Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa financial requirements

Working holiday visa financial requirements

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

emuw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday visa financial requirements

Hi
I am hoping to come to Australia on a working holiday visa, i have been reading through the visa details and in the section about eligibility for the visa it says that you need sufficient funds to support yourself and that sufficient funds may be regarded as 5000AUS$ and that you may be asked to show evidence of this.
It seemed a bit vague to me so i was wondering what other people had found and if in their experience you are asked to show evidence of the money you had and how lenient they were about the exact amount you had.
Thanks very much
Emily
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Working holiday visa financial requirements

A credit card statement with a $5,000 (£3,000) available balance should do the trick

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

When I entered on a WHV (in 2003) those requirements were the same but I wasn't asked to show anything on arrival - no proof of funds and no proof of onward travel. Plenty of people have reported the same from what I can remember. You should of course be prepared to show something.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
When I entered on a WHV (in 2003) those requirements were the same but I wasn't asked to show anything on arrival - no proof of funds and no proof of onward travel. Plenty of people have reported the same from what I can remember. You should of course be prepared to show something.
I agree with this.

Of all the people I know who have come on a WHV, none of them have ever been asked to show the proof of funds.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:27 am
Just Joined

AStyle will become famous soon enough

Yep, I came in to 2 weeks ago on WHV and wasn't asked anything about funds or asked for proof...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:18 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here after uni on a WHV with an overdraft. That was the nineties.
Originally Posted by emuw
Hi
I am hoping to come to Australia on a working holiday visa, i have been reading through the visa details and in the section about eligibility for the visa it says that you need sufficient funds to support yourself and that sufficient funds may be regarded as 5000AUS$ and that you may be asked to show evidence of this.
It seemed a bit vague to me so i was wondering what other people had found and if in their experience you are asked to show evidence of the money you had and how lenient they were about the exact amount you had.
Thanks very much
Emily
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

My partner and I came in on WHVs last year and were not asked to provide evidence of funds, we didn't quite have the required amount either.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point

can i buy a one way ticket to australia if im on a one year working holiday,as the airline will only let me buy a return in march 2011, if i book my ticket now.(im not going till nov 2010).if i buy the return ticket i will have to pay to have the date changed,and im not sure if i will stay for a full year.is there a problem entering australia with just a one way ticket.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelong7
can i buy a one way ticket to australia if im on a one year working holiday,as the airline will only let me buy a return in march 2011, if i book my ticket now.(im not going till nov 2010).if i buy the return ticket i will have to pay to have the date changed,and im not sure if i will stay for a full year.is there a problem entering australia with just a one way ticket.
I entered on a one way ticket - no questions asked.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for reply.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

emma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really nice

hi i am entering on a skilled working visa , however my boyfriend is also coming over on a working holiday visa - is it true that h can only seek employmen for 6months at a time?

does this mean that every 6 months he will have to get another job? we didt realise this was the case and his job isnt on the skills list?

has anyone stayed longer on this type of visa?

chheeers
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Yes, he will have to change jobs after 6 months. Expect this fact to really limit his choice of jobs.

The visa lasts 12 months only, no extensions. You can now apply for a second WHV but only if you have spent 3 months working in the primary industries - i.e. Fruit picking - in a rural area. So absolute maximum stay is 2 years.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:29 pm
Brisbane please!

hectorafp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
I was exactly the same (except it was 2004)