Why do you want to migrate ??

Old Dec 16th 2002, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do you want to migrate ??

First of all I am aussie and love Australia. I also love the UK. I used to live there for 3 years as a kid and have holidayed there about 4 times since.

You have a great country. The soccer is absorbing, the pubs, the scenery, history, etc are as good as anywhere. I rate it one of the best holiday destinations in the world, and looking at how many aussies go there, so do thousands of others.

Some people migrate because of wars, stuffed economy etc. But in the UK these are relatively good. So what are people's reasons for wanting to migrate ??

Cheers

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Dec 16th 2002, 10:15 am
karlloss

Default Re: Why do you want to migrate ??

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
First of all I am aussie and love Australia. I also love the UK. I used to live there for 3 years as a kid and have holidayed there about 4 times since.

You have a great country. The soccer is absorbing, the pubs, the scenery, history, etc are as good as anywhere. I rate it one of the best holiday destinations in the world, and looking at how many aussies go there, so do thousands of others.

Some people migrate because of wars, stuffed economy etc. But in the UK these are relatively good. So what are people's reasons for wanting to migrate ??

Cheers

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
I think one of the main reasons has go to be the climate. As I type this I am looking out my window and as usual it is cold wet raining and it just drags you down.
Of course there are other factors social and economic but if we are true to are self’s it’s got to be the weather.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Maybe Lifestyle ? Not Money.

Why Australia ? The English language, shared culture. Where else ?Canada would be too cold and wintery for me. The US, too US-centric. South Africa too uneasy. New Zealand ... saw a movie called 'Once Were Warriors'.

Migrate seems a bit final and once and for all with a return ticket costing about the price of a PC.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

vavavoom is an unknown quantity at this point

You could ask any Aussie the same question and the give same arguments (plus the weather)! Whenever I meet an Aussie, I always do, and all of them say they love it here in London but always plan to go back home after their travels.

I agree the UK is a great holiday destination. I am not sure however if it's a great place to live, for reasons too many to mention, really. We are at a point that simply, our lifestyle here does not meet our needs, and it's not like we have poorly paid jobs. Australia is more or less exactly the kind of place we are looking for and it's definitely worth a try.

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil

Cheers

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Dec 17th 2002, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

once were worriors was a fantastic film...surely not enough to put you off a whole country?

...esp as australia gave the world- home and away -neighbours, -sons and daughters etc etc

cheers

richard
Old Dec 17th 2002, 10:23 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i agree the uk maybe a great country to live in, 15 years ago!
the problem is now that the whole country is economically unstable,reduncies everywhere, people are just too gready now more than ever,violence on the constant increase, house prices are just stupid now and are still going up, skilled trade poeple are no longer respected as i time seved trade person anymore, always under world terrorist threat now more than ever before( always siding up with the big boys to keep face) and lets face it ;is it the ideal place to raise a family unless you have silly amounts of money that you dont know what to do with it and you can live in a fancy area with kids in a private school ? we get taxed on taxes , need i go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2002, 4:51 am
Just Joined

sarah b is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree the UK is fantastic for all of your reasons, however the place does not rival Australia in terms of standard of living. As you havent lived in the UK properly since you were a kid (and were obviously with your folks) your views are probably a little nostalgic (not meant to offend!) and I doubt you can really appreciate the difference between going there on holiday (holidaying there is awesome) and actually living there independently for a long period of time.
Dont get me wrong, the UK is a fantastic place. But people want to move to Oz for the warm climate, laid back easy-going lifestyle and amazing lifestyle (on any budget). Have you ever lived in London for example? Its excruciatingly expensive (to the point where many people, including executives cant afford to buy a home, and the rent can be crippling), very cold, generally dirty, and living arrangements and transport can be an absolute nightmare. For some people (eg Londoners), living a modern spacious home (maybe even near the beach), being able to drive to work in reasonable time (rather than packed onto the tube like sweaty sardines in a can), get from A to B without tube strikes and fuss, and be able to afford to eat out and treat yourself occasionally is a luxury. After travelling a fair bit I've come to realise that the average australian has a very privileged life when compared with other western counterparts, and we tend to take a lot of these things for granted.
(Also - I think a lot of Aussies tend to go to London and the UK to use it mainly as a base for travelling around Europe and earning the almighty pounds sterling)

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil [/i]

Cheers

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ratliffe
Yes i agree the uk maybe a great country to live in, 15 years ago!
the problem is now that the whole country is economically unstable,reduncies everywhere, people are just too gready now more than ever,violence on the constant increase, house prices are just stupid now and are still going up, skilled trade poeple are no longer respected as i time seved trade person anymore, always under world terrorist threat now more than ever before( always siding up with the big boys to keep face) and lets face it ;is it the ideal place to raise a family unless you have silly amounts of money that you dont know what to do with it and you can live in a fancy area with kids in a private school ? we get taxed on taxes , need i go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES fully agreed on that one, thats the way it is here in the UK.............WELL SAID!!!
Old Dec 19th 2002, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

mirne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default would like to immigrate to zealand

hi
im from bosnia can you help me to go on zealand im 19 male ill be 20 in febryary
my reason is economical , i heard that zealand is good contry and can easy find job
plz if you can help help me