Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Has anyone brought property in Sri Lanka?

Has anyone brought property in Sri Lanka?

Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:42 am
Just Joined

williamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone brought property in Sri Lanka?

Has anyone bought property in Sri Lanka, or can expats offer good advice on professional English speaking Lawyers, or any advice? Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:31 am
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone brought property in Sri Lanka?

Originally Posted by williamb
Has anyone bought property in Sri Lanka, or can expats offer good advice on professional English speaking Lawyers, or any advice? Thanks
Its so confusing there, down south they say you can buy with a 99 year lease but other places say these are illegal you have to go the company route, I was really interested in buying there but got put off due to getting no info apart from the property agents saying its easy and there lawyers saying no problem.
If you find any info please pass on to me. I was intouch with Pearl agents and a Negumbo one but they both come up with different ways.
The last thing I needed after Goa was it not being straight forward!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:36 am
cbc
Forum Regular

Its so confusing there, down south they say you can buy with a 99 year lease but other places say these are illegal you have to go the company route, I was really interested in buying there but got put off due to getting no info apart from the property agents saying its easy and there lawyers saying no problem.
If you find any info please pass on to me. I was intouch with Pearl agents and a Negumbo one but they both come up with different ways.
The last thing I needed after Goa was it not being straight forward!
P.S every is straight forward if you pay the 100% tax!!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:42 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi William

Welcome to BE first of all.

To be honest I can't help regarding advice on buying in Sri Lanka.

However, be very wary of/avoid a company called KNIGHT KNOX - I have had contact with some people who have puchased via this company, whom I believe operate in Sri Lanka among other neighbouring countries, and they have had catastrophic grief.

My initial advice would b to mak contact at the Embassy or consulate in the UK and ask the about the legalities of buying property as a foreigner. Make sure you know the full legalities bfore you sign anything or part with cash.

Dread - x
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine (who doesn't live in Sri Lanka but was considering it) reckons that it's been announced by the Gov that they are scrapping the 100 percent tax on property to foreigners. Sounds like great news for those who want property there.

I also saw an interesting post the other day on another forum (not a Sri Lanka forum)... someone who has property in Sri Lanka and lives there some of the time I believe. He/she was none too complimentary about some of the practices there. He did however say he'd answer any questions by PM if anyone wanted to know. If anyone's interested, let me know, and I'll send you the link.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:12 am
cbc
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A friend of mine (who doesn't live in Sri Lanka but was considering it) reckons that it's been announced by the Gov that they are scrapping the 100 percent tax on property to foreigners. Sounds like great news for those who want property there.

I also saw an interesting post the other day on another forum (not a Sri Lanka forum)... someone who has property in Sri Lanka and lives there some of the time I believe. He/she was none too complimentary about some of the practices there. He did however say he'd answer any questions by PM if anyone wanted to know. If anyone's interested, let me know, and I'll send you the link.
Hi yes I'm interested in the link, could you pm.
It would be such great news if they scrapped the 100% tax as its crazy to tax a foreigner so much when you are spending money in there country and will do for years by living there a few months per year.......
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:44 am
Just Joined

fabflowers is an unknown quantity at this point

I am married to a Sri lankan... We have bought land in Sri lanka, if you still need advice please reply to this ,I can help you with a GOOD lawyer who will not rip you off(educated in Surrey) and I can tell u the rules of foreigners buying in the country. i can possibly help you with finding property etc. I will give you the real truth about buying there. (its not as bad as you think!)

Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:33 am
cbc
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fabflowers
I am married to a Sri lankan... We have bought land in Sri lanka, if you still need advice please reply to this ,I can help you with a GOOD lawyer who will not rip you off(educated in Surrey) and I can tell u the rules of foreigners buying in the country. i can possibly help you with finding property etc. I will give you the real truth about buying there. (its not as bad as you think!)

I'm interested in more info, but as a matter of interest who"s name is your property/land in?