Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

HELP VACCINATION ADVICE

HELP VACCINATION ADVICE

Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Lamplady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP VACCINATION ADVICE

I would really value opinions on this. We are travelling in November to Varca, hubby is ok he had all his jabs 2 years ago but I haven't had rabies, have had all the rest. Now it seems I am just about out of time and I can't seem to get the 3 shots, my surgery doesn't have vaccine and say they should be able to get it by Wed which will be too late, the travel clinics aren't being helpful either, as they can't start jabs until end next week. Apparently there has been a surge on vaccines and everywhere has ran out! I can't believe this. So in your opinion do you think its absolutely necessary. We will be staying for one month? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as just now I feel like cancelling the whole trip.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP VACCINATION ADVICE

Originally Posted by Lamplady
I would really value opinions on this. We are travelling in November to Varca, hubby is ok he had all his jabs 2 years ago but I haven't had rabies, have had all the rest. Now it seems I am just about out of time and I can't seem to get the 3 shots, my surgery doesn't have vaccine and say they should be able to get it by Wed which will be too late, the travel clinics aren't being helpful either, as they can't start jabs until end next week. Apparently there has been a surge on vaccines and everywhere has ran out! I can't believe this. So in your opinion do you think its absolutely necessary. We will be staying for one month? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as just now I feel like cancelling the whole trip.
All I can say is that with years of travel in India and with our children from babyhood we have never thought of having rabies injections. Just keep away from any animals.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:35 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lamplady

I have also been going to Goa for years and have never even considered rabies vaccines.
If you are scratched or bitten by an animal, my advice would be to go straight to a hospital in Goa where they will vaccinate you there - I am advised that this is effective prevention.

Whilst in Goa there are a lot of dogs - just avoid touching them.

Dread - x
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Lamplady is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers everyone, i am feeling somewhat more relaxed about no vaccine. It's incredible here i am in uk and my surgery can't get vaccine in till wed which is too late to start the 3 vaccines, i have rang 3 private clinics, no joy to get it in time, 4 surgeries in area who have the vaccine but as i am not a patient I can't have it. One clinic in central London rang me this morning and they only do this vaccine on a Wednesday and next Wednesday is too late. Rang NHS direct no help either. So if I really really wanted the vaccine it's unavailable for me anyway! This is the wonderful UK and the private sector for vaccines. Unbelievable.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You really don't need rabies vaccine; you can get it in India if you get bitten.
The vaccine is still effective for several days after contact.
I don't agree that you can never touch any animals; as long as they're friendly.
I lived in India half my life, and we used to have lots of animals around all the time.
There were a few cases of rabies over the years, but they were stamped out very quickly.
But if you do have your skin broken by any animal, go get the vaccine.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
You really don't need rabies vaccine; you can get it in India if you get bitten.
The vaccine is still effective for several days after contact.
I don't agree that you can never touch any animals; as long as they're friendly.
I lived in India half my life, and we used to have lots of animals around all the time.
There were a few cases of rabies over the years, but they were stamped out very quickly.
But if you do have your skin broken by any animal, go get the vaccine.
Being in contact with family/pet/house animals which you know is a different situation. The OP is a tourist coming for a short beach holiday and will encounter feral animals which are desperate for food.
Any bite will be very inconvenient even if not dangerous.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

So you're advocating the need for all tourists to have rabies vaccine? Has this become the norm?
I'm a big fan a vaccines in general, but contacting rabies is pretty rare. I'm not saying it never happens; but I think it would be safe to say it's in the order of one time for every 10,000 tourist visits.
And in the unlikely event it does occur, you have several days grace to get vaccinated after contact.
So back to the original question; whether to cancel their journey because the OP can't get vaccinated in time.
I stand by my first post; unless one is going to be spending time in wild areas far from medical help, it isn't a necessity.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard
So you're advocating the need for all tourists to have rabies vaccine? Has this become the norm?
I'm a big fan a vaccines in general, but contacting rabies is pretty rare. I'm not saying it never happens; but I think it would be safe to say it's in the order of one time for every 10,000 tourist visits.
And in the unlikely event it does occur, you have several days grace to get vaccinated after contact.
So back to the original question; whether to cancel their journey because the OP can't get vaccinated in time.
I stand by my first post; unless one is going to be spending time in wild areas far from medical help, it isn't a necessity.
No, of course I am not advocating vaccine; did you read my original post (2) ??
I would still say that it is sensible for tourists to avoid touching and feeding feral beach dogs; any bite regardless of rabies is as I said an inconvenience.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:17 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Including the 'friendly' feral beach dogs !

And 'shack dogs' as it is common practice for the shacks to have a dog for the season and then let it go feral out of season (not every case but it is common practice).

Dread - x
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:00 am
Just Joined

anula is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is far more economical to vaccinate against rabies here in india where the shots are cheap; you can buy over the counter and a doctor can administer for rs50-100.
Having worked many years with dogs in india i have only had the anti rabies pre-exposure vaccines once. rabies is not that common anymore, although there may be a few cases each season. Many of the dogs, esp those in tourist areas have been vaccinated by local NGO's.
I think the only advantage to have pre-exposure shots is the peace of mind that if you do get bitten you have a bit more time to play with than if you are unvaccinated. You will still need the same full course of post-exposure even if you have had the pre-exposure ones. So, given that the vaccines contain all kinds of nasties such as aluminium and mercury i choose not to go for the pre-exposure.