Forehead markings

Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forehead markings

Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to Indian forehead markings? Yes I have googled, and wiki'd and everything.

Here in Malaysia I see the "usual" red markings and sometimes white markings. But there's a guy who says Good Morning to me and he's got a yellow marking on forehead... actually more mustard colour. Are there different meanings to the colours? I'm just curious.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:32 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forehead markings

Hello BB

Yes there are various markings, the most common is the red 'bindi' or the round red coloured disc shaped mark on a lady's forehead in the centre.

Others that are common :

1. Sandalwood lines, 3 in a horizontal row on ladies as well as menfolk, mainly from the South Indian region

2. Orange coloured markings usually small thin or pear shaped on men's foreheads usually put on a Saturday after visiting temple of Hanuman.

3. Small decorative stick-on bindis which are most popular these days amongst young and mid-aged ladies

4. Not seen much now but a green tattoo on forhead and forearms of ladies mainly in Goa, Maharashtra and around.

Traditionally the markings are applied in the centre of the forehead as that part is considered the 'seat of wisdom'. Mostly applied by Hindus, however, in the modern world it is now more of a fashion and popular amongst all Indian ladies, irrespective of religious beliefs.

These articles may throw some more light on the topic :

http://hinduism.about.com/od/bindis/a/bindi.htm
http://www.esamskriti.com/essay-chap...out-you-1.aspx

Hope this info helps. Cheers
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:37 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

BB, I just looked up...if you google this "significance of indian bindis" theres a lot of info

Cheers
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the links and I've looked at them all ...and the search. It's quite complex isn't it? I understand the red dot for ladies. For the guys it seems to be a religious statement and dependent on caste too? Maybe I won't delve further unless I get talking to the guy, though it's probably a personal statement i guess so maybe not good form/polite to discuss.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:37 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

BB, no harm in asking....yes to some it might be a religious thing but it's not impolite to ask, matter of fact the person/s will be happy to share info with you.

Cheers
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
BB, no harm in asking....yes to some it might be a religious thing but it's not impolite to ask, matter of fact the person/s will be happy to share info with you.

Cheers
Agree with you, I was about to post the same thing.
As a Christian married to a Hindu, I seem to have spent a lot of time explaining in some small way to interested people. Hinduism to Christians and Christianity to Hindus.
I have learnt though, to steer clear of the subject of 'missionaries', no meeting of minds there!!!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:31 am

Thanks IndianFriend, Thanks Bipat. Oh course I didn't see the guy today

Well I don't actually know the guy, we just say Good Mornings, but I might go chat with him if I see him again this week. Hope he doesn't get the wrong idea hehe

I've written on my ever growing List of Things to Do to have a read up on Hinduism. I know absolutely nothing about it apart from very nice temples.... and a surprising lot of temples in Penang. I'd always thought that most of the Indians here were Muslims but seems like there's quite a varied bunch... Christians too. Penang is such a melting pot of races and nationalities.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:44 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

BB, as I understand, Indians in Malaysia migrated many years back, times when it was all part of British India so that's more than 75 years back. A large number of the migrants were from the South of India, mainly Tamil Nadu (formerly Madras) and have integrated very well in their adopted country. Except for being of Indian origin, the 2nd and 3rd generations don't even think of themselves as 'Indians' but as Malaysians and have contributed greatly incl Sports, Business and other areas. Penang sounds like a nice place from what you say.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:23 am

Oh the guy is Malaysian Indian for sure. In Malaysia and Singapore (not sure about elsewhere in the region) the tendency is to refer to folks by their race... Indian, Chinese, Eurasian, Caucasian. Nothing rude about it. I think probably not PC in the UK but that's the UK for you eh.

I had a quick look through my little Penang history book and, you are correct, majority of Indians came in when Francis Light established Penang as a British trading port. Though the book also mentions about some earlier Indian merchants settling here too and were a major force in the heyday of the Malacca (Melaka) Empire during the 1400s. Crikey... so much history... but probably going right off topic as usual.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:54 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

BB, ok maybe off topic but useful info for sure.

Cheers