Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa to permanent employment

Working Holiday Visa to permanent employment

Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

jackyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa to permanent employment

Hello from the UK .

I am currently working as a Category Manager for a large multinational organisation in the UK. I have a UK undergraduate degree in Management and after studying abroad in Asia during my degree I have been eager to continue my professional career outside of the UK.

Australia has always been of interest to me and I was wondering what my chances were of securing a job there in procurement. Unfortunately there is no chance of getting a transfer through my current employer and from my understanding it is very difficult to secure work without being based over in Australia.

If I did choose to look for work in Australia I would;
- be 26 years old and have 3 1/2 years experience, all of which is at management level.
- My profession would fall under the CSOL list as 'procurement manager'.
- Currently earning circa £40k GBP

Firstly, what would be the chances of securing similar work and pay on a temporary basis under the working holiday visa? Sydney would be my number one destination followed by Melbourne.

Secondly, what are the chances of being able to secure a permanent position through sponsorship whilst on the working holiday visa?

Finally, would it be a better to travel over on a 3 week holiday and take some interviews before committing to a working holiday visa and leaving my employment in the UK?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa to permanent employment

You have posted in the immigration forum, but your question is really more about jobs than visas and you may get more responses in the main Austrlaia forum.

To be honest, your question is a little bit unanswerable unless somebody else in procurement comes along but I cannot think of any regular poster who is in procurement. To get a better feel for the job market, why not contact some recruitment agents that hire in this field, if you check www.seek.com.au you should get some leads.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Ahh my bad, thanks Bermudashorts. I shall seek some advice from the recruitment agencies .
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You have posted in the immigration forum, but your question is really more about jobs than visas and you may get more responses in the main Austrlaia forum.

To be honest, your question is a little bit unanswerable unless somebody else in procurement comes along but I cannot think of any regular poster who is in procurement. To get a better feel for the job market, why not contact some recruitment agents that hire in this field, if you check www.seek.com.au you should get some leads.
I have 20 yrs Oz Strategic Procurement, specializing in ICT contract management and embedded CoE. have managed teams and overseen major global P2P restructures.

Put it this way. I have experience in multiple blue chip global stock with some fairly heavy weight contacts. A few years ago, if I was to return to Oz I could have let the market know I was available and I would have been flown to SG for a meet and greet and be good to go.

Nowadays, the whole market has changed. I'm still in very regular contacts with my connections and things are not easy there. I am an Oz citizen and have no visa worries at all. Plus this is very much a profession that relies heavily on local experience.

Cat Man is most definitely not Proc Man level, so it would very doubtful your 3.5 yrs experience would be worth anything.

You'd probably get a gig on a WHV but I cannot see any pathway with what you've written to PR, given the marketplace right now.

Just go for the WHV experience and if something happens, then great.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tr1boy, great insight!