who applying 457 thread

Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who applying 457 thread

Originally Posted by oztime
Hi there,

Just joined this site today as Hubby just accepted job offer in Melbourne and the 457 applicaion is about to be started. They're hoping it'll take 6 weeks to process but I have no idea, do you reckon that's very unlikely?

Does anyone know anything about the process of getting PR once on a 457?

Thanks, Leann.
hello leann

at the moment they are taking longer to process than 6 weeks. have you got all yr paperwork together so that there is no delays and haveyou booked yr medicals/xrays which is taking a long time to process at the moment

if you haven't get them booked and front load them

the company that we are going out with after 2yrs will sponser us for pr.

take care and other questions feel free to ask

tiffany (hitchcock)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Knutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
hello leann

at the moment they are taking longer to process than 6 weeks. have you got all yr paperwork together so that there is no delays and haveyou booked yr medicals/xrays which is taking a long time to process at the moment

if you haven't get them booked and front load them

the company that we are going out with after 2yrs will sponser us for pr.

take care and other questions feel free to ask

tiffany (hitchcock)
Hi there Tiffany,

Thanks for your reply that's great, no we haven't got anything together, we've only just found out about it all. That's a good idea about sorting the medicals out now, is there something specific that we need to do with this or can we just go to our normal GP and tell them we want medicals/xrays done? We're living in Dubai at the moment but I don't suppose that will make any difference to anything.

About PR too, I wasn't sure if it was 12 months or 2 years before you can apply, I've heard different things from different people, but I guess we can wait 2 years. Do you know of many benefits of getting PR as opposed to being on a 457?

Thanks
Leann.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oztime
Hi there Tiffany,

Thanks for your reply that's great, no we haven't got anything together, we've only just found out about it all. That's a good idea about sorting the medicals out now, is there something specific that we need to do with this or can we just go to our normal GP and tell them we want medicals/xrays done? We're living in Dubai at the moment but I don't suppose that will make any difference to anything.

About PR too, I wasn't sure if it was 12 months or 2 years before you can apply, I've heard different things from different people, but I guess we can wait 2 years. Do you know of many benefits of getting PR as opposed to being on a 457?

Thanks
Leann.

medicals have to be done in special centre dont know where you'd have to go in dubai
think you only need xrays children need fully medicals

there is a lot of difference in 457 v pr there is a big thread on here about it you will find it if you do a search on 457
hope that helps
hitchcock
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dont know how to link thread so i have cut and paste instead

457 Visa Restrictions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restrictions on a 457 visa vs permanent residence

1. You can only work for your sponsoring employer. You are forbidden to have any secondary employment. If you are laid off, you have 28 days to find a new employer (plus sponsor) or leave Australia.
2. School fees in NSW (and possibly some other states - you need to check) - AUD4.5k per child per year
3. The time does not count for Australian citizenship.
4. Children born to you in Australia will not be Australian citizens by birth.
5. Your spouse will have unrestricted work rights but will find it hard to get career-orientated jobs as employers usually prefer citizens/PRs
6. Your children will be treated as "overseas students" if they go to university in Australia. If you are from the UK they may be treated as 'overseas students' back in the UK too unless they meet a 3 year residence requirement, even if British citizens. You need to check this in detail.
7. As your children get older (especially once they turn 18), it may be harder to include them in a permanent visa application. They could end up having to go home once deemed "independent" even if the rest of the family gets permanent residence
8. You will face FIRB restrictions on buying property.
9. No eligibility for Medicare, other than limited reciprocal healthcare schemes for some nationalities. Health insurance will be more expensive.
Once you apply for a PR visa you are normally eligible for Medicare.
10. No entitlement to social security or welfare benefits. This includes benefits paid to mothers of new babies, and things like the first home buyers grant.
11. No automatic entitlement to permanent residence (PR). Bear in mind the usual problem is that the employer won't sponsor for PR. Not can't - won't.
You must also bear in mind that a death, illness or divorce/separation before PR is granted could leave some or all family members in a very difficult visa situation.
12. Some professions and occupations (eg migration agent) are closed to those without permanent residence.
13. You cannot sponsor relatives for permanent residence or sign an Assurance of Support for migration purposes.
14. There is no legal bar on obtaining credit (eg loans, credit cards) but you will likely find it harder to get one without permanent status.

Benefits of the 457:

15. Although in general 457 holders pay the same taxes as Australians (for little or no benefit) there are a few tax breaks available to temporary residents. The most notable one is Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA). However this must be negotiated as part of your salary package and is under threat as soon as you apply for a permanent visa. The same goes for the other temporary resident tax exemptions. Most 457 holders (other than those who are expatriates employed by multinationals, who are in a different situation to most) believe that the tax concessions do not compensate for the limited rights they have compared to permanent residents.
Note: Under Government proposals from 1 July 2006, most 457 visa holders will not be assessed for tax on non-Australian source income. However this will only benefit those with significant investments overseas.

16. 457 visa holders are eligible to recover their superannuation (less tax) when they leave Australia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Pollyana : Sep 30th 2006 at 8:50 am.

JAJ
View Public Profile
Send a private message to JAJ
Send email to JAJ
Find More Posts by JAJ
Add JAJ to Your Buddy List
Challenge JAJ in the Arcade!

Aug 11th 2006, 5:34 am
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

fontii will become famous soon enough

dont know how to link thread so i have cut and paste instead

457 Visa Restrictions

Restrictions on a 457 visa vs permanent residence

1. You can only work for your sponsoring employer. You are forbidden to have any secondary employment. If you are laid off, you have 28 days to find a new employer (plus sponsor) or leave Australia.
2. School fees in NSW (and possibly some other states - you need to check) - AUD4.5k per child per year
3. The time does not count for Australian citizenship.
4. Children born to you in Australia will not be Australian citizens by birth.
5. Your spouse will have unrestricted work rights but will find it hard to get career-orientated jobs as employers usually prefer citizens/PRs
6. Your children will be treated as "overseas students" if they go to university in Australia. If you are from the UK they may be treated as 'overseas students' back in the UK too unless they meet a 3 year residence requirement, even if British citizens. You need to check this in detail.
7. As your children get older (especially once they turn 18), it may be harder to include them in a permanent visa application. They could end up having to go home once deemed "independent" even if the rest of the family gets permanent residence
8. You will face FIRB restrictions on buying property.
9. No eligibility for Medicare, other than limited reciprocal healthcare schemes for some nationalities. Health insurance will be more expensive.
Once you apply for a PR visa you are normally eligible for Medicare.
10. No entitlement to social security or welfare benefits. This includes benefits paid to mothers of new babies, and things like the first home buyers grant.
11. No automatic entitlement to permanent residence (PR). Bear in mind the usual problem is that the employer won't sponsor for PR. Not can't - won't.
You must also bear in mind that a death, illness or divorce/separation before PR is granted could leave some or all family members in a very difficult visa situation.
12. Some professions and occupations (eg migration agent) are closed to those without permanent residence.
13. You cannot sponsor relatives for permanent residence or sign an Assurance of Support for migration purposes.
14. There is no legal bar on obtaining credit (eg loans, credit cards) but you will likely find it harder to get one without permanent status.

Benefits of the 457:

15. Although in general 457 holders pay the same taxes as Australians (for little or no benefit) there are a few tax breaks available to temporary residents. The most notable one is Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA). However this must be negotiated as part of your salary package and is under threat as soon as you apply for a permanent visa. The same goes for the other temporary resident tax exemptions. Most 457 holders (other than those who are expatriates employed by multinationals, who are in a different situation to most) believe that the tax concessions do not compensate for the limited rights they have compared to permanent residents.
Note: Under Government proposals from 1 July 2006, most 457 visa holders will not be assessed for tax on non-Australian source income. However this will only benefit those with significant investments overseas.

16. 457 visa holders are eligible to recover their superannuation (less tax) when they leave Australia.

Last edited by Pollyana : Sep 30th 2006 at 8:50 am.

JAJ
View Public Profile
Send a private message to JAJ
Send email to JAJ
Find More Posts by JAJ
Add JAJ to Your Buddy List
Challenge JAJ in the Arcade!

Aug 11th 2006, 5:34 am
Hi, just applied for an E457 recently and my status today is:

24.7.07 Application received - processing commenced
24.7.07 Application fee received

24.7.07 Health requirements outstanding
1.8.07 Further medical results received

I just had to have a chest xray and no medical but can anyone tell my why it still says 'health requirements outstanding'? Is it because the results haven't been processed yet?

I've been sponsored in Bris-vegas and am aiming to be there for early September. Can't wait!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Hiya

My husband's just been offered a job this morning so we will be travelling on a 457 visa with our 2 children - just need to sell our house first! I think it will take longer to sell the house than for the visa but hopefully should be out before the summer starts!

Where are all you guys going - we're off to Sydney.

Sarah
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fontii
Hi, just applied for an E457 recently and my status today is:

24.7.07 Application received - processing commenced
24.7.07 Application fee received

24.7.07 Health requirements outstanding

I just had to have a chest xray and no medical but can anyone tell my why it still says 'health requirements outstanding'? Is it because the results haven't been processed yet?
[[/COLOR][/FONT]
I've been sponsored in Bris-vegas and am aiming to be there for early September. Can't wait!
meds haven't been processed yet
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

meds haven't been processed yet
Yeah - you're looking for the message - "meds finalised".

Mine took one week others are taking 4 - 6 weeks+
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

boyz119 will become famous soon enoughboyz119 will become famous soon enough

Ours also only took 1 week from meds received to processed, but that was nearly 6 weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks agoooooooooooo
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: who applying 457 thread

hey all
just found site today(im very slow) applied for 457 and completed medicals and xrays last week: just waiting now to book flights.due to start job in september but not sure if visa will be in time? moving with hubby and: 2 kids 16 and9.cant wait..anyone else going out to brisbane
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza
hey all
just found site today(im very slow) applied for 457 and completed medicals and xrays last week: just waiting now to book flights.due to start job in september but not sure if visa will be in time? moving with hubby and: 2 kids 16 and9.cant wait..anyone else going out to brisbane
You don't specify which September 2008 or 2009 ?

Sorry that's no way to welcome you. I've been on here 5 weeks now an learnt sooo much and been helped by sooo many people. You may gather from some posts that 457's in fact anything are taking an age at the moment.

Specified time for 457 is 6 - 8 weeks, but today we heard of one person who got the whole lot in 2 weeks others waiting 10 or 12 weeks
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

boyz119 will become famous soon enoughboyz119 will become famous soon enough

Welcome & good luck.

I was hoping for Sept departure, however that was back in May, looking less and less likely, by the day.

You'll find tonnes of useful info on here, just use the search, if you really can't find your answer just ask away, someone somewhere is likely to be able to answer it.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

oopsssssss. thanks for the reply. well we hope to be in oz for september 07.had a look at site looks realy informative jst wish i found it months ago Ive just had an email from immigration theyve received medical reports.so guess by the looks of things its just a waiting game?:
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

would agree with roger & boyz

the advice that i have recieved here has been brilliant, and also talking to other people who are in same boat as you has been great.

and when some one get there visa its like great brilliant they got it and then on the other hand why cant it be me.

so thanks guys!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks.it is a relief to know that there is others out there in the same boat as us..head is bursting trying to get info on the skools etc.does anyone know if i should wait until i arrive before renting accommodation or should i arrange it via internet? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.