Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Best place in India to Live?

Best place in India to Live?

Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in India to Live?

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Personal view:
like Bombay - the centre not the suburbs
like Delhi - the suburbs not the centre (has the most threatening touts/thugs I've met in India)
liked Bangalore when I visited, also Mysore (but only for a visit)
haven't made my mind up about Madras, but no bad vibes
Coorg is great to unwind
Kerala was nice for a holiday (is the fish still good & cheap?)
Kochi was interesting and food / hotels are said to be improving so I should think about another visit
Darjeeling was quaint but nice 40 years ago
The Kashmir was wonderful ditto
I choose to live in Goa for at least half of the year

AndyD
Never been to Darjeeling, last went to Kashmir about 20 yrs ago with the children by bus from Jammu in April (they never forgave me that trip we went back by taxi!!!).
Certainly wonderful I would have stayed there if single.

Living full time in India my ideal choice would be Chennai, it has everything beach resorts, rail access to rest of South, good shopping, clean fast food veg. places with strong coffee. Western imports from Singapore. Cultural activities music and dance.
Negative v. hot summer and water shortages.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:43 am
Banned

winspirititsolutions is an unknown quantity at this point

Delhi or Goa Is the best place for such type of living
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:31 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winspirititsolutions
Delhi or Goa Is the best place for such type of living
Hi winspirititsolutions - welcome to BE. I will let one of our other members answer your question, as I have only spent a day or two in Delhi.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:37 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Winspirit

Welcome to BE and the India and Goa forums.

Are you local to Goa or Delhi or someone who visits aplenty?

Dread - x
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Moritz is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite place in India is Shilong-Meghalaya. (Also called Little Scotland of India) I love nature, lush green environment and friendly tribal locals. I have been in Shilong twice some years ago. Nowadays I do not come to India anymore...only to renew my passport every 5 years since in Nepal we do not have a Belgian Embassy. Next to Shilong I love trekking from Simla and Naldera in Himachal Pradesh & over Rohru to Uttar Pradesh,
I am a mountain lover...that's why I live in Nepal now. Nepal has everything that India has to offer too. Some people love the beach more than the mountains. Not so the Belgians...they have enough sea and beaches at home so to say. Those who visit India should once come to Nepal and see for themselves. If anyone comes to Pokhara...be our guest. We have a nice big place to stay for you. If anyone want to invest in Nepal or purchase property...we can help you too! Many Restaurants and Hotels await new foreign investors and owners. You may wonder why? Very simple... recently Great Britain has allowed many Nepalese Ex-Gurkha Officers and their families
to settle in England or Scotland and so in Pokhara their own businesses and villas are for sale. Funny...they move west and many Europeans move east.
If I were in charge of Immigration laws world wide I would make a "swap yer passport" rule. For each person who want to migrate he/she should find someone who wants to take his/her place ha-ha. What a funny world would that be?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 12:13 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MOritz

Like that swap a passport idea - the only thing is that the UK is so small and has so many immigrants living there that there would be no actual Brits left there if that happened
Interesting comments about Nepal - but what does Nepalese law say about foreigners owning property ?

Dread - x
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Moritz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi MOritz

Like that swap a passport idea - the only thing is that the UK is so small and has so many immigrants living there that there would be no actual Brits left there if that happened
Interesting comments about Nepal - but what does Nepalese law say about foreigners owning property ?

Dread - x
To start with answering the question about foreigners owning property here is a link to some new development.
http://www.ktm2day.com/2011/12/01/fo...uy-apartments/

Next: We expats of Nepal say: Where there is a determination, there is a way to stay. Ha-ha... there are over 15000 long staying foreign expats in Nepal...some are very prominent visible and others are just silently enjoying life out here. There are many ways to have your own property in Nepal. The fastest way of course is to register a company. In Nepal most of the expats run a company that they own fully or as a JV. Such a company is entitled to buy and sell again any property and hold it legally for ever...even to be inherited by the next of kin. Foreigners can also have a so called retirement visa,buy and sell apartments. For the elderly actually it is far cheaper to rent something like a luxury villa. Oh man...I could go on ranting on this subject for ever. Fact is that I own property here in Nepal since over 15 years and never had a problem, except the minor quarrels that can happen everywhere and are not specific Nepalese etc.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Moritz
To start with answering the question about foreigners owning property here is a link to some new development.
http://www.ktm2day.com/2011/12/01/fo...uy-apartments/

Next: We expats of Nepal say: Where there is a determination, there is a way to stay. Ha-ha... there are over 15000 long staying foreign expats in Nepal...some are very prominent visible and others are just silently enjoying life out here. There are many ways to have your own property in Nepal. The fastest way of course is to register a company. In Nepal most of the expats run a company that they own fully or as a JV. Such a company is entitled to buy and sell again any property and hold it legally for ever...even to be inherited by the next of kin. Foreigners can also have a so called retirement visa,buy and sell apartments. For the elderly actually it is far cheaper to rent something like a luxury villa. Oh man...I could go on ranting on this subject for ever. Fact is that I own property here in Nepal since over 15 years and never had a problem, except the minor quarrels that can happen everywhere and are not specific Nepalese etc.
Thank you Moritz - I am sure that will be of interest to a lot of folks who are looking to escape the visa and property debacle of Goa and India but still want to stay in the Asian region

Dread - x
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

jacques111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mumbai and Goa are the suitable options for you because of too many facilities like hospital, malls, transportation as well. Rest of all is depends on your own choice.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

RiaAlvares is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Goa is a beautiful place...
Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Leicester East.

Davie.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by davidhendry
Leicester East.

Davie.

Dread =x
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Deanb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we bought a place in Goa it is a lovely 1 bedroom apartment on a complex in Arpora we think Goa is a lovely place to live but unfortunately we have to sell it as we are not able to own it in our own name, so we have to try to sell it to an Indian person (PIO'S) or overseas Indian so if anyone knows of a web site/investor who doesn't charge any up from fees we would be grateful. We have heard they charge 2% of sale price so again does anyone know if this is the going rate or too much. Many thanks all.
Dean
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RiaAlvares
I think Goa is a beautiful place...
Deputy Director of Tourism is reported as saying that ropeways and cable cars won't help to attract tourists as they will just reveal all the garbage beneath them!

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 4:38 pm
svk
Just Joined

svk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deanb
Hi we bought a place in Goa it is a lovely 1 bedroom apartment on a complex in Arpora we think Goa is a lovely place to live but unfortunately we have to sell it as we are not able to own it in our own name, so we have to try to sell it to an Indian person (PIO'S) or overseas Indian so if anyone knows of a web site/investor who doesn't charge any up from fees we would be grateful. We have heard they charge 2% of sale price so again does anyone know if this is the going rate or too much. Many thanks all.
Dean
Hi Dean, I am interested to buy this property. I am British National with OCI. Please email me your contact details to discuss further.

On the lighter side, well, if the puchase goes through, I promise to allow you to stay in the flat free of charge for 1Wk every year for the next 03 yrs or 03WK at a stretch in one year..

Thanks
Sunil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.