Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Expat community and schools in Mumbai?

Expat community and schools in Mumbai?

Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Sorcha1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat community and schools in Mumbai?

My husband has been invited to apply for a job in Mumbai. We would be moving with our 3 children and our oldest will be starting A levels in September. Most international schools websites I've looked at don't offer A levels, and fees, where they are published, are insanely expensive. Does anyone know of a good school which offers A levels please?

I have also struggled to find much of an expat community in Mumbai- I'm sure there must be one - does anyone know of any on line forums popular with expats in Mumbai?

Last edited by Sorcha1; Mar 30th 2016 at 8:36 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat community and schools in Mumbai?

Originally Posted by Sorcha1
My husband has been invited to apply for a job in Mumbai. We would be moving with our 3 children and our oldest will be starting A levels in September. Most international schools websites I've looked at don't offer A levels, and fees where they are published are insanely expensive. Does anyone know of a good school which offers A levels please?

I have also struggled to find much of an expat community in Mumbai- I'm sure there must be one - does anyone know of any on line forums popular with expats in Mumbai?
Sorry can't help personally as more of an 'inpat' in Karnataka with relatives in Mumbai and I don't know any expats.
'A-level' grade Indian students attend colleges rather than schools.

I think you will get more help from the Indiamike Forum.

Mumbai (Bombay) - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

Good luck
B.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Sorcha1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks B. I'll check out the forum. I am just curious, do you know why are A levels offered by colleges rather than schools?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorcha1
Thanks B. I'll check out the forum. I am just curious, do you know why are A levels offered by colleges rather than schools?
It has always been that way (since British time!) matriculation at 15-16 years old, then go to a city college the first two years the equivalent of A-levels.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
It has always been that way (since British time!) matriculation at 15-16 years old, then go to a city college the first two years the equivalent of A-levels.
Just curious

I left school in 1959

In those days we used to write the senior Cambrige exams where the exams, as I recall, were shipped to England, marked there, and returned to the school in India

I imagine this must have all changed?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by xavier1955
Just curious

I left school in 1959

In those days we used to write the senior Cambrige exams where the exams, as I recall, were shipped to England, marked there, and returned to the school in India

I imagine this must have all changed?
This has always happened in just a very few private schools where children of wealthy parents take these exams in order to make entry into Cambridge or Oxford University easier. It is probably even less now than it was just after independence.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
This has always happened in just a very few private schools where children of wealthy parents take these exams in order to make entry into Cambridge or Oxford University easier. It is probably even less now than it was just after independence.
OK THANKS FOR THE CLARIFICATION

i WENT TO SCHOOL IN HAZARIBAGH WITH THE JESUITS
Old Sep 4th 2016, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

BiPat said:
This has always happened in just a very few private schools where children of wealthy parents take these exams in order to make entry into Cambridge or Oxford University easier...
I'm really pretty sure that it wasn't to make entry easier, but rather to make marking more er... impartial!

AndyD 8-)
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
BiPat said:

I'm really pretty sure that it wasn't to make entry easier, but rather to make marking more er... impartial!

AndyD 8-)
Andy why do you say that? The exams were set by a Cambridge authority, so obviously were marked by them, and therefore had a 'prestige' when applying for a 'local' university.
(Exams were very strictly marked in India itself with 'cut-throat' competition for top college places--)