British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   India (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/)
-   -   Devastating floods SE Asia killing many. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/devastating-floods-se-asia-killing-many-902694/)

BEVS Aug 31st 2017 2:20 am

Devastating floods SE Asia killing many.

From an article in the Guardian.

The worst monsoon rains in many many years has seen 1200 people die and brought Mumbai to a halt.

All this severe extreme weather across the globe does not bode well does it.

Bipat Aug 31st 2017 7:09 am

Re: Devastating floods SE Asia killing many.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12328264)
From an article in the Guardian.

The worst monsoon rains in many many years has seen 1200 people die and brought Mumbai to a halt.

All this severe extreme weather across the globe does not bode well does it.

Problems also in India if the Monsoon is poor--as it leads to drought and problems for farmers and affects the economy!

Similar floods in Mumbai about 12 years ago, rains came suddenly in afternoon and people trapped in their offices etc. The drainage systems just unable to cope.
The high rise blocks of flats suffer--the ground floor destroyed etc. previously whole blocks have come down.
Drain covers get washed away and people wading along the streets can't see this fall in and drown--horrifying.

BEVS Aug 31st 2017 9:30 pm

Terrible.

It is such a large area. What can be done other than live through it and hopefully recover in some way afterward ?

I did wonder about a light monsoon as everyone in the area would have planting cycles etc according to the 'seasons'.

Bipat Aug 31st 2017 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12329007)
Terrible.

It is such a large area. What can be done other than live through it and hopefully recover in some way afterward ?

I did wonder about a light monsoon as everyone in the area would have planting cycles etc according to the 'seasons'.

Each country has different problems. Bangladesh always has floods, landslides etc. Also Nepal.
India, most often the worry is about not enough rain, but as now and twelve years ago occasionally it is torrential. Mumbai particularly suffers as there are some very old buildings in the poorer parts of the city and as happened last night can collapse.
At a more mundane level transport difficulties, getting washed clothes dry, damp and mould on furniture are the problems.

weasel decentral Sep 7th 2017 3:21 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12329007)
Terrible.

It was back to normal the day after, the actual floods receded in a day. Mostly a day of transport chaos, rather than anything else.
Collapsing buildings are common in Mumbai, the demise of some was hastened this time by the water.

BEVS Sep 7th 2017 3:58 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12332912)
It was back to normal the day after, the actual floods receded in a day. Mostly a day of transport chaos, rather than anything else.
Collapsing buildings are common in Mumbai, the demise of some was hastened this time by the water.

It all looked quite dreadful , so it is good to read it was more or less business as usual the next day despite destruction and death.

I think India does pick herself up well this way. I'm always impressed by how the Kumbh (sp) is handled. Astonishing.

weasel decentral Sep 7th 2017 4:45 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12332935)
It all looked quite dreadful , so it is good to read it was more or less business as usual the next day despite destruction and death.

I think India does pick herself up well this way. I'm always impressed by how the Kumbh (sp) is handled. Astonishing.

You can look at it in this way; the standard of the roads, sewerage and housing is so bad that flooding does not cause an appreciable dis-improvement to the existing.:lol:

The general chaos and disorganisation of the city in an average day is pretty high without flooding. The floods also coincided with the Ganpati festival which also brings huge disruption for two weeks. Though this time the water came to the idols rather than the other way around !

scot47 Sep 7th 2017 6:42 am

Meanwhile in Trumpistan the Trumpeter-in-chief tells us that Global Warming and Climate Change are myths put about by his enemies.

Bipat Sep 7th 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12332935)

It wasn't as bad in Mumbai as it was 12 years ago, the building which came down was 117 years old and most people had already been evacuated for renovation tragically some families had not left and lost their lives.

The drainage system copes as well as anywhere after the first few hours, so traffic gets going. But obviously sewage comes to the surface for those hours which means hosing down of persons and vehicles afterwards.
Those in groundfloor flats suffer from losing belongings etc.

(I dislike staying in Mumbai but have many relatives who would live no-where else--It is the vibrance and money to be made!!)

Other States flooding was much worse, Bihar, Assam etc. in the north.

Elsewhere just heavy rain --(lightening brought down a tree on our garden (south) just missed the house but metal pipes were burned through).