Emigrating to India

Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

IndiaInMyMind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating to India

Originally Posted by dandelionseed
I emigrated last Sept to India on an Entry visa, which once my papers are sorted will give me a residential permit, but only valid for here in Auroville (http://www.auroville.org/ for more info). I will then continue to live here on an extended entry visa which can be renewed every 5 years. It is something unique to Auroville though.

My husband was born here (although he's not of Indian origin) but he has an Indian birth certificate so can apply for POI/OCI status enabling us to live elsewhere/buy land etc. Well, once the papers are sorted anyway, been waiting nearly 7 months, Indian bureaucracy is painful.

I know a number of people who divide their time between the West and India which makes the visa thing less of an issue. They spend Oct-March here whilst the weather is nice and then return when it hots up in April.

I would definitely suggest coming to India first and seeing how you like it. Did you have ideas about where you would like to live?

Thank you so much "dandelionseed".

Yes, I know a lot about Auroville only can not live with all the restrictions there.

I was an exchange student on the North of India and loved it there, most likely I wil live in one of the Northern States again. I was a History Teacher and am very familiar with Indian subcontinent.

I hope we can stay in touch...

Last edited by IndiaInMyMind; Mar 21st 2014 at 5:43 pm. Reason: misspelled
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:57 am
Just Joined

dandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndiaInMyMind
Thank you so much "dandelionseed".

Yes, I know a lot about Auroville only can not live with all the restrictions there.

I was an exchange student on the North of India and loved it there, most likely I wil live in one of the Northern States again. I was a History Teacher and am very familiar with Indian subcontinent.

I hope we can stay in touch...
Hi, yes I guess there are restrictions but there are so any ways to live here. I am in an interesting situation in that I didn't come to Auroville based on a need for spiritual salvation. I came because my husband grew up here and because I want my son to grow up in a beautiful place. Here we are free to live a more simple and ecologically sound life. Not everyone here is some religious nut (they tend to be the minority in my experience). Anyway, it's interesting to hear that you've heard of the place.

I have very little knowledge of the North, not been further than Mumbai although I hope to travel further afield in the future. I think that the tourist visa may have changed recently so that provided you leave the country to renew the 6 month visa then you can return immediately after. This would mean you could rent a place and just make a short trip, maybe to Nepal for example, every 6 months. Might be worth looking into.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:32 am
Just Joined

IndiaInMyMind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dandelionseed
Hi, yes I guess there are restrictions but there are so any ways to live here. I am in an interesting situation in that I didn't come to Auroville based on a need for spiritual salvation. I came because my husband grew up here and because I want my son to grow up in a beautiful place. Here we are free to live a more simple and ecologically sound life. Not everyone here is some religious nut (they tend to be the minority in my experience). Anyway, it's interesting to hear that you've heard of the place.

I have very little knowledge of the North, not been further than Mumbai although I hope to travel further afield in the future. I think that the tourist visa may have changed recently so that provided you leave the country to renew the 6 month visa then you can return immediately after. This would mean you could rent a place and just make a short trip, maybe to Nepal for example, every 6 months. Might be worth looking into.

Yes, some people do six-months in and six-months out, or any variation of that, but that is not for me: Since you have a young child you must be a young woman therefore it would be easy for you but not for me, I am too old to keep two households and run in between both. Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

dandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond reputedandelionseed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndiaInMyMind
Yes, some people do six-months in and six-months out, or any variation of that, but that is not for me: Since you have a young child you must be a young woman therefore it would be easy for you but not for me, I am too old to keep two households and run in between both. Thanks.
Haha, yes, I guess I am young-ish. We couldn't afford to leave the country every 6 months, something we're glad to avoid with the visa we have. I meant that you might be able to leave for a week and re-enter the country with the new 6 month visa.

Anyway, hope you find a solution that works for you.