Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Happy Times Touring India

Happy Times Touring India

Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:55 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Times Touring India

Originally Posted by Bipat
You ain't seen nothing Noni we are in Pune leaving tomorrow, traffic unbelievable 3 deaths a day, thousands of 2 wheelers, there are traffic lights but few other rules apparent. Just hope to get to the airport safely!!
OH! NO! on the way to Jaipur we say an elephant and rider, camels pulling carts, 20 in a tuc tuc coming down the "motor way" towards us!!! We laughed when the tuc tuc had to pull up quickly and people fell out. (sorry !!)
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
Suggest you ask to see your pilot's licence? And permission to land.

The callous response to ignoring government safety regs will affect you, as you are flying in, not getting the heck out, so your bhaji-seller turned commercial pilot will need every navigational aid available......such as "Go that side, no the other side, then stay this side. Then do same, same but different"

Not flying to Goa until next week (from Bangalore) and our flight is within the allowed 'time zone' so I am not expecting problems.
J5 the unqualified pilots are an obvious disgrace but the majority are not as you describe.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:55 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

J5 the unqualified pilots are an obvious disgrace but the majority are not as you describe.
One would be too many............the numbers actually involved, plus the cases of turning up for duty drunk, are simply horrific.

Truly grateful I am unlikely to be subjected to this risk in the future.

Not expecting problems? With air travel in India?

Remember, no-one is afraid of flying.........

Its crashing that terrifies us all!

Last edited by johnny five; Apr 15th 2011 at 6:59 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

One would be too many............the numbers actually involved, plus the cases of turning up for duty drunk, are simply horrific.

Pilot gave us a perfect landing in a heavy storm at Bangalore
J5 in decades we have never had problems with air travel (so far )
However I have a 'phobia' about most road travel and absolutely refuse to be driven on the Mumbai-Pune highway (fast and vehicles at a few feet distance from each other). Train would always be best but for the hassle of getting off with luggage when stopping only 2 minutes at a station!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At last in Goa; absolutely no problems with flights from Bangalore, our flight exactly on time.
Traffic in Bangalore seems less hectic than last visit, more oneway roads and raised central reservations. Still the usual cross-roads with no right-of-way indicated.
Knew we were back in Goa when visited the 'ladies' at Dabolim ugh !!! and also saw the garbage outside; when we left B. they were sweeping the streets and loading garbage carts, still glad to be here.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

At last in Goa; absolutely no problems with flights from Bangalore, our flight exactly on time.
Traffic in Bangalore seems less hectic than last visit, more oneway roads and raised central reservations. Still the usual cross-roads with no right-of-way indicated.
Knew we were back in Goa when visited the 'ladies' at Dabolim ugh !!! and also saw the garbage outside; when we left B. they were sweeping the streets and loading garbage carts, still glad to be here.
thanks for keeping BE alive. I think everyones gone into hibernation- or back to boring England - out of sight out of mind-or cant be bothered!!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

When you land in Dabolim now there are shuttle buses to take you to the passport Q. But i can remember when you had to walk across the tarmac to the pasport Q. You were lucky if there was a couple of fans working, then someone had missed something off the entry permit, which would hold up the Q, by the way i wonder what they do with all those permits, do you think they just chuck them or are they all piled up somewhere. Speaking of piled up paperwork, in the Post Office in Candolim there used to be piles of papers & folders at the back wall all covered in dust and leaning over, i don't know how they dont fall over.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by willb
When you land in Dabolim now there are shuttle buses to take you to the passport Q. But i can remember when you had to walk across the tarmac to the pasport Q. You were lucky if there was a couple of fans working, then someone had missed something off the entry permit, which would hold up the Q, by the way i wonder what they do with all those permits, do you think they just chuck them or are they all piled up somewhere. Speaking of piled up paperwork, in the Post Office in Candolim there used to be piles of papers & folders at the back wall all covered in dust and leaning over, i don't know how they dont fall over.
Can remember when in 70's the terminal was a thatched roof on poles!! and far more military planes taking off. Strict no photo rules. In some ways Dabolim has not progressed when compared with other small airports. Cleanliness etc.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:26 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willb
When you land in Dabolim now there are shuttle buses to take you to the passport Q. But i can remember when you had to walk across the tarmac to the pasport Q. You were lucky if there was a couple of fans working, then someone had missed something off the entry permit, which would hold up the Q, by the way i wonder what they do with all those permits, do you think they just chuck them or are they all piled up somewhere. Speaking of piled up paperwork, in the Post Office in Candolim there used to be piles of papers & folders at the back wall all covered in, dust and leaning over, i don't know how they dont fall over.
I remember when the "ladies" were cementing the tarmac, and had to stop work when the plane came in. We all learnt pretty quickly you had to run across the runway to be near the front of the Q - then it took ages to get through. I think people who have not filled in their Entry Form, should be sent to the back of the Q, not make the rest of us wait. If you think the toilets are dirty now - you should have seen them then.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

The airport at Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) is fairly new and it is massive, you could get lost in there no probs. But some of the displays are wonderful, staff all very helpfull etc, It is one hell of a size of an airport. There are three levels, and you have to keep watching the Dep boards, because if you are on the wrong level for you boarding gate, it can be long way to run.

But, and aint there always a But. Still have to wait in big Q's for pasport check though, and same again people not filling in Entry/Exit forms properly.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4V4hhlUeAM

my favourite temple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69PIM...eature=related

In my opinion better than the Taj, we are going back this year to spend more time there.

Last edited by noni; Sep 16th 2011 at 10:34 am.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My personal favourite is the Meenakshi temple at Madurai.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mee...iw=984&bih=472

Went some years ago and very crowded, with guides trying to force their services, but doesn't spoil the splendour of it.
(one for the 'rant' section --guides)

Have been busy in the last few days booking some trips for Dec. the cheap internal flights are fast getting booked up. Had a few days between a wedding and thread ceremony in Pune so decided to go to Hyderabad, never been there before and there is a Jet flight from Pune, chose the flight time etc, when we came to book yesterday no seats left. Had to choose a late evening flight instead.
Any BEs with tips re Hyderabad?
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:59 pm

My personal favourite is the Meenakshi temple at Madurai.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mee...iw=984&bih=472

Went some years ago and very crowded, with guides trying to force their services, but doesn't spoil the splendour of it.
(one for the 'rant' section --guides)

Have been busy in the last few days booking some trips for Dec. the cheap internal flights are fast getting booked up. Had a few days between a wedding and thread ceremony in Pune so decided to go to Hyderabad, never been there before and there is a Jet flight from Pune, chose the flight time etc, when we came to book yesterday no seats left. Had to choose a late evening flight instead.
We are Delhi, Udaipur, Jodhpur, with part of the journey by train! Haven.t got the full details, leaving it to my friend, but have extra days in Delhi.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Sir Salar Jung museum (Caution: years since I went!)

AndyD 8-)#
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Sir Salar Jung museum (Caution: years since I went!)

AndyD 8-)#
Thanks, will certainly visit there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.