Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday visa to Temporary Work (Skilled) visa

Working Holiday visa to Temporary Work (Skilled) visa

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

sm2109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday visa to Temporary Work (Skilled) visa

Hello,
I hope everyone is well.
I was hoping somebody on this forum might know how likely/unlikely it is for somebody to come to Australia on a Working Holiday visa (417) and find work whereby the employer is willing to sponsor on a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (457)? I was hoping to visit Adelaide but i'm flexible on location.
Thanks ,
Suj
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday visa to Temporary Work (Skilled) visa

Do you have an occupation on one of the skilled occupation lists?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 11:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sm2109
Hello,
I hope everyone is well.
I was hoping somebody on this forum might know how likely/unlikely it is for somebody to come to Australia on a Working Holiday visa (417) and find work whereby the employer is willing to sponsor on a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (457)? I was hoping to visit Adelaide but i'm flexible on location.
Thanks ,
Suj
For someone like a nurse it's much more likely than for someone like a barmaid. As VS says, do you have a skill on one of the lists which makes you eligible for a 457?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I hope everyone is well.
Thanks ,
Suj
My Canadian niece is doing this right now, but she is a very experienced equestrian if that is the right phrase. She has to stay with this employer for 2 years now, and there was quite a cost. But then a friend of mine is sponsoring a spouse from Indonesia and says quite a cost involved with that too. This was in NSW and spouse in QLD.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My Canadian niece is doing this right now, but she is a very experienced equestrian if that is the right phrase. She has to stay with this employer for 2 years now, and there was quite a cost. But then a friend of mine is sponsoring a spouse from Indonesia and says quite a cost involved with that too. This was in NSW and spouse in QLD.
Sponsoring your spouse is very different from sponsoring someone on a "temporary work visa" (presumably the OP means a 457) though.
If the OPis thinking of a 457 it is now much much cheaper than a Spouse Visa, but one doesn't need any skills for a Spouse Visa. One does need a skill in demand, amongst other things, for a 457.
OP, what is your job/skill?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Hello all,
I work as a data analyst. In a nutshell, i produce various types of reports for the business using the data they collect.
Do i need to have an occupation on the skilled occupation list or can an employer sponsor me if they think i'm doing a good job (not necessarily in the field i'm in now)?
Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Do i need to have an occupation on the skilled occupation list
Yes

or can an employer sponsor me if they think i'm doing a good job (not necessarily in the field i'm in now)?
No - your job has to be listed in the C/SOL to be eligible for sponsorship. Doing a "good job" isn't enough.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hello,
There are 2 occupations on the skilled occupation list that my current job could be classed under - intelligence officer or database administrator. Suppose somebody was willing to sponsor me on the 457 visa, would i need to sit any skill exams?
Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You would not need to sit exams, but would need to show you have the relevant experience / qualifications.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I hope everyone is well.
Thanks ,
Suj
I would imagine that the main problem you will have on the WHV is proving to an employer that you are worthy sponsorship material in the time. AFAIK you are only allowed to work for one employer for 6 mths (used to be 3mths in the 1980s).

Unless the requirements have changed, there is also now I believe, an undertaken the you will not (or do not to intend) to seek perm res from a WHV. Working for one employer for 6mths and then having that employer initiate sponsorship proceedings would seem to fly in the face of such an undertaking.

I was fortunate to be sponsored on the back of a WHV in the 80s. There was no promise of not seeking perm res back then (I wasn't anyway) and the whole 3mths with one employer and checks and balances from DIPB (whatever they were called back then) were a very pale shadow of what they are now.

If I were an employer, I'd want someone working for me for more than 6mths to take on sponsorship and given this economy, with so much talent on the ground locally, I'm not sure why they would.

I wish you luck though!