Working Holiday Visa

Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Craig and Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa

Hi

Please can anyone offer any advice with regards to working holiday visas...?

My hubby and I are newly qualified secondary teachers and are wanting to move out to either Victoria or the Northern Territory.

For the 175 visa we need 12 months post teaching experience to be able to apply for PR; don't think we could stand another 12 months over here...

Are we able to apply for PR whilst out in Australia after we have completed 12 months work on a working holiday visa? Also, are we able to do two separate 6 month stints at two schools or would we be expected to do some work for three months on a farm etc

Went to an expo today but couldn't even get near the agents! Any help/ advice that could be provided would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

P.S Where exactly are the teacher shortages in Aus, believe it's a 60 pointer...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:18 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa

I think your biggest problem will be getting registration as a teacher in any Australian State or Territory - without registration you will not be able to work. Try to find the registration requirements and see if you'll make it.

You may better gritting your teeth and working for 12 months where you are, saving all your cash and applying in 12 months.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig and Cat
Hi

Please can anyone offer any advice with regards to working holiday visas...?

My hubby and I are newly qualified secondary teachers and are wanting to move out to either Victoria or the Northern Territory.

For the 175 visa we need 12 months post teaching experience to be able to apply for PR; don't think we could stand another 12 months over here...

Are we able to apply for PR whilst out in Australia after we have completed 12 months work on a working holiday visa? Also, are we able to do two separate 6 month stints at two schools or would we be expected to do some work for three months on a farm etc

Went to an expo today but couldn't even get near the agents! Any help/ advice that could be provided would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

P.S Where exactly are the teacher shortages in Aus, believe it's a 60 pointer...
Try visiting the Teaching forum on here - that'll help you with the minefield of registrations for the different States.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:43 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

DIAC require 12 months work experience so I'm not sure how you could do 12 months teaching with at least 20 hours a week every week??
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:49 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Why don't you look into the 457 state sponsored visas?

The WH visa is not really the best foot in the door, as you'd be doing general supply day to day. I am not there, so this is based on colleagues and friends in Oz already. From what I can gather from friends already there, it's not a sign of a commitment to a career in Oz.
That said, I know many teachers who have found it a great way of paying for their working holiday, as they can work less to cover their trips, compared to say bar work.
Depends on what you want, a new life, or a holiday?

The Teaching forum is well worth a proper read, as this has come up before.

The 457 Visa is offered for certain subjects and certain regions by different states. The commitment is 2 years but the sponsoring state ehlps you set up and helps with costs etc.
For example I am going next year to WA but I have to go rural, which is fine with me.

On the 457 you are entitled to apply for PR, I think in the 2nd year or during, I am not 100% sure. Someone on the Teaching forum will know better.