Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

No proof of Indian citizenship for OCI card but...

No proof of Indian citizenship for OCI card but...

Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

manny1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No proof of Indian citizenship for OCI card but...

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can come to my saviour for a problem which i have been procrastinating over for a good year and half for the very reasons which I am about to explain!

My mother came to the UK in 1981 and became a full British citizen in 1989, when she surrendered her Indian passport to the Home Office she never received it back in the post. I have a photocopy of the mainpage of the passport which my mother managed to keep and it has her passport number on it but I was told it would not be accepted by the relevant authorities in her application for the OCI card.

Now, my father applied for his OCI card back in 2013 and he successfully obtained it without problems, I completed an application today to go down the spouse route where I have provided proof of his OCI card and then a photocopy of my mothers British passport to prove her citizenship.

I have now set the appointment and the images have all been uploaded, will the application go through successfully or will it be rejected because I have not provided any proof of my mothers Indian citizenship instead just going through my father who in fact does have a OCI card, I have uploaded a marriage certificate which proves that they have been married for more than 2 years.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Manny
Old Oct 24th 2016, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No proof of Indian citizenship for OCI card but...

Originally Posted by manny1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can come to my saviour for a problem which i have been procrastinating over for a good year and half for the very reasons which I am about to explain!

My mother came to the UK in 1981 and became a full British citizen in 1989, when she surrendered her Indian passport to the Home Office she never received it back in the post. I have a photocopy of the mainpage of the passport which my mother managed to keep and it has her passport number on it but I was told it would not be accepted by the relevant authorities in her application for the OCI card.

Now, my father applied for his OCI card back in 2013 and he successfully obtained it without problems, I completed an application today to go down the spouse route where I have provided proof of his OCI card and then a photocopy of my mothers British passport to prove her citizenship.

I have now set the appointment and the images have all been uploaded, will the application go through successfully or will it be rejected because I have not provided any proof of my mothers Indian citizenship instead just going through my father who in fact does have a OCI card, I have uploaded a marriage certificate which proves that they have been married for more than 2 years.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Manny
Not sure what you mean by "spouse route", you can apply on the strength of being your father's child. I presume you have a birth certificate to show your relationship to your father?
There should be no problem, my children have OCI (I am British) unless the rules have changed very recently!!

(The only other thing you can get is an affidavit regarding your mother's birth place and regarding the return of her passport. This was needed by my OH to get his OCI but he also had school certificates etc.)
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

manny1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Many thanks for your kind reply

I am not talking about me but in fact my mother, my father applied and then successfully obtained his OCI card but my mother does not have such a straight forward route towards it. As mentioned, she does not have any birth certificate, school certificate or indian passport to prove her previous nationality. I have gone on to apply for the OCi for her anyway on the basis that she is the spouse of someone who does have an OCI and as evidence I have sent my fathers OCI card and a copy of their marriage certificate. My original question is will she be okay to get the OCI or will it not be successful because she does not have evidence of her previous Indian nationality.

Kind regards

Manny
Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manny1
Hi there

Many thanks for your kind reply

I am not talking about me but in fact my mother, my father applied and then successfully obtained his OCI card but my mother does not have such a straight forward route towards it. As mentioned, she does not have any birth certificate, school certificate or indian passport to prove her previous nationality. I have gone on to apply for the OCi for her anyway on the basis that she is the spouse of someone who does have an OCI and as evidence I have sent my fathers OCI card and a copy of their marriage certificate. My original question is will she be okay to get the OCI or will it not be successful because she does not have evidence of her previous Indian nationality.

Kind regards

Manny
I see, I thought you were applying. As I said above there should be no problem but an affidavit regarding her passport would be useful. This is a common problem as all Indian passports used previously to be kept by UK authorities (and presumably destroyed!). Any evidence of birth place also useful. Anything you have ---take it.
(Spouse OCI can take up to six months to be processed).

Regards B.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

pan_oci_app is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi manny,

Was your application successful? We are facing the same issue - no proof of Indian citizenship for OCI application.

Did you also have to obtain a passport surrender certificate before your OCI application? That is the route we are attempting to follow.