Reload this Page >

Moving to Mumbai from UK

Moving to Mumbai from UK

Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:31 am
Just Joined

britpassport1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Mumbai from UK

Hi,

I'm considering moving to Mumbai next year with my family (wife & 2 kids - 2 year old & 1 year old). We would be living in Chembur as I've got access to accommodation there and hence no rental costs. I'm doing some sums on monthly costs and would be grateful if someone could shed some light on it.

Also, no firm job offers, but may quit and try my luck there. Also, my wife is a qualified Chartered Accountant with 10 years experience split between Mumbai & UK, so she may stand a better chance of securing a job. Also, it would be good to know if a qualified Chartered Accountant can aim for a job paying 15-18 lacs/year because I feel that's what we would need to live on.

I've allowed 15k/child/month cost as fees. Do you know if this is reasonable for a IGCSE/IB school in Chembur/Ghatkopar area ?

Any input would be helpful

Living Expenses

School fees.................30000
Misc school costs.........5000
Electricity charges........5000
Gas charges................1000
Society charges...........2000
Telephone charges.......500
Mobile phone charges...2000
Internet..................... 1500
Kids clothes + toys......6000
Adult clothes...............3000
Haircuts.....................1000
Maid..........................2000
Cook..........................3000
Health Insurance..........2200
Life Insurance..............1000
TV cable charges..........600
Transportation.............10000
Grocery......................11000
Entertainment..............10000
Doctors.......................5000
Medicines....................3000
Total..........................104800
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mumbai from UK

Originally Posted by britpassport1
Hi,

I'm considering moving to Mumbai next year with my family (wife & 2 kids - 2 year old & 1 year old). We would be living in Chembur as I've got access to accommodation there and hence no rental costs. I'm doing some sums on monthly costs and would be grateful if someone could shed some light on it.

Also, no firm job offers, but may quit and try my luck there. Also, my wife is a qualified Chartered Accountant with 10 years experience split between Mumbai & UK, so she may stand a better chance of securing a job. Also, it would be good to know if a qualified Chartered Accountant can aim for a job paying 15-18 lacs/year because I feel that's what we would need to live on.

I've allowed 15k/child/month cost as fees. Do you know if this is reasonable for a IGCSE/IB school in Chembur/Ghatkopar area ?

Any input would be helpful

Living Expenses

School fees.................30000
Misc school costs.........5000
Electricity charges........5000
Gas charges................1000
Society charges...........2000
Telephone charges.......500
Mobile phone charges...2000
Internet..................... 1500
Kids clothes + toys......6000
Adult clothes...............3000
Haircuts.....................1000
Maid..........................2000
Cook..........................3000
Health Insurance..........2200
Life Insurance..............1000
TV cable charges..........600
Transportation.............10000
Grocery......................11000
Entertainment..............10000
Doctors.......................5000
Medicines....................3000
Total..........................104800
Presume you are both of Indian origin with OCI cards. You don't say what your line of work is. If your wife has worked there, again I presume you have contacts otherwise chartered accountant is a very popular job so competition. The starting salary will vary.
General household and 'helper' spending will depend on the 'lifestyle' you want.

I know the Chembur/Ghatkopar area quite well, as have stayed there with close relatives regularly over decades and I would need a very good potential salary to offset the general horror of traffic congestion there. In rush hour it can take hour and half to drive even 10 miles.
Transportation costs will depend whether you buy a car, use a driver employed by you or the 'job', or brave the trains/buses.
Schools-- if you don't get a place in an International school the capitation fees of private schools can be 1 lac.
There are no real parks or green spaces for children.
Personally it would be the last place I would want to live with or without children but I know relatives there who would live nowhere else, mainly because they have been there for years and so have property and because of the money they can earn!
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bipat
Presume you are both of Indian origin with OCI cards. You don't say what your line of work is. If your wife has worked there, again I presume you have contacts otherwise chartered accountant is a very popular job so competition. The starting salary will vary.
General household and 'helper' spending will depend on the 'lifestyle' you want.

I know the Chembur/Ghatkopar area quite well, as have stayed there with close relatives regularly over decades and I would need a very good potential salary to offset the general horror of traffic congestion there. In rush hour it can take hour and half to drive even 10 miles.
Transportation costs will depend whether you buy a car, use a driver employed by you or the 'job', or brave the trains/buses.
Schools-- if you don't get a place in an International school the capitation fees of private schools can be 1 lac.
There are no real parks or green spaces for children.
Personally it would be the last place I would want to live with or without children but I know relatives there who would live nowhere else, mainly because they have been there for years and so have property and because of the money they can earn!
Hi Bipat,

Thanks for your response. Some clarification

Again, thanks for your input. In terms of average living costs for a middle class family, do you have any input on my costs ? I do realise many of it is subjective as in which restaurants and how often do you go, etc, etc, but say a family day out at a mall or kids play area once/twice a week - would that equate to roughly 10,000 a month ?
                    Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:57 pm
                    Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bipat,

Thanks for your response. Some clarification

Again, thanks for your input. In terms of average living costs for a middle class family, do you have any input on my costs ? I do realise many of it is subjective as in which restaurants and how often do you go, etc, etc, but say a family day out at a mall or kids play area once/twice a week - would that equate to roughly 10,000 a month ?
                                      Hello,
                                      I think with schools you need to contact the school and ask about fees for the particular age group and then visit yourself to judge.
                                      Helpers now are very organised and will do just as little or as much as you want for a fixed price, most live out. It will be necessary to ask around where you actually live for recommendations.
                                      As for days out, as you say it depends what you eat and what you want to buy, but your budget would seem very low-- on looking on-line, the least expensive child play areas seem to cost around 500 rupees an hour.

Sorry not able to help with specific prices but going for a few weeks trial would seem to be the best way.
                                      (Was there three weeks ago for just 4 days, and was relieved to get away. Possibly it is our age, we used to enjoy Mumbai but now as senior citizens and with the increased congestion it is just a place for brief duty visits. As OH remarked probably the young enjoy the 'buzz')

You could try looking at the Indiamike Forum, Mumbai section for info.
                                      Mumbai (Bombay) - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
                                      Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:52 am
                                      Just Joined

Thanks Bipat. The schools in Mumbai seem very protective of sharing the fees. I don't see why they just cannot put it up on their website. Oh well, will check with them. Thanks for everything
                                      Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:05 pm
                                      Just Joined

shinninglikeme is an unknown quantity at this point

Fees of any International Borad school is around 1,50,000 Rs for Indian residents.
                                      No clues for the NRIs and also they take a lot of bribe , so you need to know someone . in spite of the JACK you will have to give money for admissions in the name of donations to the school.
                                      Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:30 am
                                      Just Joined

Just an update to our moving process.

We've managed to secure admission for our child in an international school. Just for anyone looking for reference the fees are roughly INR 80,000/year for nursery rising roughly 10% as you go higher

The Indian schools tend to be very protective of displaying their fees, not sure why. Oh well onwards and upwards !

Now, onto the next step which is to secure employment

Let's see how that goes. Couple of follow up questions for people aware of the Chembur/Ghatkopar area, are there any swimming pools where you can just pay as you use ? I've done a search and the one's I have come across you need to be a member of the club (Jolly Gymkhana, Sindhi Society Gymkhana, etc), or a guest of the member.

Just wondering if there is an option of pools where you can just pay on the day you want to use it
                                      Old Oct 20th 2016, 1:09 pm
                                      Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just an update to our moving process.

We've managed to secure admission for our child in an international school. Just for anyone looking for reference the fees are roughly INR 80,000/year for nursery rising roughly 10% as you go higher

The Indian schools tend to be very protective of displaying their fees, not sure why. Oh well onwards and upwards !

Now, onto the next step which is to secure employment

Let's see how that goes. Couple of follow up questions for people aware of the Chembur/Ghatkopar area, are there any swimming pools where you can just pay as you use ? I've done a search and the one's I have come across you need to be a member of the club (Jolly Gymkhana, Sindhi Society Gymkhana, etc), or a guest of the member.

Just wondering if there is an option of pools where you can just pay on the day you want to use it
                                      Sorry, also only know about the club pools, probably the municipal pools do not advertise on line.
                                      You might ask on Indiamike

Mumbai (Bombay) - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
                                      Old May 22nd 2017, 4:18 pm
                                      Just Joined

sagarsarkar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello people I realise that this may be an old post thread...but here goes, can anyone please recommend a reliable and reasonably priced relocation service from UK to Mumbai? I have had some quotes which are through the roof...and a few cheap ones but I am not sure if the companies are reliable...don't want to hand my stuff over to a bunch of cowboys and suffer in agony....any help will be appreciated...I have had good quotes from a company called Eagle Relocations...can anyone vouch for them at all? Many thanks. Saga
                                      Old May 22nd 2017, 4:54 pm
                                      Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sagarsarkar
                                      Hello people I realise that this may be an old post thread...but here goes, can anyone please recommend a reliable and reasonably priced relocation service from UK to Mumbai? I have had some quotes which are through the roof...and a few cheap ones but I am not sure if the companies are reliable...don't want to hand my stuff over to a bunch of cowboys and suffer in agony....any help will be appreciated...I have had good quotes from a company called Eagle Relocations...can anyone vouch for them at all? Many thanks. Saga
                                      Get used to it, you will be dealing with plenty to cowboys once you get out there.
                                      Old May 22nd 2017, 5:15 pm
                                      Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by geoff52
                                      Get used to it, you will be dealing with plenty to cowboys once you get out there.
                                      There are cowboys in every country. Could I suggest the OP asks on the IndiaMike Forum as it is more used than here. It is a travel Forum but people post on most things.

India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com