agreed with what Justin Rowlatt, said about this.
I have known people who were there, I have been to the Wagah border ceremony and seen those brought on stretchers to look over the border before they die.

My point above was about the part of the report which did not concern Partition and was about political points now. Do you know anything about the present Congress Government and their problems?--far worse state than the British Labour party.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd, worked OK for me...

Just realised, double http!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40887900

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Aug 15th 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:35 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I think you argue for the sake of it!! I agree with what you say, about Partition. I agreed with what Justin Rowlatt, said about this.
I have known people who were there, I have been to the Wagah border ceremony and seen those brought on stretchers to look over the border before they die.

My point above was about the part of the report which did not concern Partition and was about political points now. Do you know anything about the present Congress Government and their problems?--far worse state than the British Labour party.
What has the state of the congress party got to do with the very high level of coverage the horrors inflicted on India and Pakistan during partition is getting on UK tv and and media.
What has it got to do with the rise in attacks on Muslims in India and the rising tension among the majority Muslim population in Kashmir.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
What has the state of the congress party got to do with the very high level of coverage the horrors inflicted on India and Pakistan during partition is getting on UK tv and and media.
What has it got to do with the rise in attacks on Muslims in India and the rising tension among the majority Muslim population in Kashmir.
We were discussing the link posted by Expatrick. The link if you could read it concerned other issues besides Partition.

You mentioned Kashmir what is your opinion of the Pandits who fled the area, their houses burned even in last few years? The CM trying to encourage them back.
What is your opinion of Mehbooba Mufti CM of Jammu and kashmir State?
What is your opinion of arms found on terrorist sites there being funded by Middle East countries?
What is your opinion of the young Kashmiri men queueing up to join the India army recently in spite of threats from the minority separatists?

What is your opinion of the economy in Kashmir?

EMR the tension on the borders of Kashmir is no different to what it has been for years. Can I ask when you were last there?

What do you know about Muslims in India--how many do you know?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:28 pm
EMR
Banned

We were discussing the link posted by Expatrick. The link if you could read it concerned other issues besides Partition.

You mentioned Kashmir what is your opinion of the Pandits who fled the area, their houses burned even in last few years? The CM trying to encourage them back.
What is your opinion of Mehbooba Mufti CM of Jammu and kashmir State?
What is your opinion of arms found on terrorist sites there being funded by Middle East countries?
What is your opinion of the young Kashmiri men queueing up to join the India army recently in spite of threats from the minority separatists?

What is your opinion of the economy in Kashmir?

EMR the tension on the borders of Kashmir is no different to what it has been for years. Can I ask when you were last there?

What do you know about Muslims in India--how many do you know?

There you go again.
The majority population in Kashmir is Muslim.
It is disputed territory .
An accident of history a remnant of the horrors of partition.
BBC news has just carried a report about the rise of hindu nationalism , about increasing attacks on Muslims.
Road blocks looking for trucks carrying cattle.

It would be a real pity if the progress India has made is affected by religious intolerance.
Intolerance that cost the subcontinent over a million dead when it should have been celebrating its independence,
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Radio 4 - Partition Voices, Series 1, Legacy

Not sure is this is available to international audiences.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
There you go again.
The majority population in Kashmir is Muslim.
It is disputed territory .
An accident of history a remnant of the horrors of partition.
BBC news has just carried a report about the rise of hindu nationalism , about increasing attacks on Muslims.
Road blocks looking for trucks carrying cattle.

It would be a real pity if the progress India has made is affected by religious intolerance.
Intolerance that cost the subcontinent over a million dead when it should have been celebrating its independence,
EMR as I have said many times to you--stick to what you actually know about.

Kashmir is majority Muslim (not the only State with high percentage of Muslims), it is a larger majority now because of the Pandits literally burned out of their homes. What do you think about that?

Recent elections only about 30% were separatists, of those about 10% wanting to join Pakistan, 10% independence, 10% more autonomy.

The present CM was voted in by a majority ---you did not answer the above question what is your opinion of the CM???
The PM has reassured that the 'special status' of the State will continue. What is your opinion on that?

Why is there good relationship with Bangladesh? Recent some exchange of land, millions of Bangladeshi Muslims have returned to India.

Yes there is religious intolerance as in UK and USA, it is illegal.

The recent troubles are mainly in one State-- UP State, a bizarre CM has been voted in, Yogi Adityanath, he is a lunatic but was voted in ---just like Donald Trump--it happens! He is the one going on about cows etc.

EMR the majority if the 29 States the different religions get on together day to day.

Partition was a great, great tragedy caused by a number of factors, which is being discussed because of the 70 years anniversary. Just like the tragedy of WW1 and 2 when Europeans killed each other.

(Jinnah was a good man how history might have differed if he had not been a dying man (TB) and had ruled Pakistan for longer.
In 1956 Pakistan becoming an Islamic Republic changed history for many parts of the world).

Last edited by Bipat; Aug 15th 2017 at 9:11 pm.