Reload this Page >

Do you have to send your original documents when applying for an OCI

Do you have to send your original documents when applying for an OCI

Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

angelabhatia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to send your original documents when applying for an OCI

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience in applying for an OCI. I need my surrender certificate to travel and the link clearly states that I need to submit my original documents.

Surrender Certificate

OCI applicants should surrender their Indian Passports in one of the <<<snip>>> centres <<<snip>>>... and submit the original Surrender Certificate & a copy of Surrender Certificate along with the OCI application. After verifying the facts the original surrender certificate will be returned to the applicant.

http://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 26th 2013 at 2:55 pm. Reason: company name and url removed
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to send your original documents when applying for an OCI

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to send your original documents when applying for an OCI

Hi angelabhatia,

Welcome to BE!!

I wasn't quite sure where the best place for your thread was, so I have moved it from our Introductions forum to our India forum. As I know I've seen this topic discussed in that section before. Hopefully another member will be along soon who may be able to share some pointers. In the meantime take some time to read through the other threads and get to know everyone.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelabhatia
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience in applying for an OCI. I need my surrender certificate to travel and the link clearly states that I need to submit my original documents.

Surrender Certificate

OCI applicants should surrender their Indian Passports in one of the centres ... and submit the original Surrender Certificate & a copy of Surrender Certificate along with the OCI application. After verifying the facts the original surrender certificate will be returned to the applicant.

http://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html
If you apply by post, original documents must be sent, along with an envelope for their return.
If you go to the counter originals are examined and returned immediately and copies sent with the application.
Regarding surrender certificate I have no personal experience, as husband submitted an affidavit regarding his original passport. The original affidavit was sent with the application and not returned. (Obviously he had kept copies of it.)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:38 am
Just Joined

kbaruin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI postal application

Hello There

I have all the documents ready for the OCI application but am struggling to get the address to send the postal application. I come under Birmingham jurisdiction, so I need the address for CGI birmingham. Anyone applied for OCI by post??? what are the pocessing timings and the addresses please????

thanks
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI postal application

Originally Posted by kbaruin
Hello There

I have all the documents ready for the OCI application but am struggling to get the address to send the postal application. I come under Birmingham jurisdiction, so I need the address for CGI birmingham. Anyone applied for OCI by post??? what are the pocessing timings and the addresses please????

thanks
Hi and welcome to BE!!

I happened upon your thread and as we had a very similar thread on this subject also running I've moved your post into that thread as I thought you might be able to help each other with info.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI postal application

Originally Posted by kbaruin
Hello There

thanks
All info. will be here including address.
http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.p...om_pages&id=10

We also live in Birmingham area but used London for OCI applications.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:44 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Angela

AFAIK, yes the originals have to be submitted and will be returned after verification. Also remember that all copies you submit, must be attested.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

rajverma3135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
Hello Angela

AFAIK, yes the originals have to be submitted and will be returned after verification. Also remember that all copies you submit, must be attested.

Good Luck!
Hi Everyone

I just applied for OCI card at Consulate general of India, Birmingham. A quick question as they asked to supply attested photocopy, I sent them self attested photo copies of my documents.

Do u think will they accept it and not be fussy about it as they have original to see in front of them.

Also how long they take to make OCI card at Birmingham.

Thanks

Raj