Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Work experience requirement for subclass 190 Victorian State nomination

Work experience requirement for subclass 190 Victorian State nomination

Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

zackinaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work experience requirement for subclass 190 Victorian State nomination

Dear all,

I am looking to apply for subclass 190 with state nomination from Victoria.

I should have enough points:

30 years old - 30points
Proficient English - 10points
Bachelor Degree from Adelaide - 15points
Australian study requirement - 5points
Studied in regional area - 5points

Without claiming points for the state nomination and skilled employment I should already met the pass mark 60 with 65 points.

My occupation ANZSCO 141311 Hotel or Motel Manager is on the short term occupation list with following work experience requirement:

-Five years. Must have experience in a large, international firm and managerial experience.

For the past five years I started working as a front desk officer for three years. I have then moved to an international well known hotel group to be a Reception Supervisor. One more year later I was promoted to Front Office Assistant Manager and have been in the position over a year now.

I would like to clarify if I met the work experience requirement or I have to be in the manager position for five whole years.

I would also like to know if I can claim skilled points for these 5 years of employment in hospitality industry.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Zack
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work experience requirement for subclass 190 Victorian State nomination

Originally Posted by zackinaus
Dear all,

I am looking to apply for subclass 190 with state nomination from Victoria.

I should have enough points:

30 years old - 30points
Proficient English - 10points
Bachelor Degree from Adelaide - 15points
Australian study requirement - 5points
Studied in regional area - 5points

Without claiming points for the state nomination and skilled employment I should already met the pass mark 60 with 65 points.

My occupation ANZSCO 141311 Hotel or Motel Manager is on the short term occupation list with following work experience requirement:

-Five years. Must have experience in a large, international firm and managerial experience.

For the past five years I started working as a front desk officer for three years. I have then moved to an international well known hotel group to be a Reception Supervisor. One more year later I was promoted to Front Office Assistant Manager and have been in the position over a year now.

I would like to clarify if I met the work experience requirement or I have to be in the manager position for five whole years.

I would also like to know if I can claim skilled points for these 5 years of employment in hospitality industry.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Zack
My guess would be no since they are likely asking for 5 years experience as a hotel manager and I'm not sure you would even meet the one year requirement necessary for a valid skills assessment (that would depend on the roles and responsibilities of your current position).

Best bet - have a chat with a reputable MARA agent.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Work experience requirement for subclass 190 Victorian State nomination

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My guess would be no since they are likely asking for 5 years experience as a hotel manager and I'm not sure you would even meet the one year requirement necessary for a valid skills assessment (that would depend on the roles and responsibilities of your current position).

Best bet - have a chat with a reputable MARA agent.
Thank you for the input old.sparkles.

My position now is actually equals to Duty Manager who oversee the operations of whole hotel. I also handle emergency situations too. Below are the requirement from the skill assessment authority website:

Hotel or Motel Manager (Degree Level) (ANZSCO Code 141311)

This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an AQF Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then five additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

A highly relevant field of study would be Hospitality Management, which is the study of managing the operations of organisations which provide hospitality services (ASCED).

I believe all my post-qualification employment are highly relevant to the nominated position albeit the junior posts.

Do all these sound valid for my work experience claim?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with old.sparkles, unfortunately. They very likely mean the requirement is for a (full) manager, not just working in a hotel or motel.

I do agree that you should speak to a MARA-registered agent; in case DIBP may have a broader view of "relevant experience" for hotel/motel manager than they do for other professions.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 11th 2017 at 3:03 am.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. ....

I believe all my post-qualification employment are highly relevant to the nominated position albeit the junior posts.

Do all these sound valid for my work experience claim?
So not an appropriate skill level then?

Best bet still stands - speak to a MARA agent for the best advice in this case.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:14 am
Just Joined

So not an appropriate skill level then?

Best bet still stands - speak to a MARA agent for the best advice in this case.

Thanks again old.sparkles.

I am referring to my manager position now is at an appropriate skill level which at least met the requirement for the skill assessment (at least one year employment). I may not be able to claim points for that but at least it can lead to a positive skill assessment.

I would like to know if it is even possible for lodging before I go to an agent.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:19 am

Thanks again old.sparkles.

I am referring to my manager position now is at an appropriate skill level which at least met the requirement for the skill assessment (at least one year employment). I may not be able to claim points for that but at least it can lead to a positive skill assessment.

I would like to know if it is even possible for lodging before I go to an agent.
Are you currently in Victoria or another state?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Are you currently in Victoria or another state?
I am currently residing in Hong Kong and working in a property of Accor Hotels with 389 rooms.