British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   India (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/)
-   -   Cost and feasibility (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/cost-feasibility-905035/)

Slartibartfarst42 Oct 24th 2017 8:11 pm

Cost and feasibility

I'm thinking about the possibility of retiring to India, partly for the climate and partly because I can't afford to retire in the UK. As cost is a key cost for me, what sort of monthly income would be needed to allow two people to live a reasonably comfortable life in India?

I'd also be grateful if someone could advise me about some good areas for retirement that have good medical care, things to see, facilities and is cost effective area.

Finally, I read online last week that India doesn't have a retirement visa so if that is true, does that mean I couldn't retire to India?

Thanks

scot47 Oct 26th 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Cost and feasibility

Foreign nationals have problems in doing this. It can be done by OCIs.

I suppose we should await a reply on the lines of "I am not foreign. I am British !"

Pulaski Oct 26th 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Slartibartfarst42 (Post 12367799)
I'm thinking about the possibility of retiring to India, partly for the climate and partly because I can't afford to retire in the UK. ....

The Philippines or Malaysia may work better for you, at least based on the posts on BE related to those countries.

Bipat Oct 26th 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Slartibartfarst42 (Post 12367799)
I'm thinking about the possibility of retiring to India, partly for the climate and partly because I can't afford to retire in the UK. As cost is a key cost for me, what sort of monthly income would be needed to allow two people to live a reasonably comfortable life in India?

I'd also be grateful if someone could advise me about some good areas for retirement that have good medical care, things to see, facilities and is cost effective area.

Finally, I read online last week that India doesn't have a retirement visa so if that is true, does that mean I couldn't retire to India?

Thanks

I had thought that this was not a serious question as presumably you had never visited India. It has 29 mainland States all with different climate, terrain, cost of living, cities, 'facilities' so your questions are impossible to answer.

As others have said above retirement is difficult but possible for 'foreigners', in the first instance a tourist visa of six months is the longest you can get. Later on a longer visa is possible if you rent a property for example, but it is necessary to leave the country to renew it (read the Goa part of this forum where some British people have retired along with many other nationalities.)

Bert49uk Nov 4th 2017 1:21 pm

Bipat, you are a bit out of date, no more six month tourist visa, you now can get 5 years, but you have to leave every six months

Bipat Nov 4th 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bert49uk (Post 12374626)
Bipat, you are a bit out of date, no more six month tourist visa, you now can get 5 years, but you have to leave every six months

Since when?? Initial UK tourist visa is given for 6 months. (Apart from e-visa).
Those who have a residence can later apply for a longer visa.

(Self have OCI)

a_f_d Nov 4th 2017 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12374689)
Since when?? Initial UK tourist visa is given for 6 months. (Apart from e-visa).
Those who have a residence can later apply for a longer visa.

(Self have OCI)

... since about a year ago:

Tourist Up to One Year (Single / Multiple entry)(maximum stay of 180 days per visit) 113.00+ 7.44= 120.44 Visa Duration From One Year Up to Five Years (Multiple entries) (maximum stay of 180 days per visit) 333.00 + 7.44 = 340.44

AndyD 8-)

Bipat Nov 4th 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 12374713)
... since about a year ago:

Tourist Up to One Year (Single / Multiple entry)(maximum stay of 180 days per visit) 113.00+ 7.44= 120.44 Visa Duration From One Year Up to Five Years (Multiple entries) (maximum stay of 180 days per visit) 333.00 + 7.44 = 340.44

AndyD 8-)

Yes I saw that but does anyone actually get more than 6 months on a first application? I only know from relative's applications and they got 6 months, last December.

India Visa Information - UK - Visa Types - Tourist Visa

spouse of scouse Nov 4th 2017 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12374719)
Yes I saw that but does anyone actually get more than 6 months on a first application? I only know from relative's applications and they got 6 months, last December.

India Visa Information - UK - Visa Types - Tourist Visa

I only got 6 months on my first application 3 months ago, dual entry (which I assume means I can enter and leave twice within the 6 months validity).

Slartibartfarst42 Nov 5th 2017 5:02 am

Having to apply for a new visa every 6 months seems like a bit of a pain. What am I supposed to do with all of our belongings? India was certainly my first choice but it looks like I'll have to retire elsewhere now.

a_f_d Nov 5th 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12374788)
I only got 6 months on my first application 3 months ago, dual entry (which I assume means I can enter and leave twice within the 6 months validity).

Plenty of recent reports on IM of people getting multi-entry 1-year T visas, max stay 180 days (in fact they seem to be the new norm). Also a few successful 5-yr T's - there might have been more, but I think people are understandably wary about risking that amount of money..
The visa regime seems to be easing but even previously dual-entry (rather than multi) was very unusual in the UK, except for people with police/military/journalism connections.

AndyD 8-)

a_f_d Nov 5th 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Slartibartfarst42 (Post 12374969)
Having to apply for a new visa every 6 months seems like a bit of a pain. What am I supposed to do with all of our belongings? India was certainly my first choice but it looks like I'll have to retire elsewhere now.

You mention belongings, which suggests you are thinking about some form of accommodation/property long-term.
Some people who have [managed to] purchase property, and allegedly some who have long-term leases*, can get 'X' visas, which do not have the 180 day limit - and can be renewed in India for up to 5 years.
Alternatively some 5-year Tourist visas are being issued in the UK, which (technically at least) just require a one or two day trip out of the country every 6 months.
There are local agencies who arrange at-home or live-in nursing care - again caveat emptor.

Some other Asian countries are more welcoming of retirees, but often have quite high income/remittance requirements.

hth - AndyD 8-)

* Foreigners can legally take property in India on a lease of up to 5 years without restrictions or permissions.

Bipat Nov 5th 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 12375020)
Plenty of recent reports on IM of people getting multi-entry 1-year T visas, max stay 180 days (in fact they seem to be the new norm). Also a few successful 5-yr T's - there might have been more, but I think people are understandably wary about risking that amount of money..
The visa regime seems to be easing but even previously dual-entry (rather than multi) was very unusual in the UK, except for people with police/military/journalism connections.

AndyD 8-)

Hello Andy!--My point was that the OP has never previously visited India.
Are the applicants mentioned on IM first time tourists? I had the impression that on initial application a 6 month was usual? As you say a risk to spend more money if you don't get the visa you applied for (no refund).

(Possible more reciprocal visa easing if Brexit deal!:lol:)

a_f_d Nov 5th 2017 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12375039)
Hello Andy!--My point was that the OP has never previously visited India.
Are the applicants mentioned on IM first time tourists? I had the impression that on initial application a 6 month was usual? As you say a risk to spend more money if you don't get the visa you applied for (no refund).

(Possible more reciprocal visa easing if Brexit deal!:lol:)

Hi Bipat,
I have no personal knowledge because we don't apply for T visas, but my strong impression is that 12-month T's are now the norm in the UK and many other places (same cost a 6 months), and 5-years are definitely available.
It may be tighter if you are not applying in your home country.
Don't forget that the volume of (traditional) visa applications has reduced to a trickle since eVisas.

AndyD 8-)