Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:32 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Having seen a number of posts on this forum (and others) since the weekend expo in London it perplexes me why so many employers persist in looking at the subclass 457 visa as a means of sponsoring individuals when there are more attractive visa permanent residency visa outcomes available - ie the Employer Nomination Scheme and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Why would an individual uproot him/herself (plus - usually - family) with no certainty of a permanent residency visa at the end of the day?

I appreciate there are tax benefits available to 457 visaholders, but this doesn't seem to be a reason that is being cited.

Comments appreciated from those who attended the expos.

Best regards.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:22 am
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default Re: Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Having seen a number of posts on this forum (and others) since the weekend expo in London it perplexes me why so many employers persist in looking at the subclass 457 visa as a means of sponsoring individuals when there are more attractive visa permanent residency visa outcomes available - ie the Employer Nomination Scheme and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Why would an individual uproot him/herself (plus - usually - family) with no certainty of a permanent residency visa at the end of the day?

I appreciate there are tax benefits available to 457 visaholders, but this doesn't seem to be a reason that is being cited.

Best regards.
Hi Alan

We did not go to the Expo this weekend, luckily as some would say as it apparently was very badly organised from a lot of post i have seen, but we may have a sponsor, we recieved an E-mail from a company in NSW on friday/early hours sat morn i will give you an except from the e-mail

Thank you for your Resume. I was very interested and feel that you would be suitable in our fire alarm service department.
Automatic fire is one of the larger fire protection companies in Australia

I am wondering what your plans are? When do intend on coming to Australia.
Please advise of any assistance we can be to assist you in making this happen

now as i understand it unless my husband does TRA and passes we have no option but to go on a 457 temp visa, we really as a family would like to go for PR from the start but if husbands does not do or pass the TRA then i thought this was our only option,

we did E-mail the comapny back asking for sponsorship and am awaiting a reply so will let you know in process, we will be calling your offices also for a quote on how much it will cost for gomatilda to process this application if they do agree to sponsor and see if you or one of your colleagues are able to assist with getting a PR rather than a 457,

but just a quick question , what is the difference in timescale on a 457 than PR .

kind regards
michell
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:40 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Michell,

As I have said before, you are asking questions as to visa strategy. We will be pleased to advise on this in a formal capacity.

Best regards.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:05 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if my answer will be relevant as we didn't attend any expos but wrt your second paragraph - why?

For us, a 457 is just a quick way for the company to get us there. It's an intra-company transfer, and PR is the next step although we need to do our sums before deciding to kick it off.

Of course we are naively expecting it to be straight-forward.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Best regards.
Hi Alan,

My husband went to the Expo, he was invited under the catagory of 'Driver' which is not on the skilled list. He's a digger (excavator) driver and felt he got positive feedback from the expo for the 457 sponsorship route.

With regards to why? Well for us we have no choice other than this route as he is not on the skilled list. Ideally we would love to go PR straight away. After visiting Australia we personally feel it's a better environment for our kids with it's outdoor lifestyle and less overcrowded than UK which takes forever just to get down the road.

So for us we would rather gamble and try than live the rest of our life having regrets and wondering of the what if's. If we try and can't get in or have to come back to UK after a number of years, at least we tried!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

I think Alan is asking why EMPLOYERS are going for 457 when they could go another route which is more permanent - not the individual. Obviously if you're desperate to go you'll go whatever route you can.

Nicky

Last edited by nickynush; Mar 17th 2008 at 4:53 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we didnt attend the London Expo, but the reason we go for the 457 visa is because Partner works in industrial sales, (sells materials handling equiptment) but he has no degree, just work experience in this sector.
Not having the degree causes us problems because employers cant sponsor us for perm residency straight away. We have to take the chance...
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickynush
I think Alan is asking why EMPLOYERS are going for 457 when they could go another route which is more permanent - not the individual. Obviously if you're desperate to go you'll go whatever route you can.

Nicky
I understood this to be separate questions to:

'Employers'

'The individual' - applicable to myself and my family. (quote ended with a ?)

'Those who attended the expos' - My husband did!

Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

I do apologize - I am obviously terribly stupid!! I just thought "Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?" was asking why Employers offered it instead of a more permanent route. Didn't really want to start an argument - just saying

Nicky

Last edited by nickynush; Mar 17th 2008 at 11:08 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Main reasons as follows, I would think:

1. Employers who think that permanent migration visas take a very long time to process (or are not possible from Day One etc); or

2. Less than ethical employers who prefer their employees to be on temporary visas;

3. Employers who don't understand the costs/problems inherent in temporary visas; or

4. Employers who don't trust their new employee to remain with them for a reasonable period.

There are of course the legitimate reasons, such as a multinational transferring someone to Australia for a limited time period, but these cases are less problematic because employer usually picks up all the extra costs and pays for relocation both ways.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say its not just small companies bringing people on 457 temp visa.

e.g Government departments like education- teaching, health -nursing. You would think they are so desperate they would do the PR sooner.

GEMS
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:26 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So the employer is using a 457 to get us there as quickly as possible and we are prepared to be "uprooted" this way because we understand that.

It's a MNC my husband already works for, they've done it before (same starting location too), we trust them, and no - we're not desperate at all.

You may have been partly correct, Nicky, but you sure have a way with words.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:12 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Because they can meet their skills shortages faster; the administrative burden is (marginally) lower; the employee is effectively tied to the employer; employers can get employess whose skillset/qualifications are not otherwise listed; they can use the existence of LAFHA to allow the ATO to pick up part of the costs of employment (can offer higher salaries but not pay the full cost).

Lots of good reasons really. I don't think that PR offers any greater degree of 'permanancy' to the employer; only to the employee.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Because they can meet their skills shortages faster;
Only marginally so.

the administrative burden is (marginally) lower;
More admin post-visa grant, though.

the employee is effectively tied to the employer;
Should not be important to a good employer.

employers can get employess whose skillset/qualifications are not otherwise listed;
457 visa has its own skill requirements. Not all jobs are acceptable.

they can use the existence of LAFHA to allow the ATO to pick up part of the costs of employment (can offer higher salaries but not pay the full cost).

Lots of good reasons really. I don't think that PR offers any greater degree of 'permanancy' to the employer; only to the employee.
It really comes down to a negotiating position. Many people will refuse to work for an employer on a basis that is only marginally better a modern form of indentured service.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:30 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by jayr
Because they can meet their skills shortages faster; the administrative burden is (marginally) lower; the employee is effectively tied to the employer; employers can get employess whose skillset/qualifications are not otherwise listed; they can use the existence of LAFHA to allow the ATO to pick up part of the costs of employment (can offer higher salaries but not pay the full cost).

You don't think that in a competitive market for skilled people the employer that offers permanent residency might secure an employee over the employer that offers a 457 visa?

I would have thought that offering to facilitate a permanent residency visa would put an employer at a competitive advantage in a tight labour market.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.