Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Civil Site Engineer In UK With Some Hopefully Simple Q's

Civil Site Engineer In UK With Some Hopefully Simple Q's

Old Feb 18th 2019, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

BrindleyH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Site Engineer In UK With Some Hopefully Simple Q's

Hello all,

I have been researching moving to Australia for some time now, while I am fairly clear on the process there are a couple of things which I am unsure on before I start to progress.

I am a Site Civil Engineer in the UK currently, having researched the Skills Assement element, I am confident that I would qualify as a Civil Engineer which is on the MLTSSL.

Before I progress to this, I wondered if anyone had much experience of coming over on a shorter term working holiday visa and attempting to get 'serious' skilled work off the bat with a company, with a view to them then sponsoring after 6 months? Is this a common occurence or would I likely struggle for work due to the VISA restriction?

Opposite to this, assuming I have a positive skills assement am I more likely to be able to get a job from the UK and therefore come over on a 'Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) Medium-term stream' VISA, working with the company or are companies less willing to take someone on before working with them? How common is it for people to be sponsored by companies who they have no previous ties to?

Failing either of the above that would leave me looking to a Skilled Independent visa as my best way of getting work over there (which feel like a risk!)

Some advise would be much appreciated on this! Thank you all
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Site Engineer In UK With Some Hopefully Simple Q's

Companies are generally a lot less likely to sponsor these days as processing times have blown out and cost increased significantly.

A temporary sponsored visa visa is a very risky stratergy. Far more so than a independent skilled visa.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I progress to this, I wondered if anyone had much experience of coming over on a shorter term working holiday visa and attempting to get 'serious' skilled work off the bat with a company, with a view to them then sponsoring after 6 months? Is this a common occurence or would I likely struggle for work due to the VISA restriction?

This will be the route I will be pursuing when I come over this year.

Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan

This will be the route I will be pursuing when I come over this year.
This used to be a way that people tried but with increasing restrictions its much less likely these days to get you anything more than a nice holiday. Given that you hope to get serious career work on a WHV I think you may be disappointed from the start - such positions often take months for the employment process then they're only able to employ you for 6 months and that may not suit their timeline.

Go for a holiday, learn how to make cappuccino and have a good time and then work on getting a PR visa when you get home.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll

This used to be a way that people tried but with increasing restrictions its much less likely these days to get you anything more than a nice holiday. Given that you hope to get serious career work on a WHV I think you may be disappointed from the start - such positions often take months for the employment process then they're only able to employ you for 6 months and that may not suit their timeline.

Go for a holiday, learn how to make cappuccino and have a good time and then work on getting a PR visa when you get home.
I will take my chances
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

BrindleyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
Companies are generally a lot less likely to sponsor these days as processing times have blown out and cost increased significantly.

A temporary sponsored visa visa is a very risky stratergy. Far more so than a independent skilled visa.

Thank you for the replies, very interesting, so it sound like the WHV is not a good route as I feared.

You reference the cost for a company to sponsor someone which raises another question I had. By sponsoring someone does that mean they cover the visa cost for that individual? Or is this other costs they must pay and generally the future employee (ie me) also has to pay for their Visa?

Is the likelihood of employment fiarly good if you have been invited on a permanent visa but not in the country? As in you can basically say "I can come next month no hassle" once invited?

Thanks