Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Originally Posted by nuzil
Can someone tell me what IELTS is and do native speaker need to take it. If I have 'superior English' then I have a 60 score in the Immigration points test
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System - a test of abilities in the English language across 4 areas of reading, listening, speaking and writing.

As a citizen of some countries, eg UK, you do not have to take the IELTS test to prove competent English, but if you want to claim a higher level then you would need to take either IELTS or one of the other recognised tests (OET, PTE, TOEFL iBT or CAE). IELTS was the only test for a long time accepted by DIBP, so is often mentioned but the others are now accepted. Some people find other tests easier than IELTS but many still just sit IELTS. To claim 'Superior English' you would need to score 8.0 or better in each of the 4 IELTS tests or the equivalent in the other tests.

Info here for Superior English - Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

nuzil is an unknown quantity at this point

So when it asks me on my English ability, I can answer 'Superior English' and get max points
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:14 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So when it asks me on my English ability, I can answer 'Superior English' and get max points
Only if you have the required score in one of the tests.

A UK passport / Citizenship (as well as some others) proves competent English - 0 points - only.

My guess is that you may struggle with IELTS if you came to your conclusion from the post I made.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

ouch that hurt.

Last edited by nuzil; Oct 2nd 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ouch that hurt.
The same thought had occurred to me. No point in telling you otherwise if you are going to try and get a superior score.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The same thought had occurred to me. No point in telling you otherwise if you are going to try and get a superior score.
No point telling me what?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No point telling me what?
There is no point letting you think that your English is Superior when it is not of the level that IELTS would consider Superior.

I freely admit that I could never pass at a Superior level and am just glad my visa was not dependent on it.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is no point letting you think that your English is Superior when it is not of the level that IELTS would consider Superior.

I freely admit that I could never pass at a Superior level and am just glad my visa was not dependent on it.
Is it a hard test? I just thought it was just to test how well you are at the English language, and it being my first language, I think I can read, speak etc well
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:32 am

Is it a hard test? I just thought it was just to test how well you are at the English language, and it being my first language, I think I can read, speak etc well
There are practice tests available online. You can also find examples of written pieces to the level you need as a guide.

EDIT - you have the advantage that you do not need to pass the test to prove you are competent. If you are adept at deciphering written text, writing formal and informal reports and similar, can listen to what people say and understand the context, and speak clearly, fluently and accurately then you may achieve a higher score. It may be hard to hear that this may not be the case, but it is better to know where you stand than set you up for unexpected failure. Practice is the key, and IELTS is not for everyone but there are alternatives.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 3rd 2017 at 2:36 am.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:19 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

If you Google the British Council IELTS website you can access their free IELTS practice test there. That should give you some idea of what you are up against.

Youtube also has some good advice if you dig around.

Regards,

Richard
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be for you but there have been plenty of English people who only speak English who haven't done as well in their IELTS tests as they thought. Do not assume anything but good luck with it.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

aman98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello ,
I am 20 and I have city&guilds level 1 and 2 I Ihave been working as plumber gas engineer for almost 2 year While i was going college , now I am planning to do gas course but I want to move in australia soon And I dont think my uk gas course will be accepted there , so I ended up here to get some advices . Thank you
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:05 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Skilled visa won't be an option as you don't have enough work experience. You might be better with some kind of student visa option allowing you to train in Australia.

Regards,

Richard
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Do you need work experience (and if so how much) for a 187 visa?
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Danireid1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa-93,

My boyfriend and I are currently trying to get through the visa process and on the skilled assessment. We're both from Scotland so he has the SVQ level 3 Plumbing and his gas tickets. Could I contact you for some help please? We're trying to match back what he did back in 2007 to the current Aus units and looks like a massive skill gaps(almost half!). Is this what you experienced?

Thanks
Dani

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.